The new T10 RB (Real Basic) affordable vacuum tube preamplifier. $899 base price

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Great observation regarding the 6DJ8 valves, and great questions, too, Tom.

I've been running Telefunken E88CCs in my T8 for years. No mods necessary. Best tube, ever.  :thumb:

avahifi

We need to see a T10 that has been already shipped and not supplied with 6DJ8 tubes.

We need to make a minor circuit adjustment here to allow use of 6DJ8 tubes.

In general, 6N1P tubes are a tiny bit hot, good for dull systems, 6CG7 tubes are milder and more "tube like".

6DJ8/E88CC tubes seem to be a happy medium to our ears.

Early T10s support 6N1P and 6CG7 tubes only.  Ones shipping now also support 6DJ8 tubes and come standard with them.

Frank

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Frank (or anyone else at AVA),

How does my T8 differ from the new T10 sonically and materially? Would the T10 be a step up or would it be a sideways move?

Thanks.

Michael

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Frank's web page seems to indicate that the T10 is better sounding:  http://avahifi.com/

Frank (or anyone else at AVA),

How does my T8 differ from the new T10 sonically and materially? Would the T10 be a step up or would it be a sideways move?

Thanks.

Michael

tomatchison

Frank-

Thanks for the quick answer.  Now I'm wondering:

1.  Does this circuit adjustment make it possible to switch back and forth between any of the three tube-types without further adjustments? 
2.  Is it the sort of thing that could be done on a walk-in basis, or would I need to leave the unit with you for days or weeks?

Michael and Tone Depth-

Frank addressed the question of the difference between the T8 and the T10 near the top of this thread.

The upgrade cost is $799 but I would not bother upgrading a T8 unless the improved headphone amp in the T10 is important to you.

The T8 was pretty darn good as is.

Frank

avahifi

I would like to have the T10 for a day or two to do the 6DJ8 compatibility upgrade.

After it is done, 6DJ8, 6N1P, and 6CG7 tubes can be used interchangeably with no adjustments.  Use in pairs only.

Regarding other upgrades from the T8 to the T10, the T10 has better power supply regulation and lower noise, a more sophisticated ground plane layout with separate sections for audio, high voltage, and low voltage so there are no charge currents at all in the audio ground plane.
It also has a better headphone buffer and it uses all very high quality polypropylene capacitors in the signal path.

And, of course, being a RB (real basic) design functionally, it has fewer contacts and controls in the signal path.  It also accepts our new Vision adjustable phono preamp section directly on the mother board with separate power supplies for this section too, with isolated seperate ground planes for the phono section audio and power supply as well.

Frank

tomatchison

Thanks, Frank.  I'll call to arrange a good time to bring it in.  It looks like going with the 6DJ8's would open up a lot more possibilities for finding high quality tubes to try.  I'm not sure how far down that road I want to go, but it would be nice to have the option.

Toynbee

Just received my T10 RB and have had few days to listen to it.  I am running it into  a 400R and acoustic zen crescendo speakers. It replaced a vision dac/pre as I upgraded to a Schiit Ygdrasil dac.  When I spoke to Frank he said that he thought that this would be a "sideways" swap.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  I was in no way ready for the improvement!  More dynamic range, clearer transients, better imaging and more.  Music sounds much more vinyl like-- I feel like I am finally hearing what's on a cd. Love it.  :D

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Hello, Toynbee.

Thanks for posting your impressions. You've got two components that I love - a 400R, which I own, and a pair of Crescendos, which I wish I owned.

Do you by any chance know how much of the change is due to your new preamp vs. your new DAC?

Michael

Toynbee

The dac made a huge difference in detail, spaciousness,image . The preamp added dynamic range and "tube" sound. I had the dac first and that was a major change. I guess you could say that the pre takes it to 11. :lol:

Birdbrain

Hi Frank, looks like a great preamp. Does Real Basic preclude adding inverter/bridge circuits to the T10?