DVA 850 monoblocks get great review in Absolute Sound Issue 273

avahifi

This is a really thorough and nice review.  One quibble, on the Equipment reports page directing you to the review, it says the amp is a Class D design.  This is in error, it is a pure analog Class AB design, running Class A up to about 50 watts.  Price is a tiny fraction of those amps compared to it.

We also have a really nice second write up on page 26 under Legends of High End Audio.  Its a short and accurate history of Audio by Van Alstine. My page is right after one about Saul Marantz and Mark Levinson.  Nice company!

Frank

Wayner

Do you have a link to the review....some of us stopped getting the AS.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Too bad AS doesn't measure anything like Stereophile. 

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Glad the latest review is out.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Too bad AS doesn't measure anything like Stereophile.

Indeed.

Best,
Anand.

aln

Re: DVA 850 monoblocks get great review
« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2017, 09:05 pm »
Why did the reviewer blow the fuses when he plugged the amps into his power conditioner?

I.Greyhound Fan

I heard the DVA 850 at Franks a while back.  It's his best sounding amp.  It is fabulous.

WGH

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: DVA 850 monoblocks get great review
« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2017, 03:15 am »
Why did the reviewer blow the fuses when he plugged the amps into his power conditioner?

Because the reviewer is just that way.   :lol:

avahifi

Here is a direct link to The Absolute Sound review of our new DVA 850 monoblock amplifiers.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/van-alstine-dva-850-hybrid-monoblock-amplifier/

Enjoy.

Frank

avahifi

Here is a direct link to The Absolute Sound review of our new DVA 850 monoblock amplifiers.

Note the output section is Class AB, not Class D as reported in some information.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/van-alstine-dva-850-hybrid-monoblock-amplifier/

Enjoy.

Frank

ricmon

Hello team AVA.  Does this amp use tubes and is it fully differential with XLR connections only like the DVA 700 Amplifier?

thanks
Ric

bummrush

Way to short of a review. Wish he would have gotten more abOOPS  should have started on top. God i spent enoughtime trying to wrap my head around Frank and switchoutputs.  output stage ,condidering it is switching.

avahifi

The DVA 850 is indeed full differential when the balanced XLR inputs are used.  The RCA inputs insert a single ended to balanced circuit into the mix at the front end.

The amp is Class AB, not Class D.  There is no problem using it with either XLR or RCA inputs, simply set the back panel rocker switch for your choice of input interconnects.

Frank

Syrah

I'd love to hear this up against Parasound JC1.

Pryso

Frank, I believe I ask you previously but can't find your reply.  Other potential customers might be interested too so I'll ask again here.

From your development of the DVA 850, are there any "trickle down" upgrades in current production of your 600 and 400R amps?  I haven't the need and my speakers wouldn't tolerate 850 wpc.

avahifi

Yes, there certainly have been unannounced nice upgrades to the Fet Valve 600R and 400R amplifiers.

These include all new internal circuit board layouts, improved adjustable voltage regulators for the tubes and power mosfets, and new improved turn on circuits.  These amps are better than ever at no increase in price.

Frank

aln

600 r upgrades
« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2017, 11:57 am »
Is it worth (or possible) for earlier 600's and 400's to be brought up to current spec?

alexscotti

How can we tell which ones we got?

tipatina

Any difference in the sound with the RCA vs balanced inputs on the 850's?