[Review] hometheaterhifi.com - FET Valve CF Vacuum Tube Preamplifier

maty

Audio by Van Alstine FET Valve CF Vacuum Tube Preamplifier Review written by Jim Clements, 25 September 2014   

-> http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/preamplifiers/preamplifiers-reviews/audio-by-van-alstine-fet-valve-cf-vacuum-tube-preamplifier-review/all-pages.html

Conclusions about the Audio by Van Alstine FET Valve CF Vacuum Tube Preamplifier

I highly recommend the Audio by Van Alstine FET Valve CF Preamp. It is an all-tube design that isn’t crazy expensive like so many competing products on the market. It has been designed with care to perform in just about any system I can imagine. And the sound is not overly mellifluous as one may wrongly expect based on the tube design. Instead, you get a sound that is accurate, extended, clean and with lifelike transient response. Sure the tubes add a touch of the golden hues tube lovers crave, but that doesn’t define or dominate the sound you hear. It’s simply a natural smoothing of the rough edges adding a nice bloom to what you hear. The FET Valve CF Preamp is also capable of excellent staging in both width and depth.

Another strong point is the flexibility of the unit. Six inputs, two outputs and a tape loop. Plus you can customize the unit with so many available options. You could start with the base unit and then upgrade later if you have real-world budget problems like the majority of the population. But I would strongly advise those with turntables to order the phono stage with their FET Valve CF Preamp. This phono stage in and of itself may be the best value in audio that I’ve heard this year.

- Greetings from Spain -

maty

avahifi

Yup, another over the top great review of our Fet Valve CF vacuum tube preamplifier in Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity.

Amazing, a client of ours in Spain noticed it first.  :)

Here is a link to the complete review, distortion tests included too.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/preamplifiers/preamplifiers-reviews/audio-by-van-alstine-fet-valve-cf-vacuum-tube-preamplifier-review/all-pages.html

We were pleased that this reviewer even reported on the awesome built in headphone amplifier (standard in all new AVA preamps) and rated our new Vision phono section as the best value he has heard this year.

Note too this review was done completely with our standard production JJ 12AT7/ECC81 gain tubes and JJ 12AU7/ECC82 follower tubes.

Frank Van Alstine

plaf26

Picked up my Fet Valve CF on 9-25-14 and started listening that evening.  I thought the T-8 (non-plussed) was great but this is another order of magnitude greater.  Hadn't read the hometheaterhifi review when I started, but came to many of the same conclusions: greater clarity, more dynamic, greater gain (a couple clicks lower on the volume control), more of the recording venue's ambience.  I usually use a subwoofer with the Maggie MMG's, but I forgot that it wasn't on and almost didn't miss it!  Now I get to go through all my music again!  Tried records (the adjustable MM/MC phono is breathtaking with a DL103R), CD's and even some old 78's on my iPhone through Airplay.  Heard a brushed cymbal on COW COW BLUES (Paul Gayten and his Orchestra OKeh 6982 [CO 49288]) I'd never heard before, and I've listened to that shellac disk for over 60 years!  The separate power supplies are a big part of the success of this unit.  We ham radio operators know the importance of a good, stiff power supply for transmitting, especially CW.  A weak PS will sag when the key is down, pulling the frequency (even with crystal control) resulting in a "chirpy" note at the receiving end.   In audio hifi it results in muddy sound and poor transient response among other things I'm sure.  Well done Frank and thanks a million!  :thumb:

plaf26

Follow up: I've got some Easy Listening mono LPs from the mid-50's (Morton Gould, Kostelanetz, etc.) on the Columbia label.  Most of the modern equipment I've heard them on seemed to reveal sort of a metallic coloration to the sound.  I've blamed it variously on the recording studio, perhaps a hold over of the old LP (pre-RIAA) recording curve, or artificial reverb supplied by a box-of-springs in the signal path.  With the new AVA Fet Valve CF preamp, that sound is all but gone!  :o  Nice work!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
maty - Great photos!! Thanks for taking the time!  :beer:

Congrats Frank and AVA!

Have fun,

Jerry

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Thanks for posting the review. I don't have one (yet), but I recently purchased a T-8 from an AC regular, and I'm delighted by its performance.

plaf26,
"Picked up my Fet Valve CF on 9-25-14 and started listening that evening.  I thought the T-8 (non-plussed) was great but this is another order of magnitude greater."

I'm really happy with my T-8, but I don't doubt that someday I might want even better sound quality. I shall remember your testimonial for someday/year in the future.

Frank,

Thank you (and Larry and Mary and ??) for what you bring to us. Excellent value and excellent quality. I can barely contain my excitement as I await my 400R.  :thumb: