Bryston 4B³ stereo or 7B³ monos for me?

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
Bryston 4B³ stereo or 7B³ monos for me?
« on: 20 Apr 2017, 03:24 pm »
I don't need more power than the 4B³ stereo provides. A friend is pushing me to get the 7B³ monos, but I think I want to keep it small/simple. Are you 4B³ owners happy/satisfied with the amp? Do you have 7B³ envy? Can I assume the sound quality will be similar if not the same? Has anyone here moved from the stereo to the monos?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Bryston 4B³ stereo or 7B³ monos for me?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2017, 08:18 pm »
The Bryston 4B-SST² I own with my Magnepan 3.6 is totally all I need.
I have plans to buy Magnepan 20.7 and still use the Bryston 4B-SST² I currently own.
PRevious to the 4B-SST² I had a 50 watt per channel, and really wanted more power so the power hungry Magnepan 3.6 would be totally happy.

As for you.. I would say what you need depends on how you play music.
If you constantly (or even ever) play hard Rock at 110dB plus.. in a really big room.. and it's a party full of people.. you might need the 7's. (or a 14B-SST³)
If you play just for yourself in an average/big room, and usually never at ear splitting levels. The 4B-SST³ (I usually play music at 60dB to 80dB "C" weighted at the listening chair.. apps for dB meter are available for your smartphone and work great. see what you like for dB levels?)

The 'idea' of a pair of mono amps is your friends idea.. I would really skip it and buy the 4B-SST³

One point in favor of a pair of amps is being able to have each amp right at the back of each speaker. Which in some situations makes a lot of sense.

If I had money and wanted a 'pair' of amps, I would buy the 28B-SST³ and just be done with it!
And get the 19" and handles! moving them would be way easier with handles...)

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2017, 08:36 pm »
Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for your insightful reply. I was hoping you'd respond because I was looking over some older posts of yours. I love your enthusiasm and contributions.

I am not a head banger. I work second shift and get most of my quality listening in from when I get home until the sun starts coming up if I can not pull myself away. I can play pretty loud, if I want, but rarely do. I am absolutely positive the 4B3 is enough. My main speakers are 92dB at 4 ohms and 94dB at 6 ohms so I am running pretty efficient speakers.

Thanks again!

Joe

bud1451

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2017, 02:19 am »
I have the 4b3 with the Model T and I listen quite loudly at times. Never have I felt I required more power,  previously I had the 14bst. I am very surprised how well the 4b performs in all areas, it even out performed the 14b in the bass.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2017, 02:47 am »
Thank you Bud.

stereoal

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2017, 04:26 pm »
When I bought my Bryston system, I had already purchased speakers and a 4b2 would have been a good match for them. But my wife reminded me of my expensive money-losing habit of upgrading every few years so she suggested I buy the 7b2s instead. I took her advice and have never even considered upgrading my amps. As a general rule, I buy one model up from what I need, which eliminates the upgrade bug. Every Bryston amp is going to sound better than the model below it.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2017, 04:38 pm »
That's what's going through my head. We (I) never stop looking up.

When I bought my Bryston system, I had already purchased speakers and a 4b2 would have been a good match for them. But my wife reminded me of my expensive money-losing habit of upgrading every few years so she suggested I buy the 7b2s instead. I took her advice and have never even considered upgrading my amps. As a general rule, I buy one model up from what I need, which eliminates the upgrade bug. Every Bryston amp is going to sound better than the model below it.

bud1451

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2017, 04:52 pm »

If I had the funds at the time....I would have probably went with the 14b3 or 7b3

Ola_S

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2017, 07:28 pm »
I know that! I have had the Bryston 7B-ST and 6B-SST, then in 2009 I got the opportunity to buy a used pair of 28B-SST  to a decent price and since then I have not been infected by the upgrade bug  :P

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2017, 08:48 pm »

:thumb:

There's something special about the 28's, no doubt.

I know that! I have had the Bryston 7B-ST and 6B-SST, then in 2009 I got the opportunity to buy a used pair of 28B-SST  to a decent price and since then I have not been infected by the upgrade bug  :P

Ron D

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2017, 11:11 pm »
So here has been my experience having owned a variety of Bryston amps since the 80s and as always YMMV.

Moving from pre-NRB to ST to SST  to SST squared has always provided sonic benefits to my ears within the system I had at the time but the biggest "Ah Ha" moment I had was moving from a 4B to 14B amp.  The amount of  detail retrieval or conveyance at low volume levels was an eye or ear opening experience.

Sorry if I've muddied the waters and you'll note I've had no experience with the latest cubed series but that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2017, 11:42 pm »
No muddied waters, I know what to expect. I still, at this moment, am shooting for the 4B3 and am pretty sure that is the right move for me now.
Another friend is getting the 28B3  :banana piano: so I'll have experience with his and if I can't stay put, 28B3 here I come. :)

I absolutely love hearing everyone's opinion and experience so please keep it coming. I sincerely appreciate it.

Rod_S

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2017, 12:43 am »
I own 4B-SST, 6B-SST, 7B-SST2 and 28B-SST2 amps. In my experience what it's going to come down to is the volume at which you listen and of course how volume works in your room. In the normal operating range of each amp beyond the Class A only wattage they are all very similar, hell in a blind test I know I could not tell a difference and I'm sure that would be the case for most including throwing in the new cubed series but people don't want to hear that and will swear they can hear a difference in a blind test...whatever ... :D

If your listening is at the extreme db level or perhaps even more important in the Class A region of one of the amps then that amp for me will sound better given the same volume compared to one that might have already switched into Class AB for the same wattage i.e. say comparing a 4 to a 28 at low to medium low volumes. The 7's provide a nice way to squeeze a little more Class A out vs a 4 without the high price tag of going for the 28's. I think this is why I prefer the 28's in my system/room to the others because I listen most of the time in what I suspect is the Class A range of those amps.

For handling transients the 7's and 28's are going to be better due to having more headroom.

Perhaps for me I prefer Class A over Class AB but running higher powered Class A amps simply consumes to much power and produces to much heat for my room so it's an option I could never move to.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2017, 12:47 am »
No muddied waters, I know what to expect. I still, at this moment, am shooting for the 4B3 and am pretty sure that is the right move for me now.
Another friend is getting the 28B3  :banana piano: so I'll have experience with his and if I can't stay put, 28B3 here I come. :)

I absolutely love hearing everyone's opinion and experience so please keep it coming. I sincerely appreciate it.

How about holding off, and listening to your friend's 28B3 first?
Then make a buying decision -- 4B3 vs. 28B3.

cheers

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2017, 04:38 am »

Now THAT would be smart, but I don't usually do the smart thing. Seriously, thank you for the suggestion. I mainly want the 4B3 for a second bedroom system and am pretty sure the 28B3 will go in a finished basement/playroom area much bigger than the bedroom. It's mainly an excuse to get "both" or should I say all 3  :lol: .

In full disclosure, I had 28BSST2's and loved them. Yes, I was an idiot to sell but when the upgrade bug bites, I fall pretty hard. I've had a few detours along the way but am back on track now, heading back to Bryston. I plan on using a tube preamp to start with on the 4B3 and then figure out what to use with the 28B3 should I end up them.

Another friend is absolutely loving a 4B3 that he's testing out. Now he's thinking about either 7B3's or most likely 28B3's.

Looks like the new Cubed amps are amazing.

How about holding off, and listening to your friend's 28B3 first?
Then make a buying decision -- 4B3 vs. 28B3.

cheers

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2017, 09:35 pm »
Update!

Wow!

My 4B3 is amazing. Absolutely love it.

MORE than enough power, ballsy, lots of 3D, smooth and sweet.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2017, 11:07 pm »
Update!

Wow!

My 4B3 is amazing. Absolutely love it.

MORE than enough power, ballsy, lots of 3D, smooth and sweet.

Enjoy!

When does the 28B3 land there?   :green:

:dunno:

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2017, 11:29 pm »

:shh:

:hyper:

Enjoy!

When does the 28B3 land there?   :green:

:dunno:

bjski

« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2017, 08:30 pm »
Now THAT would be smart, but I don't usually do the smart thing. Seriously, thank you for the suggestion. I mainly want the 4B3 for a second bedroom system and am pretty sure the 28B3 will go in a finished basement/playroom area much bigger than the bedroom. It's mainly an excuse to get "both" or should I say all 3  :lol: .

In full disclosure, I had 28BSST2's and loved them. Yes, I was an idiot to sell but when the upgrade bug bites, I fall pretty hard. I've had a few detours along the way but am back on track now, heading back to Bryston. I plan on using a tube preamp to start with on the 4B3 and then figure out what to use with the 28B3 should I end up them.

Another friend is absolutely loving a 4B3 that he's testing out. Now he's thinking about either 7B3's or most likely 28B3's.

Looks like the new Cubed amps are amazing.

The upgrade bug has me intrigued with the new cube series amps.I have the same problem using the 7B/2. My speakers are 95 db at 4 ohms. Do I get the new 4cube,7cube or wait a few years and get the 28cube.

I'm very happy using 9BSST/2 in my home theater with Bryston model A speakers. Not considering an update with my Bryston home theater equipment except replacing my BDP-1. My music library slightly larger than 20,000 songs. The BDP-1 sounds fantastic just slow.

The most sense is replacing the BDP-1 and waiting on the 28cube. Can't wait to hear the comparison tdinut!!!

srb

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2017, 09:10 pm »
The upgrade bug has me intrigued with the new cube series amps.I have the same problem using the 7B/2. My speakers are 95 db at 4 ohms. Do I get the new 4cube,7cube or wait a few years and get the 28cube.

You probably don't need anything more than a 4B3 with 95dB speakers.  If you prefer a pair of 7B3 or 28B3 to the 4B3 with your speakers, it's likely because they have more wattage in Class A, rather than more total wattage.

If that's the case, it might make more economic sense to just get a Class A amplifier or a Class AB that's biased higher into Class A.