The new T10 RB (Real Basic) affordable vacuum tube preamplifier. $899 base price

roncagg

What is the gain and output impedance of this nice looking pre?
Ron

avahifi

The standard gain of the T10 RB line stage is X10  (20dB) although we can change this as a special order request.

Output impedance is about 2k ohm.  It drives solid state power amps just fine.

If you need a very low output impedance we can wire the output of the headphone buffers to one of the back panel output jack sets and provide a buffered 47 ohm output impedance.

This design is very flexible in accommodating your needs.

Frank

mike_p

• You Never Blow Your Trip Forever
Answered/Deleted

« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2016, 06:47 pm by mike_p »

Jeff_From_Michigan

Any owners of the T10 RB who would care to share their Impressions?

Also, I am wondering if this would pair well with either of these solid state amps:

Audio Research 100.2

Nuforce Ref9SE V2 Mono's

Thanks in advance.

rcag_ils

The tube audio circuits are similar, but the T10 has higher quality polypropylene capacitors in the signal path, better and adjustable regulator circuits

"The better and adjustable regulator circuits", do you mean it's user adjustable? If it is, why would anyone want to adjust the regulator circuits? Wouldn't it screw things up?

Wayner

Of course they are not user adjustable. They are adjustable on the tech bench by the AVA technician that is doing the final assembly.

rcag_ils

Does it need to be checked and align every so often?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?

avahifi

No further adjustments required after the one time reference voltage adjustment made at initial bench test and setup.  Its pretty simple -- just a 20 turn precision resistor setting up an RL8 regulator as a quiet and stable voltage reference for the active, fast, and stable regulator current amplifiers downstream, one for each tube plate.

Frank

Denverhifi

If you read this forum regularly, you may have seen what I posted when I got my large chassis vision phono preamp. At the end of my post, I said that when I get a new preamp, it will be a AVA. That was a little over a year ago. 
 My vision phono preamp and has been traded in, and my Emotiva USP-1  has been sold.
My T10 RB   arrived on St. Patrick's Day. so I have now had it for a week.  This is a huge improvement in my system from what I had.  Everything Frank said in his description of this unit is true. Not only is it a cleaner window into the music, but a more realistic presentation of the placement of the music and people.  It is as though they have come a little more into my listening room, or I am in their room a little bit more.  It is definitely more three-dimensional than my previous set up.  Picking a acoustic guitar string, or hitting a piano key, are much more dynamic now.  Bass now has more texture, and bells seem to be in my listening room.
 Any downside? Yes, if this RB sounds this good, what does the AVA top-of-the-line sound like.

Patrick

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Sweet! Congrats!  :thumb:

Denverhifi

Frank,
Since the T10 is the first tube gear that I've purchased, I have some questions.

The blue light is still "on" when the preamp is off. Is this "stand by" for tubes?

Should I wait for the tubes to warm up for critical listening?

Next month, I'll be in Italy for three weeks. Should I unplug my T10?

Thanks,
Patrick

Wayner

Don't worry about that, it's normal. I have the FET Valve preamp and it does the same thing. This lets you know that the unit is plugged in, but not powered up (or in the "on" position).

Wayner

Denverhifi

Don't worry about that, it's normal. I have the FET Valve preamp and it does the same thing. This lets you know that the unit is plugged in, but not powered up (or in the "on" position).

Wayner

Thanks Wayner

I wasn't worried about a problem, since I've had a solid state preamp with the same "stand by" light. Just curious.

avahifi

Depending upon your AC line voltage, the blue LED may stay on in a very dim mode when the preamp is turned off.  It is being energized at a low level by the 0.01uF anti-pop disc capacitor across the power switch.  Not a problem.

Good idea to unplug all electrical components when away from home for an extended time.  Protects from lightening strikes, etc.

Frank

SJ David

rcag_ils asks if the new Audio by Van Alstine T10 RB vacuum tube preamplifier is the same circuit at the T8 without the balance control.

The tube audio circuits are similar, but the T10 has higher quality polypropylene capacitors in the signal path, better and adjustable regulator circuits, a much more sophisticated three part ground plane with isolated sections for the audio, low voltage, and high voltage sections connected for lowest ground hum paths.

In addition it has a day and night better headphone driver section and our new optional Vision fully adjustable phono section for both MM and low level MC cartridges built in.  Note the Vision phono preamp is on The Absolute Sounds Editor's Choice list for 2015.

At $899 you won't fine its equal.

Frank

Is the updated head phone driver section the same as that in the FET Valve CF?

avahifi

Yes, the headphone driver circuit in the new T10 RB is the same as in the Fet Valve CF preamp, with its own isolated plus and minus 15V regulators.

The headphone driver simply takes the output of the tube line stage and feeds it into an amazing current buffer, the LME49600 to provide one quarter amp drive current into a low load impedance at 2000 V/uS slew rate and 0.00003 percent THD.  It is as transparent as possible and provides outstanding headphone performance. It is as great a tube headphone preamp as you are ever going to find.

Frank

Listens2tubes

When will the T10 be on your website? I like to use the comparison grid, but the only Tube preamp is the Fet-Valve.  :duh:

avahifi

Right now the new T10 preamp is on our home page (scroll down).  We have not had time to do its own page yet.

Frank

tomatchison

Greetings AVA folks!  I noticed in the AXPONA thread that you have started putting 6DJ8 tubes in the T10.  I've been listening to my T10 for a week or so now using the 6GC7 tubes that Frank kindly supplied when I found the original 6NP1 tubes too bright -- and I've been quite happy with the way it is sounding now.  (It did seem to me though, that there was a definite tube break in period of 50 hours or so.)   I am curious to know:

1.  What was the difference that motivated you to start using the 6DJ8's?
2.  Are any other changes or adjustments to the preamp needed in order to make best use of the 6DJ8's?  Could I just get hold of some 6DJ8 tubes and swap them for the 6GC7's without running into any issues?

-Tom