Preamplifier with AES-3 output - does one exist?

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
Preamplifier with AES-3 output - does one exist?
« on: 28 May 2017, 03:17 pm »
I am just getting back into two channel after years of building a high performance HT system. My HT system is quite complex (11 speakers, 9 amplifiers, 1 AVP, and 1 source), but for a stereo only system I am wanting to keep it simple.

The current wide range of high quality active speakers for the professional market (JBL Pro 708P, Barefoot MM27, Dutch and Dutch 8C, etc) that accept both analog and digital inputs has me very interested. In a diskless system it seems logical to keep the signal digital from playback device into the active speaker, matching the DAC rate of the speaker. The hard part is digital signal attenuation that does not significantly degrade the audio signal.  As the speakers provide the DAC there is no need to pay for an unnecessary component.

Weiss Engineering has a couple of products that do digital attenuation (INT202/203 and INT204), but the 202/203 inputs are the now obsolete FireWire. The Weiss Engineering MAN301 Base Station is available without a DAC and would be perfect except for its lofty cost. Weiss has a white paper on using dithering to reduce the harm caused by digital attenuation.

I am looking for a standalone product that: (1) provides digital-to-digital conversion to convert PC output to AES-3; (2) provides attenuation in the digital realm via app and physical knob; (3) has a high quality A/D converter so I can run a turntable or other non-digital inputs.

richidoo

Re: Preamplifier with AES-3 output - does one exist?
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2017, 09:57 pm »
Tough one. Digital attenuation with hardware volume control and pro level digital out.   :scratch:   If it were me, I would take the easy way and call my man at Sweetwater, Ryan Clapper. And I would doubt there is something that perfetcly fits your needs, you will probably end up with more features than you need, like a mixing desk or lots of i/o.  But htere are a few master volume knobs intended to work with DAWs, that might be usable.

Perhaps there is a digital monitor controller with AES outputs (maybe on Mars?  :P ) DSP monitors are newish, so the demand to feed them digital signal is not real strong yet, but it's coming.

Look at the pro monitor mfgs who make digital monitors like JBL and Genelec for hardware controllers for their monitor systems. Like JBL Intonado, or whatever it's called.

Pro Tools, etc probably have something like that but you don't need all the i/o that come with it. There are many analog monitor controllers available.

All modern DAW software use 64 bit DSP, so you could use an AES output card like Lynx, with a 64 bit player/dsp host, but you need to find one that can be controlled by a hardware volume knob. The professional DAWs have MIDI input, I'm sure they can control master out. But the DAWs aren't ideal for consumer music playback, picking songs and making playlists, streaming internet radio, etc.

JRiver is a nice consumer focused music player with excellent 64 bit software volume control and 64 bit VST host, but I don't think it has any provision for a hardware volume control, I don't know. If your application can tolerate using an iPad to remote control JRiver volume then it might be the wtg in the consumer realm. Then just find an AES output card for the PC. 
/end stream of consciousness...  :D

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2017, 10:23 pm »
To echo richidoo, there are a number of options in the pro audio world that have AES output... but I do not know if those are merely pass-throughs or if they have volume control.

I thought the Dangerous Music Source would be the affordable unit that does what you want, but the volume control on the AES output is unknown and the manual doesn't state one way or the other. Calling up the good folks at Sweetwater is probably the best bet.

I currently have some Prism and RME interfaces that do have volume controlled digital output, but those are on optical not AES.

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2017, 01:10 am »
The physical volume knob seems a bridge to far. The Kii Three active speaker has an optional digital controller (hardwired) than can switch between sources and control the volume.  I use JRiver - just switched from iTunes - and I know it has a low loss volume control option which is not the default. Luckily I bookmarked the wiki page I found the info on.

I have communicated with Sweetwater and they suggested Dangerous Music, but I received an email from Dangerous Music they do not make a device like what I am looking for (pretty much all pro and consumer products are built around sending an analog signal following digital conversion.

The Weiss Engineering units seem the best hardware solution at this time for active speakers that the company does not sell an optional digital controller.  I am sure in a few years there will be a plethora of products to choose from but not now.

Thinking: i7 NUC* running JRiver --> Apple Thunderbolt/FireWire adaptor --> Weiss Engineering INT203 (FireWire to AES conversion, remote volume control) --> AES digital input on active speaker.

*or a similar small footprint PC. I am not a Mac user.

Not as sleek as I would like, but no unnecessary DA/AD conversions.  Hiwever, this approach eliminates the need for a DAC, preamp, amp and several cables. In addition, the DSP in the speakers or JRiver will allow for room EQ below the Schroeder frequency.

Armaegis

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2017, 02:46 am »
Actually... the Prism Lyra 2 fits what you need. Two analog inputs, four analog outputs, AES output on coax (but comes with an XLR adapter and configured in the software), volume control on the digital output is enabled in the software control panel, all attenuation is handled in the digital realm and can be done on the physical knob or in software.

Bonus: If you disconnect from the computer, it remembers all your settings and can operate free-standing and you can still control volume with the knob.

Bonus 2: You can also route which inputs go to which outputs (between the 4 sets of analog outputs, the digital output, or headphones)

Mike-48

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2017, 06:21 am »
Take a look at the Lynx Hilo. It has an excellent ADC and will do D-D conversions. It also has quite a nice DAC.  It does have digital attenuation built in.

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2017, 04:03 pm »
I have read up on both the Prism Sound and Lynx products. Both seem nearly perfect for my needs. The Lynx is a better price due to manufacturing in the U.S. (seems like a lot of the pro audio equipment from Europe has a huge price increase in the U.S. market).

The ability of these units to allow me to route digitize the analog SACD output from my OPPO is really cool. I don't have that many SACD 's and the inability to rip them to a hard drive limits my listening to them.

Thanks guys!  :icon_lol:

Mike-48

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2017, 12:01 am »
If you are thinking of getting a Hilo, you might call ADK Pro Audio in Kentucky. They were offering a very nice discount to HeadFi users.

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2017, 12:47 pm »
Thanks Mike for that heads up.

I received confirmation from Grace Design that the m905 will do what I am looking for in a product. Looks like there are several solid contenders.

Armaegis

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2017, 05:59 pm »
Grace Design is also the importer for Kii and Grimm Audio, both very high end active monitors (each has their own controller modules too). It might be worth asking Grace if they have a full setup which will perfectly meet your needs.