Our old B&W 801 Series 2 crossover fix stilll lives!

avahifi

E-mail from a happy client that just installed our free upgrade, fixing a B&W design blunder.

Frank...

Thank you for the instructions on how to upgrade my 801s. As requested feedback is provided below.

Wow: It has made a dramatic improvement with specific sound details as follows: As an audiophile they provide a

Clear and Sharp Attack

Solid Beats

Increased Dynamic range

Wider Fusion zone

Cleaner Harmonics

Refined Imaging

Wider Midrange

Much Clearer Stereo

Natural Vocal Warmth

Had them on stands, put the casters back on, and now no need for the stands due to these vast improvements.

Many Thanks for developing and sharing these remarkable improvements.

Regards

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Our old B&W 801 Series 2 crossover fix stilll lives!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2017, 02:53 pm »
Frank,

I wasn't aware you redid/revitalized crossovers. Is this service available for any speaker? Do you need to have the original XO in your hands to do this?

Thanks,

Michael

BTW It seems I'll be in nearby Shoreview to visit my sister in September. I sure would enjoy visiting/touring your shop. :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2017, 03:48 am »
Wonder what a 'fusion zone' is (I think I understand what the other terms mean)

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2017, 12:46 pm »
This was a one-off crossover fix that we did because my first set of 801 series two  speakers did not sound as good as they should of.  My EE analyzed the crossover and located the crossover layout issue.  The largest inductor in the bass section was located in line with the largest inductor in the midrange section.

This was causing nearly 100 percent cross coupling at 200 Hz.  The mid driver was seeing the bass signal, the woofer was seeing the midrange signal.  This screwed the frequency response and raised distortion in both.

B&W knew they had a problem but never found the issue.  They tried to fix it by supplying a bass equalizer active box (shades of Bose).  After our fix, the bass boost box was redundant.  We told B&W about it as we were a dealer then.  They fixed the issue in their next generation series 3 version.  Our thanks, we were dropped as a dealer.

Again, the fix is available as a free .pdf file from us.  Just email us for it.

Frank

Frank