I.S.C.T. – ‘Eight Miles High” Triple Chamber - Compact Single Unit ….

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
OK, this will be a cabinet build as a ‘Triple Chamber’ compact single unit!

A Triple chamber simple because as it will be housing three (3) 8” speaker chassis each in its own dedicated compartments with volumes between 16 to 25 liter. The chassis are a Peerless woofer 8” with a 10" Passive Radiator, a Source Point 8” in a sealed compartment and a GTS Full range as well in a sealed compartment and a 2.1 plate amp plus a few other items to make it all work.

rgs UpperCut

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio

Starting to glue from the center! as now to be seen there is a center slice to part the large volume into two for the woofer & the Point Source. Very well to see the top small compartement for the carry handle as well as at the bottom.

rgs UpperCut

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
And once again a few steps further! This unit is quiet a lot of work thats for sure.

rgs UpperCut

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
Your design is intriguing... can't wait to see the finished speaker! 

I assume the MDF details were cut with a CNC router?

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Your design is intriguing... can't wait to see the finished speaker! 

I assume the MDF details were cut with a CNC router?

Thanks for the reply!

NO, everything (all my projects) are just done with normal hand/powertools - NEVER have used a CNC in my life!!!

rgs UpperCut

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Thanks for the reply!

NO, everything (all my projects) are just done with normal hand/powertools - NEVER have used a CNC in my life!!!

rgs UpperCut
Handy man, as in the old times, congratulations.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
I've done enough woodworking to appreciate the labor involved in cutting all those pieces yourself.  Excellent work!

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Handy man, as in the old times, congratulations.

I've done enough woodworking to appreciate the labor involved in cutting all those pieces yourself.  Excellent work!

Thanks!

rgs UpperCut

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Hi there again,

After an extremely wet & cold few days (at least cold by NZ standards) I’m back in the workshop finishing off gluing both sides of the unit & letting that glue cure for several days. Afterwards I did finish shaping the whole enclosure and dit some more detailed work like placing the holes for the baffle etc.

One Image is showing the first fitting of the two front chassis & the second shows the enclosure after the very first sealant is painted onto the outside (as the inside sealant 3 coats is already completed).

rgs UpperCut

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
First (charcoal & melon yellow) base coats on enclosure, and the first layer of dampening on center dividing panel.

rgs UpperCut

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio

The whole enclosure is getting covered with a ‘ONE PIECE’ of dark grey Felt (lower front legs, front plate, top, upper rear & lower rear legs etc.

rgs UpperCut

Bendingwave

• Restricted
That is a very unique design, I wish I had even a quarter of your woodworking skills.

I am intrigued about its application and design and also what inspired you to build such a speaker.

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
That is a very unique design, I wish I had even a quarter of your woodworking skills.

I am intrigued about its application and design and also what inspired you to build such a speaker.

Thanks for your reply!

This design is not to be looked at like a home type Hi-Fi design (one unit only) this unit was created simple only for a musician(s) like say a Guitarists etc. to perform within a much-much higher and greater quality / fidelity type reproduction of their own musical & voice presentation.

I have also built previously a set of enclosures for musician (please view: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150017.0 ) which was extremely well received by musician here in my area in NZ, tested by many artists (male & female performer) as well as they were tested with many-many different Instruments like Flute, Harp, Accordion, Steel string & Classical guitars and many more, and so I decided to try something even more to the point including into one bass chassis, a point source, and for the musician himself a full range type Fold Back chassis all of high quality Hi-Fi units.

Presently I have as mentioned above the main set finished, but also work on a separate dual bass unit, and a separate set of Fold Back speaker enclosures to make them available to musician here.

Dual Bass Unit:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151474.0

Fold Back Units:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152086.0

These are just the enclosures for the reproduction, but I have also put a lot into the electronically side of this set up were as I imported Nano type valve amps for the main speakers and some other valve amps for the bass & Fold Back units etc. All of this will be wired once finished quiet a little different from what you would expect in general and going by my earlier testing the outcome should be of a very high fidelity reproduction ….

rgs UpperCut

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Truly this Felt covering is a great and very Interesting job to keep you on your toes not to make any mistakes!

rgs UpperCut

« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2017, 09:28 am by UpperCut »

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Well, to cut yourself with a scalpel is not really my idea of fun, but I guess if you try to hard to do things perfect that can easily happen and so it did! Very Painful!

The first fitting of the electronics side after covering this section with Felt showing the speaker points and an L-Pad at the left side connected further to the Fold Back chassis as well as the Amplifier & the Passive Radiator side.

rgs UpperCut

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
It definitely looks interesting!
How heavy is it? It doesn't really look like it is something you'd go on tour with...
Can you post some measuring plots?

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Thanks for the reply!

Well, how heavy …. I don’t even want to think about that as it is quiet heavy for sure, but it is of no importance as for me I’m after the reproduction qualities, but yes I will weigh it once completed but that is still a few weeks off as the most complicated part of this project the front panel is still outstanding.

Never the less this is just a test enclosure for me incorporating many ideas from myself & others (musicians) were I wanted to try different things and it will be just for one or two musician to practice on or else, but I think mainly all to happen here in my workshop.

In general I do only include data on any electronics etc. once a project is completed and has run in after a three month period (but yes my three month can be much-much longer as I keep a logbook for everyone of these projects), and so I have only final concrete data available as otherwise I do not believe in assuming, guessing, speculating or even talking about it as all my projects are not build to the norm in shape nor development, and so in the end I’m finding that any data is correct with any measurements!

The two front chassis used are quiet good, well known & well proven units and all my theoretical work which was done before hand is promising and was also part of other previous projects which worked out well.

rgs UpperCut