Treating my small room with Soffit bass traps and diffusors.

danvprod

Spent the evening measuring, moving, measuring, adjusting the phase and XO frequencies on the plate amps and was able to get the following response (this is including the spatial black hole). Measurement at listening position. I ended up with both of the crossover frequencies asymmetrical on the subwoofer amps along with slight difference in phase controls on the plate amps, to achieve the flattest response at the listening position from 20 - 200 Hz (defining "flat" as a house curve with a slight bass lift from 100 Hz - 30 Hz or so). I'm about +- 5 dB from 26 Hz - 200 Hz at the listening position.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Spent the evening measuring, moving, measuring, adjusting the phase and XO frequencies on the plate amps and was able to get the following response (this is including the spatial black hole). Measurement at listening position. I ended up with both of the crossover frequencies asymmetrical on the subwoofer amps along with slight difference in phase controls on the plate amps, to achieve the flattest response at the listening position from 20 - 200 Hz (defining "flat" as a house curve with a slight bass lift from 100 Hz - 30 Hz or so). I'm about +- 5 dB from 26 Hz - 200 Hz at the listening position.

That's right homey! You show that room who's boss. Asymmetrical crossover points, phase, gain, placement of subs and above all patience will make it all work out! You did it.

eF'n bravo!  :thumb:

You know you cares besides yourself? I care. Now spread the love.

Best,
Anand.

guf

So does it sound perfect? Better than ever?

danvprod

Thanks @poseidonsvoice. Those bass integration articles were really informative. I'm a touch limited as my subs are attached to the mains, so every positioning change I make in either influences the other. Still have the controls of cutoff frequency, phase and gain on the each of the sub amps independent of the mains was the ticket. And then also being able to treat the axial mode actively with the black hole generator was helpful.

Sound-wise, it is definitely an improvement. Bass is tighter and not as peaky. Imaging/spatial separation is better. I'm getting a more stable center image as well.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2017, 01:13 pm by danvprod »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Thanks @poseidonsvoice. Those bass integration articles were really informative. I'm a touch limited as my subs are attached to the mains, so every positioning change I make in either influences the other. Still have the controls of cutoff frequency, phase and gain on the each of the sub amps independent of the mains was the ticket. And then also being able to treat the axial mode actively with the black hole generator was helpful.

Sound-wise, it is definitely an improvement. Bass is tighter and not as peaky. Imaging/spatial separation is better. I'm getting a more stable center image as well.

Indeed. It would have eased your troubles if the Rythmik bass modules were designed to be separate from the coaxial midrange driver. The NX-Otica has that option and so those users should seriously consider moving their OB subwoofer modules around the room for best response. That being said many individuals are fixated on this "idea" that the bass modules need to be right next to the mains. That is only true if the crossover point is high, let's say 200Hz or more. But if you can get by with 80 or even 120Hz (4th order), you should not be able to tell the difference on where the bass is coming from.

Your log here is a testament and I thank you for that.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2017, 02:39 pm by poseidonsvoice »

danvprod

I just ordered the 35" soffit bass trap to put in the right side of my front wall. I also picked up 6 RPG BAD Arc panels that someone on AC was selling for my first reflections (as well as 2 RPG BAD panels). I plan on installing 2x on each sidewall for my first reflections and 2x of the BAD panels on the ceilings for the ceiling first reflections. I'll have two more BAD ARCs that I may put in the back of the room or in front depending on how they sound.

Getting closer!

danvprod

Here is the way that 20-200 Hz looks these days. I added 5 x GIK 244s (2 between speakers in front, 2 @ 1st reflection points and 1 directly behind my listening chair). Lots of careful work tweaking the XOs of the Super V amps to get here.

This is the responses has no smoothing. I do want to still add some additional servo subs to the room to help even more and augment some of the midbass response (which is still problematic from 150 Hz - 300 Hz where the transition happens to the Super V's coaxial drivers.