C&C Monitor Speakers

Doublej

C&C Monitor Speakers
« on: 15 Apr 2017, 01:54 pm »
What's your favorite C&C Monitor Speaker, new, used, or DIY*.

* DIY - price must include cabinets, flat pack is OK.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: C&C Monitor Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2017, 02:49 pm »
Polk RTi6, used for $100-150, sounds like a $500 speaker, smooth and detailed.  The cherry finish is real wood veneer, very attractive.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2017, 03:45 pm »
Used B&W DM302 with silk soft dome tweeter (as opposed to the DM303 with aluminum tweeter).

Getting a little hard to find, but they can still be found for ~ $125 - $150.  Better sensitivity than most of its competition at 91dB, and that seems reasonably accurate compared to the volume I get with my other less sensitive speakers that have sensitivities in the 85dB to 89dB range.

Better sounding than Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, Polk RTi-38 and Insignia NS-SP213.

A nice full, smooth, natural sounding speaker overall.

Steve

vlad335

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2017, 03:50 pm »
My absolute favorite speaker now is the JBL LSR305 monitors I have on my computer desk. Coupled with a Dayton Audio 10" sub and fed by my Asus 5.1 soundcard the sound is sublime. Got all of this for under $400 with sale prices.

The Asus soundcard has a software program called Xonar Control Center which I use to crossover the Jbl's and sub at 70hz. Use the No Audiophile DSP settings through Windows as well. Continue to be blown away by the sound. Its smooth and detailed at the same time and the JBL's crossed over are very powerful and clean.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2017, 04:21 pm »
I'll second the B&W 302's. I once had a pair I rebuilt the cabinets for (since the originals are thin particle board). Really nicely balanced overall sound, good detail, and GREAT imaging. They can play pretty loud before they sound ragged too. I'd wager that they still hold their own quite well against the likes of the recent Andrew Jones Elacs and Pioneers.

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2017, 05:18 pm »
Another great buy is those Classico 1's. No crossover so they are very detailed. They are still on Audiogon for $229 a pair. Much better than Elacs and Pioneers. Was $795 a pair.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-gallo-acoustics-classico-1-new-monitors-in-black-or-cherry-2017-04-06-speakers-30067-marietta-ga

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2017, 07:29 pm »
For combination of value and sound quality within C&C guidelines I put another vote in for the JBL LSR 305.  Just add DAC/preamp to your computer and you're done (they're active designs).  They work for desktop up to medium sized rooms. 

Being old school, I'm not a fan of the constipated thin sound many of today's monitors exhibit, so my other passive recommendation is Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's.  Dynamic enough for HT, yet plenty musical enough for audio.  Image like champs with full bodied bass.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2017, 08:47 pm »
Another great buy is those Classico 1's. No crossover so they are very detailed. They are still on Audiogon for $229 a pair. Much better than Elacs and Pioneers. Was $795 a pair.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-gallo-acoustics-classico-1-new-monitors-in-black-or-cherry-2017-04-06-speakers-30067-marietta-ga

This for sure. Every time see Wally's ad I'm tempted.

dave_c

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2017, 07:19 pm »
My absolute favorite speaker now is the JBL LSR305 monitors I have on my computer desk. Coupled with a Dayton Audio 10" sub and fed by my Asus 5.1 soundcard the sound is sublime. Got all of this for under $400 with sale prices.

The Asus soundcard has a software program called Xonar Control Center which I use to crossover the Jbl's and sub at 70hz. Use the No Audiophile DSP settings through Windows as well. Continue to be blown away by the sound. Its smooth and detailed at the same time and the JBL's crossed over are very powerful and clean.

I also have these and they're shockingly good.  Only issue is they have some level of hiss from the amps.  Only audible during silence...I like to think of it as a bit of tube rush   :lol:

Seriously though, these have very clean and clear sound to them. 

Got them off ebay for $229 shipped for the Pair.  Open Box with Full warranty. 

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2017, 08:07 pm »
I just recently reviewed some Celsus Sound SP-One's here at AC, plus two others: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149789.0
Great sound for the price  ($500), and the powered version is only a bit more and has bluetooth. Do away with the amp and pre entirely  :lol:

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2017, 10:08 pm »
I'm considering KEF Q100s on amazon now for $300. Super sale since they just announced the new Q150.

What do you guys think about the KEF Q100 compared to that Gallo Classico 1? Anyone happen to have heard both side by side?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2017, 12:43 am »
I'm considering KEF Q100s on amazon now for $300. Super sale since they just announced the new Q150.

What do you guys think about the KEF Q100 compared to that Gallo Classico 1? Anyone happen to have heard both side by side?

I've heard both but not side by side. A couple of years ago a friend bought a pair of Q100's and we were both unimpressed. He only had a low end Denon receiver he was using to power them so that may not have been the best way to judge them but we both thought his older Bose speakers were a little better. Maybe with a little better electronics they could have faired more, maybe not.

I recently picked up a pair of the Classic 1's on sale from Underwood hifi and they really are nice speakers for the $229 I paid ( I believe regular price was $800 or so?). They are a much bigger speaker than the Q100's from what I remember but sound quality wise they are really a step above. The clarity and soundstage is much better and the cabinet itself is nice and solid, real wood I believe too. I've used them with a cheap tube and solid state amp as well as with my Melody integrated and they perform quite well.

Not an ideal comparison I know but for the money I definitely recommend the Classic 1's from Underwood hifi.

apstoltz

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2017, 11:45 pm »
This for sure. Every time see Wally's ad I'm tempted.

I am very tempted to try these out. I have a 31 setup right now with def tech sm45's and need more midrange detail. Anyone compare the cl-1's against the Cl-2's?

OzarkTom

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2017, 01:46 am »
I am very tempted to try these out. I have a 31 setup right now with def tech sm45's and need more midrange detail. Anyone compare the cl-1's against the Cl-2's?

Both uses the same midrange-woofer driver but different tweeters. Neither uses a crossover, so midrange detail is about the same.

I personally would pick these 1's over KEF LS50's.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2017, 02:14 am »
How's the bass on the CL-1?  I have a small room and would prefer not to use a sub. But i still want decent bass. This has pushed me towards bookshelf speakers that have a 6-6.5" woofer. Thougjt from those who've heard the Classico CL-1?

My amp will be a Fisher 500c

maxima95

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2017, 03:57 am »
Here is a page 2 of a review of the CL-1's (Be sure to read through to the Conclusion):

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-loudspeakers/bookshelf-monitor-loudspeakers/anthony-gallo-acoustics-classico-cl-1-loudspeaker-cls-10-subwoofer-review-2.html

I purchased a Cherry pair and they are a beautiful, well made, good-sounding product.  A decided overachiever at $229 + shipping.  I ran them in for quite a while.  My take on them mirrored what was stated in the review - particularly the bass.  Since I could not return them to Underwood, I sold them. 

They were such a striking, quality product for the money, I sometimes wish I had kept them.