Any Gassers Loking For A Cheap Or Second Turntable

Baumli

Re: Any Gassers Loking For A Cheap Or Second Turntable
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2017, 05:20 pm »
Thank you for the tip. So it was being called Hi-Fi back then? Is this the same as "high end"? I'm not sure. I've already ordered a used copy of the magazine. Meanwhile, I am still hoping to get a worthy definition of "vintage high end audio." That would turn the heads of all those now defunct (literally) JBL engineers!

Thank you for your historical delving!

Francis Baumli

cujobob

« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2017, 08:42 pm »
This TT does not come with a dust cover and the reviews are so-so.

daves

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2017, 05:23 am »
Francis - I love the stories !  Made my evening end on a humorous note.  I was born in 1955, but being precocious, I heard all the high end stuff you did and became obsessed.  Life changed when I heard an LP-12 turntable for the first time at Jeff's old store in Webster Groves.

For the record, I HAD four turntables up to New Year's Eve when I decided this was madness and I carted to littlest one (a working Beogram 3000 with an SP-12A cartridge) to Goodwill to get a tax deduction.  The simple truth is, a man can only listen to one TT at a time.

I have a Denon DP-75 with a Mission Mechanic tonearm and a Clearaudio Maestro MM and it sounds magnificent, BUT, I listen to it once a month at most.  (The VPI and the SOTA get most of the vinyl airtime, but even they rarely displace the Sonos streamer.).

Still - to provide motivation for your journey - the Denon has the best bass I've heard from a TT.  If you can fix the one you found, go for it.  As for the arm, the Jelco's really aren't too bad and they are a good buy.  I think this combo could give your "classic" Thorens some competition !

Cheers, Binger

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant

charmerci

« Reply #25 on: 28 Mar 2017, 12:56 am »
Gosh - memories!   :thumb:   I think the D75 was my first TT with Denon tonearm... so long ago. I think I bought a DP2000 and then my brother bought an SME III arm.

daves

« Reply #26 on: 28 Mar 2017, 01:45 am »
I would wage the seminal high fidelity event was RCA being awarded a technical achievement Academy Award for development of the Shearer horn speakers system in the mid 1930s. Most everything JBL, Altec, Stephens, and Klipsch grew out of this iconic moment.
Here is a good little bio...  http://nutshellhifi.com/library/tinyhistory1.html

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 28 Mar 2017, 07:07 pm »
The Nutshell is a great reference site.  LOTS of cool stuff there.  I have a great pamphlet on the history of Western Electric (WE) that I can send to any GASer's that want a copy, (it's a 9MB .pdf file).  Just PM me. 

My great uncle Tom was a VP at WE in the early 1940's and was made a Major in the Signal Corp.  who strung phone lines all the way from Palermo, Sicily to Florence during WWII.  He was also involved in some spooky stuff, possible as a member of the OSS.  WE invented encryption for US Forces in WWII.  Unlike the German "Enigma" system, WE's encryption was never cracked. (For you vinyl guys, it involved 78 rpm record players...) WE was the "Inspector Gadget" bunch for the Nation for many years.

One very interesting division of WE is now called Sandia Labs in Albuquerque, NM.  It was actually Western Electric that figured out how to "productionize" the ultimate "Gadget", the first atomic bombs for Los Alamos NL after WWII.  AT&T offered to do this for the AEC for no profit, (imagine that today).  After setting up what is now Sandia Lab on Kirkland AFB, AT&T and WE turned the whole operation back over to the USG.  Sandia has operated as a non-profit quasi-public entity ever since, with Lockheed-Martin and others operating the facility as SETA contractors.