C&C rca cables

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: C&C rca cables
« Reply #40 on: 8 Apr 2017, 11:30 am »
So I had this problem with hum on my turntable circuit, constant not variable, turned out to be a loose connection.  Before finding the connection problem I went looking for some shielded cables in those boxes full of cables we all have and had to settle on some cables from Monster, M550i is the imprint, I seem to remember they were $50, bought for a subwoofer.  I figured if the shielded cable worked I could get something better later.  But dang, I really liked these guys.  Great bass line, taunt and impactful, not mushy at all, lush mids, pleasant highs, no harshness.  Soundstage is a little narrower, but very clear with nicely delineated images within that window.  I'm sure I'll find something lacking with further listening, but initially a pleasant surprise that has me happy to eat a little crow about my statements about Monster products.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #41 on: 8 Apr 2017, 03:56 pm »
So I had this problem with hum on my turntable circuit, constant not variable, turned out to be a loose connection.  Before finding the connection problem I went looking for some shielded cables in those boxes full of cables we all have and had to settle on some cables from Monster, M550i is the imprint, I seem to remember they were $50, bought for a subwoofer.  I figured if the shielded cable worked I could get something better later.  But dang, I really liked these guys.  Great bass line, taunt and impactful, not mushy at all, lush mids, pleasant highs, no harshness.  Soundstage is a little narrower, but very clear with nicely delineated images within that window.  I'm sure I'll find something lacking with further listening, but initially a pleasant surprise that has me happy to eat a little crow about my statements about Monster products.

Nothing wrong with the 550i's.  I bought a pair of them and a pair of m1000i's used for $30pr many years ago.  They sound fine and better than my BJC's.  The problem with them is that they were overpriced when bought new.  I have since moved on from them in my main system for XLR's and use them in a small bedroom system.

I also own a pair of Monster Z4 10' speaker cables.  They sound great.  Picked them up years ago, used for  $120.  They sold fore $550 new.  Thick as garden hoses.

charmerci

« Reply #42 on: 18 Apr 2017, 10:04 pm »
So I ordered me a pair of those Velocity RCA's and I received them today.

I've only listened to them for an hour and compared them to my 6" Psyt cables connecting both of them between my DAC and Odyssey pre-amp. My preliminary finding is that they do bass somewhat better - especially on something like Muddy Waters' bass heavy Folk Singer album. A bit more recessed and veiled than the Psyt - which I like much better on piano.

Found them on fleabay for $13 shipped from this Hill Electronics in Dayton OH. Took 6 days to get to me in Utah.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302143353337

Recommended.

charmerci

« Reply #43 on: 19 Apr 2017, 10:52 pm »
I switched out these Velocity RCA's with my ($100 broken-in) Morrow MA 1.1's between my cheap Sony CD player and my Tempest pre > RAAL Philharmonitors.

No contest - the Morrow's (looks like someone here bought the used $40 pair in the Trading Circle) blow them away. Everything sounds better from top to bottom - fuller and more clear.

But, hey for $13 and you have a C&C system for non-super-critical listening, the Velocitys will do.

OzarkTom

« Reply #44 on: 20 Apr 2017, 02:45 am »
I switched out these Velocity RCA's with my ($100 broken-in) Morrow MA 1.1's between my cheap Sony CD player and my Tempest pre > RAAL Philharmonitors.

No contest - the Morrow's (looks like someone here bought the used $40 pair in the Trading Circle) blow them away. Everything sounds better from top to bottom - fuller and more clear.

But, hey for $13 and you have a C&C system for non-super-critical listening, the Velocitys will do.

If you want to blow the Morrows away, try the 150 dollar Burson Cable+. 30 day trial if not happy. From Australia.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #45 on: 20 Apr 2017, 11:18 am »
Tried the Morrow MA 1 (he gave them to a friend as we walked through Axpona last year) in a comparison of cheaper I.C.'s and not impressed with build quality or the sonics.

djbnh

« Reply #46 on: 20 Apr 2017, 12:17 pm »
If you want to blow the Morrows away, try the 150 dollar Burson Cable+. 30 day trial if not happy. From Australia.
My findings on the Burson Cable+ RCA to RCA iteration, not my cup of tea indeed

OzarkTom

« Reply #47 on: 20 Apr 2017, 01:23 pm »
My findings on the Burson Cable+ RCA to RCA iteration, not my cup of tea indeed

Worked perfectly for me, most detail and clarity I have ever heard on IC's under $600. I even bought a second cable, never shipping it back.

I think yours was showing the weakness of the Jolida. Jolida digital products are harsh sounding.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #48 on: 20 Apr 2017, 01:39 pm »
Unfortunately I run mono-blocks which are too far apart to accommodate the 20 cm cable length downstream from the magic box.  (Why can't they reverse the cable lengths for mono-blocks or active speakers?)

OTOH I recently auditioned the iFi iTube 2 and found no improvement using it as a buffer (and a degradation using it as a preamp) so not sure if the Burson Cable + would hold any advantage in my current system.

Love their bemoaning of cable snake oil, but they're very light on providing an explanation as to why their magic box would help (beyond being some sort of impedance buffer).

OzarkTom

« Reply #49 on: 20 Apr 2017, 02:13 pm »
Unfortunately I run mono-blocks which are too far apart to accommodate the 20 cm cable length downstream from the magic box.  (Why can't they reverse the cable lengths for mono-blocks or active speakers?)

OTOH I recently auditioned the iFi iTube 2 and found no improvement using it as a buffer (and a degradation using it as a preamp) so not sure if the Burson Cable + would hold any advantage in my current system.

Love their bemoaning of cable snake oil, but they're very light on providing an explanation as to why their magic box would help (beyond being some sort of impedance buffer).

I was skeptic also when I saw the cable, but the improvement was huge, bigger than the Itube2. In less than 30 seconds, I knew this was the best I have ever heard.

My buddy Rex also bought one and he says it is perfect with the Omegas. Rex has owned 3-4 times more cables than I have.

OzarkTom

« Reply #50 on: 20 Apr 2017, 02:48 pm »
I forgot, a friend messaged Burson a week ago, and Burson will make custom longer runs.

Odal3

« Reply #51 on: 20 Apr 2017, 04:46 pm »
djbnh - I liked reading your review. I did one myself a while ago as well (posted in the same cable review circle you posted it in). It's interesting to see how it works in different systems. We probably should merge the review threads...

OzarkTom - What's the system you're using it in?

JLM - I'm still liking the Burson cable alot and especially how it improves the dynamics and cleaning up the low-end, but as you found out with the ifi buffer, it works better in some systems than others. When it is a good match, it works wonderfully. I suggested to them that it would be good with an option to allow more flexibility of lengths and connections as well. I would like to be able to easily swap out cables.

Edit:
BTW: $150 is not too expensive for something audio, but it's neither bargain level C&C cables either  :D

Odal3

« Reply #52 on: 20 Apr 2017, 04:55 pm »
If you're into DIY:

Buy a couple of feet of the Zenwave 24 gauge UPOCC wire ($1.27 per ft) and make your own.

http://www.zenwaveaudio.com/product/neotech-24-gauge-upocc-copperteflon-solid-core/

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #53 on: 20 Apr 2017, 05:07 pm »
I bought a pair of Belden 8402 XLR's  for about $60pr and they sound better than my Cardas Parsec XLR's and Audioquest Columbia's.   They are clear, detailed and neutral without sibilants like my Blue Jean Cables.  They are a true bargain.  Of course, you mileage may vary as cables are system dependent.

The RCA 8402's run about $23 each for 3'.

https://btpa.com/IC8402-XX.html

djbnh

« Reply #54 on: 21 Apr 2017, 05:39 am »
Worked perfectly for me, most detail and clarity I have ever heard on IC's under $600. I even bought a second cable, never shipping it back.

I think yours was showing the weakness of the Jolida. Jolida digital products are harsh sounding.
Not sure I follow your logic, or if you closely read my review, as my regular ICs didn't present any of the Burson Cable+ issues. Nor did a pair of Groneberg ICs that I used subsequent to the review have problems. Nor does my Jolida cpd as configured show harshness. Nor does your calling all Jolida digital products harsh explain the collapsed sound stage, lack of detail, and other issues the Burson product elicited in my system. Nor does it explain how I heard the same issues, post-review, when I put the Burson Cable+ on an older Sony cd player in my system.

Happy objective listening, to all. YMMV

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #55 on: 21 Apr 2017, 03:40 pm »
If you're into DIY:
Buy a couple of feet . . . . . . . . . . . and make your own.

You can't DIY an RCA coax or XLR Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cable, as the major bulk cable manufactures.

But for a 2 foot cable, it won't matter.

Odal3

« Reply #56 on: 22 Apr 2017, 03:26 am »
Yes, it is great that there are many good C&C options fitting many different type of set-ups.

BTW: Thanks everyone for sharing their recommendations!

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #57 on: 22 Apr 2017, 02:33 pm »
I'd pick up some Belen 1694a or 1505a and solder (or crimp, ugh) on your choice of rca connectors (Dayton, neutrik, rean or much more fancy/expensive ones If you'd like)

Bulk cables in reasonable lengths are available on eBay or rawcable.com

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #58 on: 17 May 2017, 07:16 am »
oops

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #59 on: 17 May 2017, 09:21 am »
I haven't heard that brand, but I gotta get me some of those "oops" cables.   :lol: