Acoustic room that can drive you crazy !

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Acoustic room that can drive you crazy !
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2016, 10:47 am »
What is a -23 dB spl?  (From the MS link.)  How can you have less than zero sound?  How can we humanly perceive it (as long as our hearts beat, we breathe, and blood flows through our ears)?

I've been in two anechoic chambers and it is a weird sensation, even disorienting. 

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2016, 12:52 pm »
What is a -23 dB spl?  (From the MS link.)  How can you have less than zero sound?  How can we humanly perceive it (as long as our hearts beat, we breathe, and blood flows through our ears)?

I've been in two anechoic chambers and it is a weird sensation, even disorienting.

That's the kind of experience I would like to add to all the crazy things I did in my life.l
Here on planet Vietnam, it's the reverse of dead quiet,
it's soooooo noisy everywhere it drives you crazy...  :duh:

jlawson1977

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2016, 01:09 pm »

As I understand it, decibels are not a measure of absolute acoustic energy, but rather a measurement against a reference level of Zero db, considered the threshold of human audibility.  According to physics, -23 dB is the sound level of air molecules colliding with each other. 

But with the right cables I'm sure you could extract that level of detail    :D :scratch:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2016, 01:15 pm »
The videos from post #1 are blocked to me, but this may be similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXVGIb3bzHI

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2016, 06:20 pm »
What is a -23 dB spl?  (From the MS link.)  How can you have less than zero sound?  How can we humanly perceive it (as long as our hearts beat, we breathe, and blood flows through our ears)

https://m.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/243ucv/how_is_it_possible_to_have_negative_decibels/

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2016, 06:57 pm »

I felt very anxious being in an anechoic chamber. The sound of my own breathing became unbearably loud and I was starting to hold my breath to stop the noise. I also felt like a pressure was building up in my head, like the kind you get with a cheap noise cancelling headphone.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2016, 07:19 pm »
I could handle this. My tinnitus will keep me company.  :wink:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2016, 07:57 pm »
Stating -23 dB without a reference is meaningless.

Just like temperature, there is an absolute zero, so why not use it?

weatherman1

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2016, 10:40 pm »
-23dB is like the absolute zero for liquids, solids, gas, and plasma....the theoretical point at which wave form energy can not propagate.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2016, 11:00 pm »

Stating -23 dB without a reference is meaningless.

Just like temperature, there is an absolute zero, so why not use it?

Because dB are calculated as the log of a ratio. You can't take the ratio of something over zero.