Tom Petty / Full cardiac arrest

stlrman

Tom Petty / Full cardiac arrest
« on: 2 Oct 2017, 07:44 pm »
Very sad , don't have all the details. My wife said he was taken off life support.

https://www.google.com/amp/people.com/music/tom-petty-cardiac-arrest-hospitalized/amp/

SlushPuppy

Re: Tom Petty / Full cardiac arrest
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2017, 08:01 pm »
I just read that he passed after being taken off of life support. What a shitty day this has been  :cry:

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2017, 08:23 pm »
Crazy, seen him twice in the last 2 yrs. RIP

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2017, 08:40 pm »
A shame, been a lousy year on many fronts. RIP Mr. Petty.

Mike B.

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2017, 08:48 pm »
Damn. More bad news. I saw him for the first time live on the Hypnotic Eye album tour. He had a very zen or mellow stage presence and the Heartbreakers were tight.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2017, 09:25 pm »
I did not know his career, only when he played with Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne.
RIP

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2017, 10:26 pm »
He is still in hospital last I heard. Death news premature.

sonicxtc

« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2017, 11:03 pm »
Now he's free
Free Fallin' and he can't get up

Wow, what a stretch it's been these last two years or so. Bowie, Prince, Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, Don Henley and Walter Becker. It's not just them; it's us. We are aging and our rock icons are aging and leaving us. We rocked with them when we were teenagers or twenty-somethings and now one by one or three by three they are moving on. I guess we are lucky so many actually lasted so long.

I was blessed to see Tom Petty a few years ago with ZZ Top. And, this year I saw Steely Dan for the first time. I've grown to have a Dinosaur bucket list;artists and groups I'd like to see, at least just once before they die. Die they will, shining a light on our mortality. As much as I hate many aspects of modern civilization, I'll always feel grateful for the advent of superb recorded sound and playback. Long after they leave, I will still bop around to Peter Gabriel, The Who, Elton, XTC, Squeeze, Elvis Costello, Pink Floyd and even the not so old Porcupine Tree and many many others. Tom Petty just seemed like such an "every man" kind of rocker; it was just so easy to relate to him and his often uncomplicated rhythms and lyrics. At other times, he reached deep. The last song he wrote that I played over and over was "Saving Grace."

They all leave too soon.
And, so it goes.

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2017, 11:32 pm »
John Fogerty posted this on his Facebook page two hours ago.

Today is almost too much to bear. With the tragedy in Las Vegas and this to happen on top of it. We are just devastated... Tom's music means the world to me and my wife, Julie, in fact, he is her all time favorite artist, we open our show in Vegas with "I Won't Back Down" ... beyond sad to hear of my friend's passing.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2017, 11:58 pm »
This year has been awful for quality music and prog rock.

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2017, 12:27 am »
Tom's music was and is the soundtrack to my life. R.I.P.
Last year Tom got together with his first band Mudcrutch and released a rocking good album, check it out.
Mudcrutch was Tom's first band before the Heartbreakers, yes there is a Mudcrutch(1) released in 2008 along with a live EP, all three are worth getting.

Mudcrutch2 - 2016

Mudcrutch - 2008

Mudcrutch EP - 2008

Wayne

stlrman

« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2017, 12:55 am »
Still no confirmation that I can see.

American Girl from concert last week:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/watch-tom-petty-play-american-girl-at-his-final-concert-w506751

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2017, 06:52 am »
The news is now saying he has passed.  I was surprised since he seemed active and I hadn't heard anything about him being ill.  But of course that's how it is with cardiac issues sometimes.  While Petty was never my favorite I always enjoyed his music; it seemed to always be in the background and as others have said, it formed part of the soundtrack to my life (especially when I was younger).  It seems weird that he could be gone.

RIP, Tom Petty!  Your legacy will certainly be a lasting one.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #13 on: 4 Oct 2017, 12:06 am »
Listening to his Greatest Hits as a tribute.

stlrman

« Reply #14 on: 4 Oct 2017, 12:44 am »
I read he was a herion addict in the 90's. That can really take a toll.

drphoto

« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2017, 06:03 pm »
Any Petty fans should watch the doc. "Runnin Down a Dream" on Netflix. He was the ultimate professional musician and amazing songwriter.While he had a lot of great songs w/ the Heartbreakers, I just loved the "Wildflowers" record (which was really a Heartbreakers album, as shown in video) He wasn't a 'rock star'......he was a musician.

CSI

« Reply #16 on: 8 Oct 2017, 06:10 pm »
....."I've grown to have a Dinosaur bucket list;artists and groups I'd like to see, at least just once before they die. Die they will, shining a light on our mortality.".....

Amen to that, sonicxtc. That's why we have tickets to see Bob Dylan this Friday.

Mike B.

« Reply #17 on: 8 Oct 2017, 07:24 pm »
Nice tribute to Tom at the gators football game yesterday. Lots of fans singing along

https://youtu.be/fnusomS10cc

ebag4

« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2017, 07:40 pm »
Any Petty fans should watch the doc. "Runnin Down a Dream" on Netflix. He was the ultimate professional musician and amazing songwriter.While he had a lot of great songs w/ the Heartbreakers, I just loved the "Wildflowers" record (which was really a Heartbreakers album, as shown in video) He wasn't a 'rock star'......he was a musician.
Watched this last night, 4 hours long but worth the investment.  I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Best,
Ed

OzarkTom

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2018, 07:05 am »
A fractured hip while touring led to Petty's death. :cry:
http://www.noise11.com/news/tom-petty-toured-with-a-hairline-hip-fracture-20171020

The autopsy report on what pain killer led to Tom's cardiac arrest.
http://realfarmacy.com/tom-petty/