Beginning of the audio revolution?

Doublej

Beginning of the audio revolution?
« on: 16 Feb 2017, 02:17 am »
Is it finally starting? Look at how small the premiums are for the active version of these speakers compared to the passive versions of the same.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/john-darko-active-loudspeakers#DgdCe7KQWk5gEcwV.97

I postulate in five years that full featured active speakers similar to the KEF LS50 Wireless will be the norm and passive speakers will be a tiny fraction of the new market.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Beginning of the audio revolution?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2017, 01:05 pm »
Yes!!!

As American listening spaces get smaller and more compromised and budgets get squeezed it really lends audiophiles to finally embrace active speakers.  Audiostream.com and Sound on Sound.com have a good selection of active monitor reviews.  Of course active monitors have been the main stay of studio professionals for a long time, but have garnered a reputation for dry/analytical sound.  While I haven't found them to be lush or euphoric, they do sound closer to what the accepted audiophile norms have evolved into over the past couple of decades.  The other predominant audiophile gripe is giving up shopping for and displaying their chosen amp.  To that I say, give up the trophy hunter materialistic mentality.  Another concern comes from those who really value what an amplifier can add to the system sound (thinking mostly of tube lovers).  Well, tubes can still be applied in the preamp.

Actives have many advantages over passives, some of major ones being:
1.)  Simpler (no speaker cables, no power amp)
2.)  More efficient (less losses via high voltage crossover)
3.)  Less expensive (less amplification needed, save extra cabinet, again no speaker cables)
4.)  Amps are better matched to speakers (designer picks, one channel of amplification per driver)
5.)  The low voltage crossover can be much more sophisticated and done much cheaper (many include DSP)
6.)  Phasing errors greatly reduced (imaging/soundstaging improved)

JBL LSR305 is a prime example of a high value active speaker at the low end of the price scale.  For $300/pair MSRP you get active 2-way monitors that are on par sonically with passive $300/pair speakers.  The high end includes the $4800/pair 3-way Devialet Phantom that includes streamer, wireless connections, DSP, and DAC with 14-27,000 Hz response.  In between (and beyond price wise) is a myriad of choices. 

About 18 years ago auditioned Paradigm Studio 20 ($800/pair passive 2-way monitors) versus Paradigm Active 20 ($1600/pair active 2-ways monitors, same drivers/cabinet).  It was no contest.  Dynamics greatly enhanced.  Frequency response ruler flat - a revelation in itself.  Bass output, so deep, loud, and full that it literally gobsmacked passersby.  Overall matched the performance of the Paradigm Studio 100 ($2200/pair passive floor-standers).  Lacked room pressurizing bass but imaged much better.

I've been a single driver fan for years, even had a pair of floor-standing transmission lines commissioned.  Today those speakers (if the drivers were still available) would cost over $3000/pair and have been valued at more than twice that by some.  But last summer I bought a pair of Dynaudio BM5 Mk III (2-way active monitors, $1,400 MSRP).  Except for the deepest bass they perform nearly as well for 1/4th the current MSRP price of my commissioned speakers when my mono-blocks are figured in.  When combined with my laptop and DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core DAC/preamp/DSP they make for a simple, compact, rather killer system for under $2,000 (street pricing).

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2017, 01:52 pm »

I postulate in five years that full featured active speakers similar to the KEF LS50 Wireless will be the norm and passive speakers will be a tiny fraction of the new market.

While I recognize the positive attributes of powered and active monitors, and expect their market share to increase, they are not in and way, shape, or form going to be the dominant form factor in five or even ten years.  Audiophiles will continue to pick their amps and speakers separately for some time to come simply because we're old (by and large) and settled in our ways.  And where are the active floorstanders?  Most of us really like bass and that's something monitors won't do below 50Hz, without a sub anyway.  So for someone replacing their full range system they need to buy new cables, a not insignificant cost for many of us, stands, good ones aren't cheap, a good sub if you don't have one, and give up your favorite amp.

That being said one can't ignore the ease of which new audiophiles can set up a system with active monitors.  No need to change cables and amps cause they don't have any yet.  And secondary systems are an area where they make a lot of sense as well.  So you can't deny the probability of increased market share, not likely to be in all of our homes though.

JLM

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2017, 03:02 pm »
I agree that the move to active speakers will probably continue to be slow, but recommend we old audio farts stop proudly waving our dinosaur flags and be more welcoming of new people with different needs and more up to date thinking into the fold.  Yes, old ways like vinyl, tubes, and hanging animal heads on the wall do die hard.

With the added bass performance from active monitors, there is less need for floor standers to produce deep bass, but a few exist.  Refer to my example of stand mounted Devialet Phantoms with response down to 14 Hz.  Besides more and more evidence is out there demonstrating that bass is best produced from different location than mid/high frequencies - thus the subwoofer (which BTW is typically also active).   :wink:

walkern

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2017, 03:26 pm »
Another plus to active speakers is the option for the manufacturer to optimize the crossover points and slopes electronically, and avoid some of the drawbacks of passive crossover components.  In addition, the manufacturer can potentially apply some DSP adjustments (in addition to adding some judicious bass boost) to flatten out the overall frequency response of the speaker, and may even offer some DSP room correction adjustments (boundary tweaks and such).  Thanks to computer tech doing more at less cost, and the improvements in switching power supplies, and better sounding Class D amp modules, offering a wonderful sounding pair of self powered speakers may continue to get easier and cheaper.

I used to work for a brick and mortar hi fi shop, and we sold Paradigm speakers.  Their current Shift bookshelf speakers are self powered, not much more expensive than their passive similar speakers, and sound incredible for the $.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2017, 03:31 pm »
Most of us really like bass and that's something monitors won't do below 50Hz, without a sub anyway.
Hmmph

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2017, 03:59 pm »
IF lossless can be wireless, and IF speakers that are active/powered come out I imagine there will be a market segment waiting for them.

I am not sure if Focal or Meridian or Dynaudio (all of whom I recall have marketed some kind of wireless and active/powered speakers) have actually penetrated the market much in trying to do so.

Active has been around for a while.  The lossless, stable and wireless side I have not seen much of in the "affordable" space.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2017, 05:46 pm »
I am not sure how many, if any, of these are lossless. To this list one can add Chromecast audio and Apple Airplay.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-faYEyOXe9tQ/learn/wireless-multi-room-audio-systems.html

Makes me wonder if/how much better the market would be if there was an established standard.

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2017, 11:03 pm »
Most audiophiles aren't likely to embrace active speakers because we're (wait for it.....) -- audiophiles! I want an 80 lb. monster amp powering my monitors, not a puny little plate amp embedded on the back of a speaker that will vibrate like crazy. But active speakers for a second system -- yeah, I'd do that.

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2017, 12:18 am »
Understood, and makes sense.

There will come a time though when I sell this house in retirement and downsize which likely means I lose a dedicated room.  For that adventure it will be headphones only, or a much simpler audio setup.

Let's see what develops in the interim. 

JLM

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2017, 12:56 am »
Most audiophiles aren't likely to embrace active speakers because we're (wait for it.....) -- audiophiles! I want an 80 lb. monster amp powering my monitors, not a puny little plate amp embedded on the back of a speaker that will vibrate like crazy. But active speakers for a second system -- yeah, I'd do that.

Agree about the vibrational considerations, but as no one has heard the effect, I'm willing to differ to the wisdom of studio professionals.

But disagree that one must love "monster amps" in order to be an audiophile.  Refer back to my comment above regarding the ancient (male) practice of trophies (and egos).

2bigears

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2017, 01:01 am »
 :D. I just bought some JBL 305's and I really don't know how they can make anything on these at
          the sale price.  For computer monitors it don't get no better for this cash outlay.   
       But I do wish they had post connectivity.  My only little thing. Balanced and 1/4 inch only.
            Serious value here.  How do they do it ?   :D

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2017, 02:39 am »
As this relates to "audiphiles", presuming this "revolution" follows the described course, and considering the commonly held wisdom of quality of materials in relation to consumer electronics as a percentage of MSRP*, why do I see piles of otherwise working speakers with dead electronics, or inoperable speakers with otherwise working electronics from manufacturers that end-of-life various parts almost on a yearly basis as models change, exponentially piling up in landfills?

This would be in comparison to (relatively) reasonably priced passive speakers that can last for decades with minimal potential points of failure either in technology or materials coupled to electronics that an obsessed, passionate few engineer to outlast my grandchildren and can double in a pinch as welding equipment if pressed to do so? ;)

I agree that from a performance perspective there can be some advantages if put together thoughtfully, but sometimes in a big picture view I have to wonder if the "old ways", proven by decades (or in some unrelated cases centuries) of refinement the hard way, in the long run aren't the better way to go?

*setting aside the "high end" basically cottage industry of audio with decidedly different rules in many cases and for which making the whole active speaker endeavor cost effective as a function of scale of production might be a lot harder

skite30

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2017, 03:17 am »
Well said AJ. I am thinking my SAM1's do pretty well below 50hz. 

Early B.

« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2017, 04:22 am »
One thing that differentiates the audiophile from the typical purchaser of an audio system is our obsession with achieving the best sound, and this pursuit has proven to be predicated on the concept of "separates." Audiophiles don't buy "all-in-one" boxes. Instead, we buy transports and DACs and preamps and amps and power supplies and a whole array of other "pieces" that most people simply won't, don't or can't buy. All things being equal, a separate high end amp powering a pair of monitors is likely to sound better than a small plate amp affixed on the back of the same monitor. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2017, 04:39 am »
Well said AJ. I am thinking my SAM1's do pretty well below 50hz. 

Great speakers, but not really fair.  They're more like monitors with a small powered sub.  Glad you're still enjoying them, I was always impressed. 

Jonathon makes a good point about longevity and durability.  It is a point of concern especially with the more economical models, but I haven't heard anything about any active speakers crapping out.  I guess I'd like to see some long term failure rates for something that's been around for a while like JLM's Paradigm Studio 20 Active's, not likely to have that info released.  Maybe could get a rough estimate from reviews on Audio Review or Amazon.

And to be clear, not bashing active monitors, they're great for studios and are becoming more home friendly all the time.  Just asking questions, kicking the tires on this idea that they're taking over the world.

JLM

« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2017, 12:39 pm »
One thing that differentiates the audiophile from the typical purchaser of an audio system is our obsession with achieving the best sound, and this pursuit has proven to be predicated on the concept of "separates." Audiophiles don't buy "all-in-one" boxes. Instead, we buy transports and DACs and preamps and amps and power supplies and a whole array of other "pieces" that most people simply won't, don't or can't buy. All things being equal, a separate high end amp powering a pair of monitors is likely to sound better than a small plate amp affixed on the back of the same monitor.

Have you heard active speakers?  As I noted above, it is no contest, active wins!  The advantages of going active are huge and undeniable.  Naturally there are poor/cheap examples of active (just go to any Guitar Center), so look for a more fair example, like the well respected Neumann KH310A ($4500/pair, 10"x12"x15" 3-way monitor, 34-21,000 Hz, 116 dB maximum output at one meter).  Some DIY active, but they're competing with the resources of big companies and their results are inefficient, bulky, and expensive.  The Orion may be the best known example this.

I've considered myself an audiophile for 40 years yet don't automatically buy into the more/bigger boxes and the more complex the better concept.  In fact audiophile purists, like SET/single driver fans, have the opposite goal.  (BTW single driver speakers are active by default.)  The term you picked for audiophiles: obsession is the right word, it means being persistently troubled.   Studio folks simply go with what works and don't fixate on a thousand quirks or details that are frankly insignificant. 

I'll admit putting the amp inside the speaker may be less than ideal, but it does eliminate speaker cables, and most speakers already have the crossover inside.  BTW there are a few active designs that use a separate compartment or a separate cabinet if that's a concern but then you start to trade off one advantage for another. 

One point not brought yet is the (male-centric) hunt.  Audiophiles really enjoy researching, shopping, auditioning, and discussing each part of the system as well as assembling their own unique combination of gear.  More and more active speakers have a built-in DAC and are even wireless, thus the loss of more components and almost all cords.  Thus the in-room system begins to boil down to source + speakers + room, thus the hunting aspect of this past time is being lost. 

Another "quality" that gets lost in the move towards active design relates to pride and prestige.  Cost savings of active can be substantial.  As I alluded to above, cost can be reduced by 75% or more with little if any loss of sonic attributes.  It must really irk those who have invested $$$$$ to have their system compared with vastly less expensive, much smaller, and ridiculously simple active systems bought by those who lack all their now obsolete technical knowledge and deep pockets.

Finally, this revolution (depending on how much it catches on) threatens not only consumers who have much invested in passive technology, but much of the audio industry and of course will be pooh-poohed by the establishment (what happens in all revolutions).  Even the DIY community will be largely put out of business. 

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2017, 12:46 pm »
Great speakers, but not really fair.
To misquote Will Munny, fair's got nothing to do with it. This exemplifies, why active. It is physically impossible to get that type of depth, power and dynamics from that same size enclosure, passive. It's not cheating, it's high school level physics and common sense. Granted, not for everyone.
I get that preferences vary and a lot of folks won't break up with the amp, cables, etc love of their life. But for those who simply love music, active is certainly a viable option, despite some rather specious arguments against.
A nice pre/dac and a pair of actives makes for a great music system for some, while other may require a mountain like shrine of audio jewelry in their living rooms (as if there is no acoustic penalty). YMMV.

cheers,

AJ

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #18 on: 17 Feb 2017, 04:53 pm »
while other may require a mountain like shrine of audio jewelry in their living rooms (as if there is no acoustic penalty). YMMV.

The other day I joked that I should add legs to my power conditioner and turn it into a desk. Then I actually stopped for a minute because it seemed like a good idea. Yup. It's time to take a step back and reevaluate when...

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 2017, 05:58 pm »
I always compare audiophiles to car enthusiasts.

Some want horsepower, some handling, some vintage, and some just want to tweak, or make it look really fancy.

Most ordinary people just get in and drive their vehicles, just like most only want background music.

The new actives that are coming out will be desirable to some people, just like hybrids and electric vehicles to others.
I dont think either will dominate any time soon....most people just dont care enough one way or another....IMHO