Super 7's rev 2

2bigears

Super 7's rev 2
« on: 31 Oct 2017, 02:40 am »
 :D hi  Danny.   Is there plans of a S7 we all can afford.  Even not as good to an extent but close to keep
      costs down to earth.   :D a simple thought.
           Regards

Nick77

Re: Super 7's rev 2
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2017, 10:58 am »
Danny hinted at the possibility saying parts are available for the ambitious. Baffle seemed to be the obstacle but the Captain seemed willing to do a run if interest level was worthy.

How many units would we need Captain??  :scratch:   I sure would like to hear these.  :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2017, 01:18 pm »
 :D  right on my Brother audio lover.  Happy Halloween.  A very spooky day the little kiddies love.
          This S7 had such a good rep yet IT's GONE ?  Can we build a similar set at a good cost even
              close to ?  A simple thought.  Ghosts and Goblins at the door !   :D

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2017, 01:41 pm »
:  Can we build a similar set at a good cost... even close to ? 
Yes.  Flat pack the front baffle or include a pattern for the wave guide, and it wouldn't be hard to make.  Not as easy as cutting a few holes, but certainly not rocket science.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2017, 02:25 pm »
I have a finished pair that I can let go of for the right price.

I also have the prototype test baffle that I can send out if someone is willing to write the code to have them CNC cut. The rest is a fairly easy build.

I also have all the drivers in stock as well as the crossovers. I can even offer various crossover upgrades to those that want to give them their own personal touch.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2017, 02:31 pm »
:D  right on my Brother audio lover.  Happy Halloween.  A very spooky day the little kiddies love.
          This S7 had such a good rep yet IT's GONE ?  Can we build a similar set at a good cost even
              close to ?  A simple thought.  Ghosts and Goblins at the door !   :D

NX-Otica and NX-Treme kits are available.

I have been flipping back and forth between the Super-7 and the NX-Otica. There are trade offs between the two. Some will slightly favor one over the other depending on which factors are more important to you. I personally favor the NX-Otica for several reasons. If you are looking for something along this same performance level then those NX models are worth considering.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2017, 06:06 pm »

NX-Otica and NX-Treme kits are available.

I have been flipping back and forth between the Super-7 and the NX-Otica. There are trade offs between the two. Some will slightly favor one over the other depending on which factors are more important to you. I personally favor the NX-Otica for several reasons. If you are looking for something along this same performance level then those NX models are worth considering.
Wow.

That is really saying something. I heard the Super 7 at RMAF and thought that they were truly incredible speakers, and you think the NX-Otica is at least on the same level - that is impressive. I would have thought that the Neo 10/Neo 3 combo was better than the M165NQ/16 woofers that (I believe) are in the NX's.

Speed & Detail vs "Warmth"/body?

Still very impressive if they are at that level... :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2017, 06:13 pm »
 :D bold as gold statements.   Is the big speaker to big for a smaller room ? Like 12 by 16 or so ?
        What amps mate well with these very efficient gems ?  Little Pass Labs ?  Flee power ?

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2017, 06:35 pm »
Wow.

That is really saying something. I heard the Super 7 at RMAF and thought that they were truly incredible speakers, and you think the NX-Otica is at least on the same level - that is impressive. I would have thought that the Neo 10/Neo 3 combo was better than the M165NQ/16 woofers that (I believe) are in the NX's.

Speed & Detail vs "Warmth"/body?

Still very impressive if they are at that level... :thumb:

If a pair of the servo subs are used on each side of the NX-Otica or NX-Treme then the bass response is the same.  They are the same drivers. But you can use triples on either side of the NX models or even a stack of six per side and really take things up a notch.

The Super-7's, NX models are all really good but different. The real advantage of the Super-7's is the higher 97 to 98db sensitivity level while the NX models are in the 93 and 94db range. so the dynamics advantage goes to the Super-7's. And lower powered amps can be used.

The speed advantage in the mid-range goes to the Super-7, but not by a lot. While the Neo 10's are technically faster drivers they are also playing up higher in the Super-7 while the M165NQ woofers in the NX models are only playing up to a 1,300Hz crossover point. So the tweeter in the wave guide take over pretty quickly and the real speed advantage is negligible. The Super-7's have a sharper and crisper mid-range than the NX-Otica or NX-Treme. But the NX models have a little more body in the mid-range and more of an analog sound compared to the Super-7's.

And the NX models play lower and cross to the subs lower. Not a big deal on the surface as they both produce a flat response real easily. But drums and other instruments in the 100Hz to 200Hz range have a little more of a nature sound and a little more body with slightly better speed.

Again, the waveguide in the NX models is bigger and it allows the tweeter to play a lot lower. So there is some advantage there. And while the off axis response (horizontally and vertically) are great with both, the NX models are a little smoother horizontally.

But for me a real advantage for the NX models is the smaller baffle size (less surface reflection) and improved imaging and sound stage layering. I am really into that transparent layered sound stage.

Like I said, all are really good, but just different. Personally though I am more in love with listening the NX models. Imaging and vocal ranges do it for me more in those.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2017, 06:45 pm »
:D bold as gold statements.   Is the big speaker to big for a smaller room ? Like 12 by 16 or so ?
        What amps mate well with these very efficient gems ?  Little Pass Labs ?  Flee power ?

Because they are open baffle designs they still do work well in small rooms so long as you can get them out from the front wall. Three feet or more is required, and more is better.

Sensitivity is good so small amps are fine. I still drive them well with a 8 to 10 watt chip amps.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2017, 07:14 pm »
I heard the X-Otica's last Friday at Danny's.  He's not exaggerating when he says they are in a group of top speakers that include the Super 7's.  How you rank the 7's, X Oticas, the Line Sources probably relates to personal preference and types of music you listen to.  They are all top performing speakers and I could easily live with any of them.  One thing about the X-Oticas, they sound BIG.  Makes me think they can probably handle full orchestra much like my LS9s.  It's been a couple of years since I've heard the 7's, but I want to say they may have the edge on detail.  All of them are great speakers.   :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2017, 07:38 pm »
 :D like the nice enviro/political lady says :
     This Changes Everything  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2017, 07:51 pm »
One thing I really like about the Super 7's is that the transition between the mids and highs is absolutely seamless.  I think it's because it uses the same material for both the mids and tweeters, the same overall geometry (flat) and the rear wave perfectly mirrors the front wave (which simply cannot happen with a cone). 

Lets put it this way - the Super 7 is the only speaker I've heard that you can put a mezzo-soprano on and it never breaks up, loses composure, or turns edgy.  Just beautiful, seamless singing with gobs of emotion.  In that respect, the Super 7's are, in my experience, unique.

Now, on the flip side, they do have some trade offs.  Lower mids and upper bass are not as full/robust as other designs and they just don't move as much air as a cone based design can.  So for rock and probably even percussive style jazz, there will be other speakers that are better.  But for me, with the type of music I listen to, the Super 7s are pretty much in a class by themselves.

2bigears

« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2017, 07:56 pm »
 :D thanks Tyson.   an old Rocker I am.   Ha.  :D
     Would love to hear these. Are those little chip amps
    good with rock ??  :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2017, 08:07 pm »
One thing I really like about the Super 7's is that the transition between the mids and highs is absolutely seamless.  I think it's because it uses the same material for both the mids and tweeters, the same overall geometry (flat) and the rear wave perfectly mirrors the front wave (which simply cannot happen with a cone). 

Actually the NX-Oticas and NX-Treme models rear load the tweeter into a 1.5" thick wave guide that moves the tweeters back so that they are perfectly in line with the voice coils of the M165NQ mid-bass drivers. So like the Super-7's they are in phase front to back. Maybe not to the level of the Super-7 as the whole diaphragm is in line, but they are acoustically in phase both ways.

And that is a really big deal unique to very few speakers. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 1 Nov 2017, 12:49 am »

18' x 12' room here  man,   come have a listen to the  NX-Otica's/ duals subs !!
We can throw the   MTm's in,  and then, go up to Don's and hear the  NX-Tremes in a bigger room
They sound  very great in a med room (best I've heard in my room) but, when you give them  even more room to breath, they sound even better  :)

jay
« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2017, 04:56 am by Captainhemo »

morganc

« Reply #16 on: 1 Nov 2017, 04:10 pm »
If a pair of the servo subs are used on each side of the NX-Otica or NX-Treme then the bass response is the same.  They are the same drivers. But you can use triples on either side of the NX models or even a stack of six per side and really take things up a notch.

The Super-7's, NX models are all really good but different. The real advantage of the Super-7's is the higher 97 to 98db sensitivity level while the NX models are in the 93 and 94db range. so the dynamics advantage goes to the Super-7's. And lower powered amps can be used.

The speed advantage in the mid-range goes to the Super-7, but not by a lot. While the Neo 10's are technically faster drivers they are also playing up higher in the Super-7 while the M165NQ woofers in the NX models are only playing up to a 1,300Hz crossover point. So the tweeter in the wave guide take over pretty quickly and the real speed advantage is negligible. The Super-7's have a sharper and crisper mid-range than the NX-Otica or NX-Treme. But the NX models have a little more body in the mid-range and more of an analog sound compared to the Super-7's.

And the NX models play lower and cross to the subs lower. Not a big deal on the surface as they both produce a flat response real easily. But drums and other instruments in the 100Hz to 200Hz range have a little more of a nature sound and a little more body with slightly better speed.

Again, the waveguide in the NX models is bigger and it allows the tweeter to play a lot lower. So there is some advantage there. And while the off axis response (horizontally and vertically) are great with both, the NX models are a little smoother horizontally.

But for me a real advantage for the NX models is the smaller baffle size (less surface reflection) and improved imaging and sound stage layering. I am really into that transparent layered sound stage.

Like I said, all are really good, but just different. Personally though I am more in love with listening the NX models. Imaging and vocal ranges do it for me more in those.

Danny,
  I've never heard the Super 7's but I owned the Super V's and loved them. Could you compare the Super V's to the 7's and the NX Models as well as that is my frame of reference?

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 1 Nov 2017, 04:35 pm »
Danny,
  I've never heard the Super 7's but I owned the Super V's and loved them. Could you compare the Super V's to the 7's and the NX Models as well as that is my frame of reference?

The bottom end is the same with these models. So no differences there.

The Super-V's are a super fun speaker to listen to. With a high 97db sensitivity and huge power handling they can really play loud and proud. They have a balanced output level and a modified tweeter with open back. So they are full open baffle. I really liked the vocal region as well. They are a rock and roll speaker. They are top to bottom good with any type of music with no real short comings anywhere.

The Super-7's reach the same high sensitivity level but with greater accuracy and speed across the board. The spectral decay is super clean top to bottom. And unlike the Super-V the drivers are in phase front to back. So they sound the same on the backside as the front side. The off axis response is more extended as well. They also have greater detail levels across the board and especially in the upper octaves. They are more of an audiophile speaker.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 1 Nov 2017, 05:23 pm »
I'll throw in my 2c re: the Super V's and the Super 7's. 

When I first heard the Super Vs, it was the first time I'd heard servo OB bass.  It was amazing.  Flat out better than any other bass system I'd ever heard.  But the top end of the speaker did not match the level of quality the bottom end. 

With the Super 7's, that changed and the top end matched (and maybe even surpassed!) the world-class bottom end.  You name it, and the Super 7 does it in spades.  The speaker really has no weaknesses.  It's very good to world class in every category that we look for in speakers.