Veneer Question

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Veneer Question
« on: 19 Apr 2017, 11:52 pm »
Hello all,

I was hoping I could get some help from the great woodworkers here? I'm not building speakers but thought this would be a good place to get some input on how best to accomplish an audio rack I'm putting together.

I was looking at Lowe's and saw some 1/2" maple ply that I thought would work well for the top and bottom of 3 shelves I will be building along with a 3/4" sheet of MDF for the center of each shelf to make them thicker. I would then use edge banding over the plywood and MDF to finish it. I'm thinking this would not only make the shelves very solid but also might help with resonance since I would be using two different types of material?

I know people usually install the edge banding first, router that flush and then veneer the shelve.

My question is how do you think using plywood and putting the edge band on after will work? And, do you see any problem with gluing or sticking the edge band to 2 different materials?

I also have questions about finishing but thought I would ask those at a later date.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Veneer Question
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2017, 12:55 am »
I made a set of X-Statiks out of two layers of 1/2" maple ply.  I put a on a light cherry stain, and used a mahogany edge.  It matched quite well.  Normally the edge goes on last so that the overlap is less visible... but it's not noticeable unless you are doing a close inspection.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2017, 05:21 am »
Since you're going to be laminating these up I would cut all the pieces 4" oversize in both length and width to begin with. When you glue them up they will creep as the glue dries. To keep the creep to a minimum I brad nail them together along the edges before clamping.

Once the glue dries cut them to size on the table saw. To make sure I have straight edges to index off the rip fence, I purposefully offset one piece enough to make sure it will stick out past the other(s). I offset both length and width by about 1/2". I use 4" oversize to allow for creep, have the offset and plenty of room so that when I trim to final size none of the brad nails get close to the saw blade.

Once the shelves are cut to size you can apply the edge banding. Another option to veneer for edge banding is solid wood. You can make these pieces as thick as you want, at least 3/8". If you want to put a profile on any of the edges make the wood banding thick enough so the profile is completely in the solid wood. As an added bonus, solid wood edge banding will make the shelves even stiffer.

Mike

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2017, 05:23 pm »
No problem laminating the sandwich and then edgebanding the whole shebang. Done all the time in furniture biz.  For best result, I'd give a day or three between glue-up and banding to give the assembly time to stabilize.

Mike describes  viable methods for good end product with crisp edges.

If, by chance, you're talking the peel and stick edgebanding, I think you'd be better with glue like Titebond or Heatlock.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2017, 06:50 pm »
Wow, thank you all for a bunch of great information! That all makes since to me and I will give the solid wood edge some thought. I hadn't really pictured that but it would give me a lot more options than just a square edge. So would I still run it wide and router it off at the end? Or would I cut it the exact width and glue it on carefully?

I did do edge banding many years ago and it was the glue on type, it makes since I suppose for better adhesion. Good to know it's O.K. to put it on last, I was a bit worried about that.

Has anyone tried the 1/2" maple plywood from Lowes? It looks like the maple layer is really thick but I'm not positive about that. It has a nice grain and looks of good quality.

Thanks for all the help, I feel a lot more informed now.

Greg

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2017, 03:44 am »
Greg,

Yes, run each piece wide and long then trim to fit. You can use a router to flush trim the top and bottom of the banding. The edges are easily cut with a hand saw. Do each piece one at a time or opposite pieces at the same time. I'd do the edge pieces first. Then once they were flushed up do the front and back pieces. You can go to YouTube and search for solid wood (or hardwood) edge banding. There are a number of videos.

Mike

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2017, 06:04 am »
Mike,

Thank you much for the detailed information, I understand and will follow your suggestions.

Greg