Where is the best place to install the test cable?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
So this weekend I hope to be auditioning some of Dave's cables along with his SurgeX and Power Cables.

The question I have is where in the chain of equipment should I place the Single Cable to test?  This will also apply to the Power Cable.
At this time I have a couple Wywire Blue II and Juice that I am using.

The Equipment list is:  Modwright KWA 150SE Amp,  Gill Alana Preamp Parasound DAC And Squeezebox Touch for source.

I am sure there will be a few opinions :scratch: I am looking forward to some input and I hope to be able to supply some knowledgeable :icon_lol: answers on a few days.

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Where is the best place to install the test cable?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2015, 01:09 am »
Some details on what cable you are speaking of?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2015, 01:15 am »
I would say put the power cable on your amp and leave it there for a few days. I'm assuming you have a pair of Daves interconnects you're trying out so if that's the case I would place them between preamp and amp. I remember Dave saying it takes a few days for the cables to settle in your system and I found that to be true.

If you're pretty keen on knowing the tone of your system you should be able to pick up on what Daves cables can do. I think just keeping the cables in those places for a while is good till you're familiar with what you got then switch back to your old cables.

I eventually switched all my cables to ZenWave so I enjoy Daves cables very much. Have fun with it!

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2015, 01:26 am »
You are in for a treat. 

I wish I could give you more specifics, but since I went with a complete set of Dave's cables as well as surgeX all at the same time as new speakers, amps, preamp and dedicated power lines, this is impossible.

What I can definitively say is that the package is extraordinary and the details are continuously surprising me as I get more time with the system.

Good Luck and Enjoy...

aldcoll

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2015, 01:27 am »
Some details on what cable you are speaking of?

In addition to the SurgeX and power cord tour a close AC'er (mresseguie at 18 miles away) has been pursuing some of Dave's cables to demo.  I have yet to see the package but I believe a set of D4's has been sent. 

And so I am asking about this one cable.  And I think this also applies to any cable brought home or does it?  IS there a chain of where to place the better cable?  My guess is Amp to Pre Amp?  And then do I hope that the cable feeding the Pre is good enough :scratch:

Just some thoughts as I don't have the budget to throw a loom on and I don't have a dealer/store/Rabi with a trunk of cables laying around.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2015, 01:43 am »
Hi aldcoll, I just got a message from Michael the cables have arrived!   :D  I sent the SurgeX FedEx and it should get there Thursday (tomorrow) or Friday at the latest.

For PCs the SurgeX package has two (plus it's own 20 amp PL11 cable)... an 11g meant for amps or anything else and a 14g cable meant for anything BUT amps. The 11g has Furutech FI-50 connectors so you can see what they will do vs the PC with std connectors. You can do this on anything BUT an amplifier since the 11g sounds better on amps. ALSO, the SurgeX has one stock receptacle so you can test the Furutech GTX receptacles vs a stock one.

For ICs you have a DD, D3 and D4, In my system both source > pre and pre> amp make a similar difference. You can try both and see what you think.

The cables will take about 8-12 hours to recover from shipping and maybe an hour to sound their best after moving them around, but once you get the initial break in done just handle them gently and don't worry about it.

At the last minute I also threw in a set of SMSG speaker cables which use the same wire as the D4's signal wire. The synergy of using both cables at the same time can be amazing, and if you throw it all together at once (SurgeX, PCs, D4 and SMSG) you may be in for a major change!  :icon_twisted:

I look forward to hearing your impressions!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2015, 02:43 am »
I've got the D3 connecting the DAC to preamp and the SMSG speaker cables connected as well.

Where the hell did the subwoofer come from? I'm sure it was not in the package you sent me. Mine is disconnected and turned off.

I'm going to listen to a lot more songs, but that's my out of the gate impression......B....A...S....S.....

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2015, 07:59 am »
Tagging along as  my turn is  coming .

Really appreciate you hooking Michael up with these cables Dave, looking  forward  to it. Thanks to both of you  :beer:
Shooting you a PM Dave

jay

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2015, 05:21 pm »
Hi Jay, thanks for the PM, you have a reply. And thank you guys for trying out my cables too!  :thumb:

aldcoll

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2015, 06:22 pm »
Okay  mresseguie you have had them long enough and folks are giving me input for my testing. :thumb:
I have even added some Iggy Azalea so the wife's dance class can add some input.

mresseguie

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2015, 06:32 pm »
My doors are locked; the police have been notified, and the entire 2 channel audio system has been moved to a secret room.

Did I mention we just sold the house and have moved to the Hell's Canyon area?

What are you talking about? Do I know you? Who is this Mr. Esseguie anyway?

:nono: :nono: :nono:

aldcoll

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2015, 07:56 pm »
The Pan home visitation while I am on vacation has been canceled :flame:

mresseguie

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2015, 07:59 pm »
I do seem to remember you now.

The D4s are behaving. I'm sure it couldn't have had anything to do with my lack of experience with locking RCA connectors.

Can't you wait until tomorrow? The SurgeX on steroids hasn't arrived yet anyway.

Michael

aldcoll

« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2015, 08:02 pm »
I am good give me a call later today or when ever.  Friday Morning is my home alone time as the wife is at Zumba. :lol:

mresseguie

« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2015, 01:25 am »
2nd package has arrived with mean looking power cords.

I plugged it in. No explosion.

Alan, my wife is dragging me off to exercise, so I won't call until about 9 pm. Sorry, man.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:04 am »
2nd package has arrived with mean looking power cords.

I plugged it in. No explosion.

Alan, my wife is dragging me off to exercise, so I won't call until about 9 pm. Sorry, man.

That's what I like to hear!  :green:

Stercom

« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2015, 12:58 pm »
Just thought I'd chime in because I went through this process about a year ago. Dave is a great guy and very trusting to send all of this around. When I got that box full of cables from him I started with the speaker cables and realized right away they were a clear improvement over my old set of speaker cables. So, I left Dave's speaker cables in for the rest of my auditioning. I then compared each of his interconnects against my old set of interconnects, then I compared each of his interconnects against his own interconnects. The comparison was used on my Sony HAP-Z1ES music server running to my Red Wine Sig57 amp. I've written a review of his cables http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127507.0 - bottom line: All of Dave's cables (ZenWave) are excellent and every system is different but I purchased the D4s, the speaker cables and eventually his power cables. Anyway, enjoy your audition time with Dave's cables - its a fun process!!
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2015, 05:13 pm by Stercom »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2015, 05:58 pm »
Back to the original question?

a] to the hi-fi component that is generating the problem noise/interference.
b] to the hi-fi component that is receiving the problem noise/interference.

Remember that cord length and dress (placement) can be part of this problematic situation.

aldcoll

« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2015, 07:38 pm »
I appreciate the input on the input placement :scratch: 

Or the best location to audition a cable.  At this time I currently own have one keeper cable and there are two in the mix that are headed to the trash or bottom drawer.  I do really appreciate the chance to have all first rate Quality cables to use.  The purchase of the Modwright and Alana kind of just happened and while she say's yes you can by them I thought I should.

So it looks like the first of the week I might be able to start some testing.   I have even made some cable routing/supports so I can keep all the nice clearances and none of that nesting and commingling. 

And no I won't post any pictures of this first version on my cable holder/router stands. :scratch:

Looking forward to the first of the week.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2015, 07:47 pm »
Back to the original question?

a] to the hi-fi component that is generating the problem noise/interference.
b] to the hi-fi component that is receiving the problem noise/interference.

Remember that cord length and dress (placement) can be part of this problematic situation.

I would simply recommend trying both options and listening to the result. Most people aren't going to get too in-depth about the technical aspects of why a cable may make a bigger difference in one position vs another, and every system is different so generalizing isn't usually helpful. Hopefully we don't have components that generate problems themselves, but how they are fed power can be an issue in some circumstances, as we have discussed before. 

I know you have studied this subject quite a bit, what do you think?  :)

aldcoll, sounds great!   :thumb: