Speaker coupling/ decoupling; Ethan Winer speaker isolation products testing

Danny Richie

Thanks Danny. Nomenclature aside, have you used anything that you recommend to dampen vibrations for your speakers on live wood floors? My wife was raised in Texas & still has family there, so I know that most houses are on concrete slabs, but with older ones being pier & beam. Anand mentioned No Rez as a possible effective layer & I know that you sell it for speaker linings. Have you ever tried it under speakers?

I get mixed results from the speakers setting on thick carpet. Upper ranges and imaging is good, but low bass, not so much. If servo subs are built into the speaker then they need to be spiked to the floor. You might want to spike the subs and try dampers on your speakers if they aren't playing down too low.

Captainhemo

We've got a set of these under  Don's  NX-Tremes and they seem to be working well.
His speakers  are  on  carpet so a large  2'x2' tile  sits direct on the carpet, then   the  "iso pods", then the  speakers
http://www.isoacoustics.com/isoacoustics-news/isoacoustics-gaia-speaker-isolation-available-in-the-us-and-canada/

I'm sure you  could get  away with the  smaller ones  for the N3Tl's, yo'd have to call  about thread sizing
jay

brother love

Thanks Jay, I appreciate the input! I had looked into the GAIA isolator series when I was looking at the other IsoAcoustic products.  The N3's lined w/ No-Rez weigh 57# each, so I could get by with the III smallest versions. But at $400 for a speaker pair, it's not an option for me.  The L8R-200 sub fixed isolators would work, & for $120 are a strong possibility.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
AFAIK, all IsoAcoustics products use the same tech, just different form factors.

debjit.g

I had looked into the GAIA isolator series when I was looking at the other IsoAcoustic products.  The N3's lined w/ No-Rez weigh 57# each, so I could get by with the III smallest versions. But at $400 for a speaker pair, it's not an option for me.  The L8R-200 sub fixed isolators would work, & for $120 are a strong possibility.

You won't regret one bit purchasing the GAIAs. I was in the same boat for getting the GAIA-II but after purchasing I think its one of the best investment I have ever made in audio.

Captainhemo

Thanks Jay, I appreciate the input! I had looked into the GAIA isolator series when I was looking at the other IsoAcoustic products.  The N3's lined w/ No-Rez weigh 57# each, so I could get by with the III smallest versions. But at $400 for a speaker pair, it's not an option for me.  The L8R-200 sub fixed isolators would work, & for $120 are a strong possibility.

Yeah, it's unfortunate how  spendy they are :(
They are available in   the 8mm  thread that  fits  Danny's inserts sold with his kits.

jay

timind

• permanent vacation
Gotta say watching that Ethan Winer video was a bit creepy. What was he thinking?

Hear Clifford Brown

I made these after reading some of what Barry Diament wrote on Computer Audiophile.  MDF on the floor with three drawer pulls attached that have a concave face.  These are for the ball bearings to rest on.  The top MDF has a large ceramic tile attached to the bottom with liquid nails.  This is for the ball bearings to have a hard smooth surface.  Actually a friend made these for his Magnepan 3.7i speakers and he said "All I can say that it has taken my 3.7s to a new level.  Vocals just sound more realistic.  Cymbals and percussion just have added resolution.  The entire presentation sounds clearer."  I can't say I hear that much of a difference, but there is more clarity.  I'm not sure if the improvement I hear just comes from raising the Spatial M3 Triode Masters up a bit.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/35143-vibration-air-roller-bearings-thanks-to-barry-warren/?tab=comments#comment-713639

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Gotta say watching that Ethan Winer video was a bit creepy. What was he thinking?
Ethan is for sure, ahhh,   --  different. 

TJHUB

I made these after reading some of what Barry Diament wrote on Computer Audiophile.  MDF on the floor with three drawer pulls attached that have a concave face.  These are for the ball bearings to rest on.  The top MDF has a large ceramic tile attached to the bottom with liquid nails.  This is for the ball bearings to have a hard smooth surface.  Actually a friend made these for his Magnepan 3.7i speakers and he said "All I can say that it has taken my 3.7s to a new level.  Vocals just sound more realistic.  Cymbals and percussion just have added resolution.  The entire presentation sounds clearer."  I can't say I hear that much of a difference, but there is more clarity.  I'm not sure if the improvement I hear just comes from raising the Spatial M3 Triode Masters up a bit.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/35143-vibration-air-roller-bearings-thanks-to-barry-warren/?tab=comments#comment-713639

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/

Do you have some sort of link to the concave drawer pulls you used?

Wind Chaser

I'm not sure if the improvement I hear just comes from raising the Spatial M3 Triode Masters up a bit.

Well just lifting them up certainly makes a difference. I've raised mine so that the center of the compression driver matches the height of my ears. Try doing this and see how you like it; I know I sure do. :D 

Isolation is a bonus, and to be honest I think boxed speakers benefit more from it than OBs.

Hear Clifford Brown

I bought them at Home Depot, but can't find a link after looking for quite a while.

Wind Chaser

I thought it was brilliant.  :o :lol:

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
We've got a set of these under  Don's  NX-Tremes and they seem to be working well.
His speakers  are  on  carpet so a large  2'x2' tile  sits direct on the carpet, then   the  "iso pods", then the  speakers
http://www.isoacoustics.com/isoacoustics-news/isoacoustics-gaia-speaker-isolation-available-in-the-us-and-canada/

I'm sure you  could get  away with the  smaller ones  for the N3Tl's, yo'd have to call  about thread sizing
jay

did you consider getting the carpet spikes for the gaia's ?

ctviggen

I bought them at Home Depot, but can't find a link after looking for quite a while.

Your speakers are sitting only on ball bearings?  You're not concerned about someone hitting them and knocking them over?  With two kids, I'd be terrified of this, though my kids have not hit my speakers (too many times).

brother love

Thanks for the awesome info/ links/ pics Hear Clifford Brown!  8)  This is right up my alley. I have a lot of reading & research to do. This ball bearing method for speakers & components &  Rollo's 7/8" dia. wood dowel roller method for speakers are ones that I definitely want to audition & experiment with! For now, the IsoAcoustic stands are my "safety".  :lol:

brother love

douple post.

TJHUB

Thanks.  I think I found them.

maty

Cheap:

Two woods or thick MDF. You create internal walls using polyurethane. You close three sides with polyurethane. Add construction sand that is dry. Close the fourth side. Now you have mass (MDF+sand) and quay (polyurethane or viscoelastic material equivalent). The sand is a fantastic shock absorber too.

The external polyurethane can be MDF or...

You leave the sides pretty. Sealant and varnish or paint.

Four/three beautiful metal legs.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
In the OP doesn't the use of the rickety wooden table invalidate all the results?  Shouldn't the speakers rest on the most solid surface possible so that the effect of each isolation devise could be measured more accurately rather than through the lens of the unstable platform that smears everything?

For Rollo's excellent suggestion of the 7/8" dowels, I'm wondering if they should be parallel with the sides or front of the speaker.  From the post I believe he's saying parallel with the front/back, but I'm thinking parallel with the sides would halt any forward/back movement caused by the speaker moving in the same direction.