• De gustibus non est disputandum
Reel to Reel
« on: 25 Jan 2017, 06:02 pm »
Anyone here using tape any more?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Reel to Reel
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2017, 06:23 pm »
Probably only a very few.  My Teac sits in a plastic sack in a storage shed, what tapes that haven't been lost over the years are in a box under a bed.  I'd let you have it for a bag Cracker Jacks and a couple of burned cd's.

Bob2

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2017, 07:11 pm »
That offer is very generous.
I have been looking to pick one up.
Will use it for recording guitar when the gang is here.
I know there are probably better ways to record. Just thought it might be fun...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2017, 07:57 pm »
Bob,
If you are serious about using a RTR, shipping one would be prohibitive.  Find one locally in a pawn shop or on craigslist. Check it out thoroughly and offer $35-60 depending on model- you can bet they have $10-25 in it and no more.  Although they were not one of the better sounding units back in the day, Akai RTR seem to age better than their more highly regarded competitors.  I'd look for them first.
Scott

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2017, 08:04 pm »
Cost prohibitive is the best way to explain RTR... $400 for new albums, $20k for a new machine. Good old machines still will run you a decent amount and may need some servicing (at least any that can play the 10" reels and sound decent). Old albums which may or may not be the high quality are generally under $100, many under $15.

Cool factor? Well, hard to compete.

FireGuy

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2017, 08:20 pm »
Lates 70s I had a Teac RTR, Kenwood Integrated and Sansui floor standers.  The good old days.  Kinda wish I kept the RTR if only for the aesthetic factor.

Bob2

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2017, 10:57 pm »
Thanks everyone!
Using tape for "Hi-Fi playback is not high on my want list.
Mostly recording so we can hear where we are making mistakes.
Have a line for an Akai GX-280D 4 track. Going to see and hear it tomorrow.
Price is pretty good and comes with a couple of tapes.
Should be fun!
I'll post a photo or two if anyone is intertested.
Thanks again guys!

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2017, 09:20 pm »
I have a musician friend who uses a small digital recorder for the exact purpose you describe. It works great. A RTR deck would work, but I don't know why you'd go to all the hassle and expense.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2017, 12:03 am »
My Otari decided to stop reading tapes so is now a very impressive looking door stop.

Bob2

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2017, 01:18 am »
A RTR deck would work, but I don't know why you'd go to all the hassle and expense.

Well I won't invest too much and I can use a project to work on..

My Otari decided to stop reading tapes so is now a very impressive looking door stop.

Actually I have a door in need of a stop......
I was discussing the RTR machine with a friend of mine that worked in a Hi-Fi shop back in the day. He advised me not to bother with the Akai. He now has me looking for a Pioneer RT 707, Teac A6300 or a Technics RS-1500.

I started reading an article about the Pioneer RT 707 and wanted a cigarette after words... and I gave up cigarettes when I was 7.... Whew!

So the search is on.
I know there are arguably better ways to record. Cheaper and less hassle.  Some of the tape decks have a vintage appeal that I'm trying to resist but I'm probably going to give in....

Besides it will probably make me a Chick Magnet too? Huba Huba!
Need to start looking for a good vintage ribbon mic.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2017, 11:36 am »
It's worth the hassle and expense if you can draw the babes like that.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2017, 12:28 pm »
Back in the 70's the cool kids called it "Open Reel", not "Reel to Reel" as cassette tapes are also reel to reel.

Just had to get that out of my head, as the term "Reel to Reel" bugs me.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2017, 01:50 pm »
Back in the 70's the cool kids called it "Open Reel", not "Reel to Reel" as cassette tapes are also reel to reel.

Just had to get that out of my head, as the term "Reel to Reel" bugs me.

:thumb:

Bob2

Re: Open Reel
« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2017, 01:55 pm »
"Back in the 70's the cool kids called it "Open Reel"
Well there's the problem. I wasn't one of the "cool kids".
Now that you mention that I do remember hearing it referred to as Open Reel.

I'll try to do better Jeff!

I was going to post some info on Sunday but I'll spill a bit of it now..
I have a fellow coming over on Saturday that will be bringing a Sony TC765. He responded to an ad I placed on Craigslist. I put some speakers up for sale and stated I was interested in a possible trade for an Open Reel tape deck. He also has some Silver Era Pioneer gear he want's to sell from his collection too. So Saturday should be a fun day...

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2017, 03:35 pm »
I never called them "open reel". Had my Revox A77 since 1974 until last year when it died. While I miss the things that go on with a RTR machine, I guess I don't miss it. If I do recording, I use my Tascam and burn to a CD-R(W).

Russell Dawkins

Re: Open Reel
« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2017, 07:05 am »
"Back in the 70's the cool kids called it "Open Reel"
Well there's the problem. I wasn't one of the "cool kids".
Now that you mention that I do remember hearing it referred to as Open Reel.

I'll try to do better Jeff!

I was going to post some info on Sunday but I'll spill a bit of it now..
I have a fellow coming over on Saturday that will be bringing a Sony TC765. He responded to an ad I placed on Craigslist. I put some speakers up for sale and stated I was interested in a possible trade for an Open Reel tape deck. He also has some Silver Era Pioneer gear he want's to sell from his collection too. So Saturday should be a fun day...
That Sony is an excellent machine—especially the TC-766-2 (the 2 track version) http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TC-765.html  but make sure you know how to check the heads for wear; you drag your finger nail across the head and feel for a sharp-edged depression made by the tape. Chromium dioxide and 'metal' tape was particularly abrasive compared to the cheaper (and potentially better sounding) ferric oxide.
Here's an example of bad wear on a 4 track head:

...and here's a photo of my Pioneer RT-707. I bought it when my Revox A77 died of terminal head wear, mainly. Nothing fancy, but direct drive and very reliable; it's still completely functional. It didn't cost much either; something like $100.

This old stuff is heavy, though—the Pioneer weighs 42.5 lb and the Sony weighs 58.3 lb.

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2017, 08:05 am »
I have two refurbished R2R decks, One a Realistic TR-3000 1/4 track stereo, and the other an early 70's TEAC A-3340s four track-four channel recorder. I use them mostly for recording myself solo, with a duet and a three piece band (all acoustic traditional folk style of music). The sound quality is excellent. The sound has a natural, not-too-merciless quality that allows one to record music with a bit of the edge taken off. I like them.

Dave :green:

]

Bob2

« Reply #17 on: 3 Feb 2017, 02:06 pm »
That Sony is an excellent machine—especially the TC-766-2 (the 2 track version) http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TC-765.html  but make sure you know how to check the heads for wear; you drag your finger nail across the head and feel for a sharp-edged depression made by the tape. Chromium dioxide and 'metal' tape was particularly abrasive compared to the cheaper (and potentially better sounding) ferric oxide.
Here's an example of bad wear on a 4 track head:

...and here's a photo of my Pioneer RT-707. I bought it when my Revox A77 died of terminal head wear, mainly. Nothing fancy, but direct drive and very reliable; it's still completely functional. It didn't cost much either; something like $100.

This old stuff is heavy, though—the Pioneer weighs 42.5 lb and the Sony weighs 58.3 lb.

Russell, thanks for the advice. Lots of things to look for on this type of gear.
Very nice 707. A great buy for $100. Do you use it often?
With the weight of these things I'm going to put it somewhere it can stay.

hurdy_gurdyman, nice equipment (never thought I would say that to guy). I have heard lot's of good things about the Teac machines. Never knew Realistic had their hand in so many things..
Also good to hear that you are getting excellent sound too. I'm hoping to do that as well.

Maybe we are on the wave of a comeback for RtR. I'm seeing some on TV.

Wayner, what Tascam are you using?

Thanks everyone!

Syrah

« Reply #18 on: 3 Feb 2017, 02:08 pm »
It's worth the hassle and expense if you can draw the babes like that.

While I hate the LOL acronym.  I am.

dminches

« Reply #19 on: 3 Feb 2017, 02:20 pm »
Since we are now posting RTR eye candy, my trusted Studer A810.