Desertrider's Song3/Songcenter RT delivery anticipation thread

desertrider

Hey all-

I gave a short introduction in the newbies area, but essentially Ive been in this hobby seriously for about 8 years. Ive always loved music and film, but never really built anything in my own home until about 8 years ago. A friend of mine saw an ad on Craigslist for a mint pair of Polk RTi10's for $175 and told me "Dude, you have to jump on this!". I was a little apprehensive. I mean, my current cheapo Kenwood receiver and Pioneer towers worked fine, right? But he talked me into it. That was my first dip into the home theater pool. Funny story here. Wifey was pretty scrunchy-faced any time I wanted to add speakers or a sub, until I actually got a sub. We watched our first movie with it, she looked at me with a big grin on her face, and said "OK. I get it now". Thankfully she's blessed any purchase from there on out  :thumb:

Fast forward to today. Wifey and I sold our house in March and are building new. Projected close date is October, but got a bunch of custom wiring done in the greatroom/theater area. Dual purpose room, but focused on home theater. 2 20 amp dedicated power lines, multiple sub runs, Atmos speaker wiring in the ceiling, speaker wiring for rears. As a result of upgrading from my previous 7.1 setup to Atmos, a new receiver was in line, and it was time time to retire my Polk RTi10's and CSi6 center for something better. I chose Salk based on hours of listening tests, and people's rave reviews on Jim's fabulous speakers. I spoke to Jim yesterday, and his listening tests are done and they're ready for packing and then shipping. Im guessing some time in the next week or so.

Right now we're still in an apartment waiting for our house to finish, so wont be able to truly put these to the test until we move, but Ill certainly be able to get a nice workout here in the meantime. I probably wont be able to get the traditional FedEx truck pic, but Ill definately get one with the poor driver who has to bring them to my door  :icon_lol:

My music test list is as follows:
Steely Dan - Babylon Sisters
Jennifer Warnes - Bird On A Wire
Pearl Jam - Black
Dire straights - Brothers In Arms
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of
Norah Jones - Painter Song
Daft Punk - Solar Sailer
Gotye - State Of The Art
AC/DC - Thunderstruck
Yello - La Habanera
Aerosmith - Hoodoo/Voodoo Medicine Man
Muddy Waters - My Home Is In The Delta
Miroslav Tadic & Vlatko Stefanovski - Anadolu Oyun Havasi
Eric Clapton - Change The World
Knife Party - Bonfire
Tubular Bells - Tubular Bells (Extended Version)

I know all of these songs very well and is a nice mix of highs, lows, mids, quiet, raucous, and electronic music. Im SUPER excited to hear this playlist on my new Salks!

My equipment once all set up in the house is as follows (will be running 5.1.4):
Yamaha 3060 receiver
Emotiva XPA-2 (powering the Song3's)
Emotiva XPA-200 (powering the Songcenter RT)
Intel i7 HTPC for audio/video duty running JRiver Media Center Software
Salk Song3 fronts
Salk Songcenter RT center
Polk FXi A6 rear surrounds running in bipole mode
RSL C34E in ceiling for Atmos
Rythmik FV15HP sub
Harmony Ultimate One remote for everything

Soooo...thats it for now. Glad to be part of the Salk family!

R Swerdlow

Welcome desertrider!  I've been following your build progress on AH – you're getting satin black Song3s and SongCenter RT, right?  Going from those Polks to the Song3 will be a major step up.  Enjoy them.

I admit I dropped the ball on getting the FedEx truck photos when my Veracity STs arrived last week.  I wasn't home when they arrived, and I found it difficult to explain to my otherwise approving wife just why such photos are important.

desertrider

Welcome desertrider!  I've been following your build progress on AH – you're getting satin black Song3s and SongCenter RT, right?  Going from those Polks to the Song3 will be a major step up.  Enjoy them.

I admit I dropped the ball on getting the FedEx truck photos when my Veracity STs arrived last week.  I wasn't home when they arrived, and I found it difficult to explain to my otherwise approving wife just why such photos are important.

Oh you mean the progress where I hijacked YOUR build thread?  :icon_lol: Ive laid off because...well...thats just rude  :oops:

Yep satin black. Funny story...when I decided on Salks, I was showing wifey all the gorgeous finishes, and she was like, uh, no. I want black. Her reasoning (which I get) is it'll match anything we ever put in our rack, and our tiles and nuetral theme in the house. OK. Twist my arm. Ill take black  :thumb:

When I told my wife I needed a pic with the FedEx guy and why, I was kinda giggling and her response was  :roll: hahaha

And yes. I know the Song3's are a huge step up from the Polks, but as my friends and wife said, this is your hobby. Youve got a new house, so do it right once.

jsalk

Here's something to whet your appetite while you wait...

- Jim

desertrider

wwwwwoooooooooooooo sexy!

R Swerdlow

wwwwwoooooooooooooo sexy!
That's what they all say at first :thumb:.
You will probably be busy as you get ready to move into your new house – congrats on that too :beer:.

It might take you several weeks or months, to acquire some cool-headed rationality about these new speakers.  Take your time.  However, as one of the first owner's of Salk3 speakers, you now owe us and Jim a thorough, detailed, and glowing owner's review of this new design.  We expect the right balance between objective rigorousness  :roll: and adoration :bowdown:.

desertrider

That's what they all say at first :thumb:.
You will probably be busy as you get ready to move into your new house – congrats on that too :beer:.

It might take you several weeks or months, to acquire some cool-headed rationality about these new speakers.  Take your time. However, as one of the first owner's of Salk3 speakers, you now owe us and Jim a thorough, detailed, and glowing owner's review of this new design.  We expect the right balance between objective rigorousness  :roll: and adoration :bowdown:.

I thought thats a given ;) Ill post an initial sound review from my playlist then follow-up when Im in the house. Im sure people will be interested in how they perform for home theater (other than the wimpy 3.0 Im listening to now). As am I  :lol:

desertrider

YAY!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Song3
Production Notes: Satin black - FRONT SLOT PORT
Speakers Shipped Finished

SongCenter RT
Production Notes: Front ported - satin black
Speakers Shipped Finished

Man I am soooo excited! Where's the backflip emoji? LOL

DEP14

Very nice, I've done so many used speakers in recent years I sometimes forget how exciting it is to crack open a brand new box. 

AC/DC, Rage... also like to see some rock in the playlist!

brubacca

Likey, likey..

I really like the look with the front slot port!  Can't wait to hear your impressions.  I'm thinking these will be my next speakers.  I'm dreaming up what my finish will be. 

Ace Deprave

Re: Desertrider's Song3/Songcenter RT delivery anticipation thread
« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2016, 05:12 pm »
They look fantastic!!!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2016, 07:39 pm »
I've got to say something. (nothing earth shattering)

The first photos of the Song3 that Jim posted a couple months back left me feeling distant and uninterested in his new speakers. It wasn't the specs; it was how the drivers mixed with the chosen veneer. I just didn't care for it.

Now, however, with desertrider's new Song3s in all black I have a totally different reaction. These look really nice! Congratulations!

desertrider

« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2016, 10:41 pm »

The first photos of the Song3 that Jim posted a couple months back left me feeling distant and uninterested in his new speakers. It wasn't the specs; it was how the drivers mixed with the chosen veneer. I just didn't care for it.

Now, however, with desertrider's new Song3s in all black I have a totally different reaction. These look really nice! Congratulations!

Thanks mressequie I agree they look phenomenal in black.

Tracking shows they will be here Tuesday. *cough cough* I feel a bug coming on. Might need to call in sick ;)

Poor FedEx guy. 3 boxes, 217 total pounds LOL

R Swerdlow

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2016, 05:02 am »
Tracking shows they will be here Tuesday. *cough cough* I feel a bug coming on. Might need to call in sick ;)
Have fun Tuesday.  Jim includes big lag screws with hexagonal heads to attach the plinths to the bottom of the cabinets.  If yours are the same as I received, you'll need a ratchet wrench, or a nut driver, with a ½" socket.  Tighten them snugly, but go easy.  Don't torque them down as tight as you can pull the handle on a ratchet wrench.

Remember, if you lick them or drool on them, you can't return them :nono:.

desertrider

« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2016, 05:14 am »
1/2". Got it. I'll have that and a bib ready on Tuesday lol

Grbluen

« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2016, 10:51 am »

I ordered the Song3s in black as well!
They do look great!
After seeing the pics, the wait is going to be unbearable!

desertrider

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2016, 01:29 pm »
I ordered the Song3s in black as well!
They do look great!
After seeing the pics, the wait is going to be unbearable!

Nice!  :thumb:

Let me give you advice that you wont follow (because I dont think anyone does). Dont bother checking status every day. LOL

Grbluen

« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2016, 01:55 pm »
Nice!  :thumb:

Let me give you advice that you wont follow (because I dont think anyone does). Dont bother checking status every day. LOL

Are you psychic?

desertrider

« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 2016, 06:29 pm »
Gggrrr according to FedEx tracking they arrived in Flagstaff yesterday. I couldve made the two hour trip up there, picked them up, drove them home, and listened to them tonight if there was a way.

But no. Gotta wait for my poor FedEx guy on Tuesday  :icon_lol:

R Swerdlow

« Reply #19 on: 21 Aug 2016, 08:56 pm »
Gggrrr according to FedEx tracking they arrived in Flagstaff yesterday. I couldve made the two hour trip up there, picked them up, drove them home, and listened to them tonight if there was a way.

But no. Gotta wait for my poor FedEx guy on Tuesday  :icon_lol:
No sense in gnashing your teeth over FedEx.  Watch this, and be glad you aren't buying Dominator DMX10s.

https://youtu.be/mNzr6lfiHJE