Acoustical TV cover?

SoCalWJS

Acoustical TV cover?
« on: 7 Jul 2016, 09:04 pm »
After recently moving, I have ended up in the same position as many others - that is, I have a big, flat screen TV directly between my 2 channel speakers. I have seen the remark several times that this is not a good thing acoustically speaking.

Has anybody ever thought of an easily removable acoustical treatment that can be safely placed over the TV while doing 2 channel listening? I figured maybe something lined with a good microfiber on the inside to remove the possibility of damaging the screen while the outside had something reasonably nice looking that sandwiches an acoustical material that would do a bit of absorption. Available in the most common sizes of TV's (55, 60, 65, 70 inches - maybe special order anything larger). Light enough to not stress the wall mounting/TV stand and able to be put on and off by one person. I imagine it would be tough to come up with a material that would meet all these requirements.

I asked myself this question as I'm about to try throwing a microfiber blanket over my TV to see if it helps.  :scratch:

rajacat

• Washington State

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Acoustical TV cover?
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2016, 09:43 pm »
Just Google up acoustic blankets, plenty of options.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2016, 10:37 pm »
I would imagine that an actual product meant for this would be a great idea.

I have long used a free "local" option from my kids - the fleece blankets that are always around with my kids.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2016, 11:58 pm »
How about using a set of electric drapes with a remote?
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Controlled-CL-920A-Curtain-Call/dp/B0056B8Y4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467927200&sr=8-1&keywords=electric+drapes
Wouldn't work for my setup. SWMBO allowed me to pull speakers/TV about 4' from front wall. 10' Ceilings.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2016, 12:00 am »
Just Google up acoustic blankets, plenty of options.
Good thought!

The ones I saw were all ugly and would scratch my TV. Not going to risk my Panny ZT60 Plasma......

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2016, 12:03 am »

I have long used a free "local" option from my kids - the fleece blankets that are always around with my kids.

Well, I am (was) a fan of Pooh, but something closer to the "Art Panels" that GIK has would make me much happier.  :green:

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2016, 01:13 am »
I'm in the same boat still looking for a solution that wont mark up my TV

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2016, 11:31 am »
I'm in the same boat still looking for a solution that wont mark up my TV

I would try a standing Realtraps (Realtraps with stand) and also put something on the stand in case it hits the TV.  By the way, are the speakers always like that?  Are you perpendicular to the TV when listening to them?

jupiterboy

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2016, 12:07 pm »
TV sets are pretty standard sizes, so something designed with flexibility, much like a fitted sheet, that would cover the screen with a sound panel and fit around the corners of the set would work very well. I've looked around for something like this but have never seen it.

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2016, 03:47 pm »
I would try a standing Realtraps (Realtraps with stand) and also put something on the stand in case it hits the TV.  By the way, are the speakers always like that?  Are you perpendicular to the TV when listening to them?
No I face the TV when watching TV and Face my 2 CH when listening and sit dead center . Here is a older picture so you get the idea .

Charles Xavier

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2016, 05:47 pm »
I have been using and acoustical blanket for years and it works great. And it doesn't scratch the tv

Charles Xavier

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2016, 05:48 pm »

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2016, 08:40 pm »

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jul 2016, 02:57 pm »
Blankets are really only going to deal with the the upper frequencies while most of the problem is low end. I would use something like our screen panel directly between the monitors, as close to the screen as possible. It will absorb either the first bounce, second or both. 

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2016, 08:06 pm »

That opening in the wall under you TV also should be stuffed with insulation, it will act like a center channel
I had to do that with my fireplace made a huge difference . All my images where dead center no left to right 

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2016, 11:24 pm »
A good idea, if it were empty.

The left half of the "hole" is actually pretty full behind that grill cloth - built into a cavity in the wall is my tall 2x12 DIY subwoofer.  It fires through the grill cloth.

The right half of the hole (once I get off my can and move all that 2 channel gear where it belongs - into the media closet at the back of the room) is for my kids Wii.