Audirvana 3.1 and the BDP-1

Krutsch

Audirvana 3.1 and the BDP-1
« on: 24 Aug 2017, 10:09 pm »
Just a quick FYI: I've been testing the newly released Audirvana+ 3.1 with my Bryston BDP-1 which, as we know, uses gmrender-resurrect as it's DLNA/UPnP renderer.

So far, it mostly works: gapless playback is working great with the native sample rate, but playlists that contain files with different sample rates freeze when changing to a new sample rate within the same playlist. This can be worked around by forcing everything to upsample to the DAC's max sample rate. Of course when I do that, then gapless playback then introduces a small 'tick' between tracks.

AAC, MP3 and FLAC files all playback just fine. There is no display update on the BDP-1, but this is something not implemented with the BDP.

Again, as an FYI I experienced all of these symptoms with MinimServer on the same device and went through some log file debugging with the author to confirm the issues are all from gmrender-resurrect.

Anyway, something to consider, as Audirvana has some really neat features like: full support for AU plug-ins on the Mac (I personally use Sonarworks for headphone EQ) and... wait for it... MQA unfolding for TIDAL streaming audio. Sounds awesome!

Would be super great if we could ditch gmrender-resurrect for upmpdcli and wire it to the front panel display, but I can only dream :o

zoom25

Re: Audirvana 3.1 and the BDP-1
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2017, 06:00 am »
Nice. Hadn't thought about the use of Sonarworks that way with the BDP-1. So how's the sound quality with this BDP/Audirvana method?

Krutsch

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2017, 03:31 pm »
Nice. Hadn't thought about the use of Sonarworks that way with the BDP-1. So how's the sound quality with this BDP/Audirvana method?

Yeah... ultimately, this is what pulled me away from Roon - I love being able to use VST/AU plug-ins, which Roon will never support. I use two of them:

- Sonarworks for head-fi EQ

- ACON Digital's Surround Reverberate - I connect my MacBook via HDMI to my home theater AVR and this plug-in applies subtle surround processing to 2-channel sources. I am still learning how to use this. So far, it sounds incredible and does a better job than the surround processing on my AVR (the walls sort of fall way and it sounds like you are hearing music in an open venue - pure magic with classical music).

The Audirvana + BDP-1 sound quality is as good as I've heard with MPD playback. This is my default playback chain now (when I am not listening to analog sources, of course  :lol: ).

EDIT: I just realized as I typed this in... I no longer need the cable, I can use the AVR as a DLNA renderer and use ACON processing before sending the audio over the network to the AVR. Holy cow that's cool  :duh:

zoom25

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2017, 03:55 pm »
Wow, good stuff Krutsch. I'll check it out this weekend.

So how am I setting this up in Audirvana and BDP-1?

Krutsch

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2017, 06:22 pm »
Wow, good stuff Krutsch. I'll check it out this weekend.

So how am I setting this up in Audirvana and BDP-1?

For the BDP-1, you need to enabled the DLNA Renderer in the Services tab.

Then, in Audirvana, the BDP-1 is listed just like a DAC in the preferred audio device.

That's it.

zoom25

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2017, 09:17 pm »
Thanks.

zoom25

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2017, 10:37 pm »
I finally got around to trying the DLNA Rendered on BDP-1. Running Sonarworks in Audirvana w/ HD 800. In comparison to Roon, it's good to be able to both use a more accurate EQ curve as well as linear phase in Sonarworks. If only Roon could run Sonarworks and other plugins.