Consequence of 'small' port size in large mid-bass reflex enclosure.

lokie

But your bracing could be greatly improved by using window framing type design.  (Run bracing in a box shape lining the inside of the cabinet walls at intervals equal to the the cabinet width/depth and perhaps adding cross bracing or a sheet of plywood with a large hole cut out of it at midpoints of the box shapes.)

Pictures, Pictures Please! :icon_lol:

BTW, I crossover at 2khz. My speakers aren't perfect but I hear nothing but goodness around this range.

SteveRB

Uh? Tell that to Tannoy, Shindo, Altec, Western Electric and.....

In my DIY 2 way, I am putting on various size back panels to experiment w port sizes. The differences aren't much. Even compared to a sealed cabinet. In fact, I have been experimenting w one speaker sealed and the other (see picture) w a port. I can barley hear the difference and the imaging is rock solid.

In contrast, taking out the internal dampening (3/4" wool covering all the walls) and replacing w bracing was a huge improvement. Now, I only have dampening on the back panel. Still tinkering here.

Very nice. What are the components you are using?

SteveRB

See below for impedance plots of enclosure with two 4" diameter x 3.75" long ports. System tuned to 34Hz. This is as close as I can get to matching impedance peaks. The in-room SPL curve closely match the curve when using one 4" opening.

The math holds: doubled the port area and quadrupled the port length.

The sound feels a little over dampened right now. I'll likely pull out some of the fibreglass next week.

lokie

Very nice. What are the components you are using?

Altec 802B in a 32B Horn and a 15" Jensen P15ll woofer.

SteveRb- I wish I had your measuring skills. Cool plots!

SteveRB

Altec 802B in a 32B Horn and a 15" Jensen P15ll woofer.

SteveRb- I wish I had your measuring skills. Cool plots!

http://audiojudgement.com/loudspeaker-impedance-measurement/

step by step measurement instructions WITH spreadsheet that crates the plot.

lokie

http://audiojudgement.com/loudspeaker-impedance-measurement/

step by step measurement instructions WITH spreadsheet that crates the plot.

Thanks-  but if I took the measurements, I still wouldn't understand it. The first sentence in the article stopped me in my tracks.

"Making a loudspeaker impedance measurement is not a as easy as you might think."

I'm better w sawdust and listening than charts and graphs. I know you really need both but I only have so much time, so I do what I enjoy.