Just Curious...

ajzepp

Just Curious...
« on: 26 Jan 2017, 02:49 am »
When you guys spend quality time listening to music, what else are you doing, if anything?

I truly enjoy music. But I find that it's often hard to sit and listen and not do anything else. For whatever reason, I feel like my eyes need to be engaged. When you guys enjoy music, are you usually on the computer? Reading? Etc?

Just curious if anyone has the same issue I do, and if so, what you do about it?

Thanks!

fridays

Re: Just Curious...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2017, 03:28 am »
Looking/Reading Audiocircle on my iPad
Sometimes when the music is great and I want  to really relax I just listen, I think it's hard for some,me, to just chill feeling we need to be doing more than just listening

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2017, 03:36 am »
It depends/varies. At times, I listen while wandering the web (this is probably what happens most these days). Sometimes, I like to put on concert videos - have quite a few on DVD/BR. Then, there are those times when I just want to melt into the chair, close my eyes and let the music take me on a journey.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2017, 05:59 am »
When it comes to serious (:lol:) listening... I simply relax, close my eyes and enjoy the experience.  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2017, 06:31 am »
Interesting feedback! So those of you guys who just sit back and listen...do you usually have a playlist set up? Or do you change the track every time one song finishes? Or play an album straight through?

I'm not some weirdo (most days), Im just really interested in this feedback...it's just like reading...I love to read, but I often struggle when it comes to actually sitting down to do it. It's the oddest thing. For some reason I almost always just default to something visual, whether it's tv, a movie, or going online. But I really want to find a way to actually give myself more of a chance to sit down and enjoy other mediums...mediums that I already know I love!

MttBsh

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2017, 02:55 pm »
My wife and I just arrived on the island of Cozumel, Mexico last night so this morning I am enjoying a cappuccino on my deck over the ocean, reading a good book, checking out audiocircle and getting ready for breakfast. First day of a week long stay in a tropical paradise. The only thing I will miss is my sound system at home but there is plenty here to love!

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2017, 03:15 pm »
IMO, if you've (likely unwittingly) trained your brain to be over stimulated, especially visually (video games, computer monitor, TV, cell phone, etc.), then it will also require retraining to get it to be satisfied with less stimulation. Satisfied to the point where it will no longer demand/seek out over stimulation. In other words, relaxed. You (your brain) is unable to relax. Take a vacation. Drive up to Lake Chatuge in Hiawassee and stay a few days in a cabin or one of the resorts. No TV, cell phone, magazine, newspaper, etc. A book is optional, as long as it's subject does not get you aggravated or excited. No shopping. Go on a hike. Sit near the lake (the dam provides a good perspective, especially at night) or find a spot for a mountain vista and force yourself to stare at the beautiful landscape for a minimum of 30 minutes. Just sit there and soak in nature. Prepare to be bored. Eventually you (your brain) will come to realize and appreciate the difference between boredom and relaxation.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2017, 03:54 pm »
When it comes to serious (:lol:) listening... I simply relax, close my eyes and enjoy the experience.  :thumb:
... then my wife wakes me up and tells me the record is over.  Seriously, this happens a lot.  :thumb:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2017, 04:03 pm »
I used to sit in my listening room with a laptop open while listening. Four years ago my life changed drastically and now I'm lucky if I get 4 or 5 hours in my listening room. Now when I'm listening I won't take any distractions in. I get totally into the music for about an hour.

If listening to vinyl, I listen to an album side, sometimes both sides. My preference though, is to listen to AIFFs on the Mac mini, usually in shuffle mode. Most of the time something will shuffle up and I'll pull up the album. Once in a while a song will shuffle up that's covered by several artists so I'll pull up the song and listen to however many different versions I have. Dylan, Leonard Cohen, and Joni Mitchell songs are good for this.

Outside the listening room, my music comes through headphones. Sometimes while searching the interwebs and almost nightly for 20-30 minutes while relaxing to sleep.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2017, 06:17 pm »
IMO, if you've (likely unwittingly) trained your brain to be over stimulated, especially visually (video games, computer monitor, TV, cell phone, etc.), then it will also require retraining to get it to be satisfied with less stimulation. Satisfied to the point where it will no longer demand/seek out over stimulation. In other words, relaxed. You (your brain) is unable to relax. Take a vacation. Drive up to Lake Chatuge in Hiawassee and stay a few days in a cabin or one of the resorts. No TV, cell phone, magazine, newspaper, etc. A book is optional, as long as it's subject does not get you aggravated or excited. No shopping. Go on a hike. Sit near the lake (the dam provides a good perspective, especially at night) or find a spot for a mountain vista and force yourself to stare at the beautiful landscape for a minimum of 30 minutes. Just sit there and soak in nature. Prepare to be bored. Eventually you (your brain) will come to realize and appreciate the difference between boredom and relaxation.

I've gone on trips and have done exactly that. I come back saying I'm taking my time and living that lifestyle.

Forget it! I become busier than before I left.  8) I then think to myself - how does anyone with a full-time job have the time to do anything?

ASCTLC

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2017, 06:52 pm »
For "quality time" I just sit back and enjoy the band I chose to listen to at that time.  It's usually because it's music with lyrics I want to compliment or change my mood at that time. I usually play the whole disc and simply skip some songs that I just don't care for. 

I rarely listen to a playlist during "quality" time because my music is basically just ripped all together for the variety.  If just enjoying music while doing other stuff (reading, cooking, leather work, internet browsing, etc), I'll playlist or enjoy discs I don't find worthy of constant attention.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2017, 07:24 pm »
... then my wife wakes me up and tells me the record is over.  Seriously, this happens a lot.  :thumb:

That only happens to me when I'm watching TV or a dull movie. :sleep:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2017, 07:28 pm »
Take a vacation. Drive up to Lake Chatuge in Hiawassee and stay a few days in a cabin or one of the resorts. No TV, cell phone, magazine, newspaper, etc. A book is optional, as long as it's subject does not get you aggravated or excited. No shopping. Go on a hike. Sit near the lake (the dam provides a good perspective, especially at night) or find a spot for a mountain vista and force yourself to stare at the beautiful landscape for a minimum of 30 minutes. Just sit there and soak in nature. Prepare to be bored. Eventually you (your brain) will come to realize and appreciate the difference between boredom and relaxation.

Excellent advice.  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2017, 07:42 pm »
Interesting feedback! So those of you guys who just sit back and listen...do you usually have a playlist set up? Or do you change the track every time one song finishes? Or play an album straight through?

When I was into vinyl I played the album through. With digital and remotes that has changed, but it also seems to me with the advent of digital came more filler.

I'm not some weirdo (most days), Im just really interested in this feedback...it's just like reading...I love to read, but I often struggle when it comes to actually sitting down to do it. It's the oddest thing. For some reason I almost always just default to something visual, whether it's tv, a movie, or going online. But I really want to find a way to actually give myself more of a chance to sit down and enjoy other mediums...mediums that I already know I love!

I love to read too, but I find it impossible to concentrate on anything else when I hear music I really like, especially when it's crystal clear and delivered in the form of a large three dimensional sound stage. That experience is just too compelling to not be exclusive.

Barstow

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2017, 01:37 am »
Agree , that IS the pleasure of it ,

ssglx

« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2017, 01:59 am »
I look straight out the window behind the soundstage. A pretty good view of the high plains and mountains beyond.

I find it sublime...

megabigeye

« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2017, 02:17 am »
Good question!  This is something I've wondered about before.

I have a few things I like to do when I'm listening to music.  I'll browse the interwebs or work on one of my hobbies/projects.  I used to also write while listening to music (I studied creative writing in college.  fat lotta good that did me. :roll: ) and let the mood of the music dictate what I'd write.  It was fun!  Browsing the internet or piddling about with something...  Well, I don't always enjoy it.  I'm not able to listen to the music.  I'll look up after half the album has gone by and realize I've missed some of my favorite songs.
...Writing, on the other hand, I was always listening to some aspect of the music.

I used to also narrate stories to myself... or, rather, let the music narrate stories to me.  Sounds odd, maybe, but like I said, I studied writing and I found inspiration in different places and music was a big one for me.  There was one track that always made me think of a big snow storm and so I had a story that went along with it.

Sometimes-- not very often-- I'll just do nothing while I'm listening.  I used to be able to do this a lot; not so much anymore.  Usually I'll just end up dozing off.

If you feel like you're addicted to screen time (or just stimulation in general-- I often feel this way anymore), I think you could probably practice being, uh, un-stimulated.  Start small: don't allow yourself to be distracted by AC, etc, for one track, then two tracks, then half the album, and see if you can work up to an entire album.  Just don't let yourself fall asleep!

ZenMango

« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2017, 06:08 am »
If playing CDs or other digital source I tend to wonder off and multitask, but I find that when I play a vinyl record, I'm drawn in and usually listen attentively, at least to one side of the LP. No interest in getting into the analog vs digital debate, just sharing my personal experience.

decal

« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2017, 03:00 pm »
If I want to listen to music that's all I'm doing, anything else is just background noise though I often get distracted from the task at hand !!!

qdrone

« Reply #19 on: 9 Feb 2017, 05:15 am »
I drink coffee in the morning,check emails,check my stocks while sitting in the sweet spot. In the evening when I get serious I turn the lights off and just submerge myself. When the lights are out it disengages your sense of sight thus your hearing is more in tune.