TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps

wushuliu

Re: TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps
« Reply #20 on: 13 Dec 2013, 01:42 am »
Wushuliu,

What have you tweaked with the amp boards?  What was swapped out and replaced :-)

Volume pot bypassed, input caps replaced, PS caps replaced, inductors replaced, some output filter caps replaced. You know, the usual!

That said it sounds great stock. I think these amps are ridiculous value for the money, especially the $10 PE TPA3110, provided it meets one's needs. Still can't believe TBI is the only company selling retail products based on these chips. Instead the sellers on ebay are making bank. I am absolutely 100% a fanboy. I used the TPA3110 as my main amp for about a year and never tinkered with it but once - it was so good I never thought about it. Just sat there, this tiny little thing, while I messed around with everything else.

shadowlight

« Reply #21 on: 13 Dec 2013, 02:04 am »
Volume pot bypassed, input caps replaced, PS caps replaced, inductors replaced, some output filter caps replaced. You know, the usual!

That said it sounds great stock. I think these amps are ridiculous value for the money, especially the $10 PE TPA3110, provided it meets one's needs. Still can't believe TBI is the only company selling retail products based on these chips. Instead the sellers on ebay are making bank. I am absolutely 100% a fanboy. I used the TPA3110 as my main amp for about a year and never tinkered with it but once - it was so good I never thought about it. Just sat there, this tiny little thing, while I messed around with everything else.

I will be driving the Zu Soul Superfly with them which are 101db efficient, so I should be ok with the tpa3110, but will also order the 3116 based one.  Assuming the parts-express one is this one - http://www.parts-express.com/2x8w-at-4-ohm-tpa3110-class-d-audio-amplifier-board-only--320-329

wushuliu

rhing

« Reply #23 on: 13 Dec 2013, 03:15 am »
I'm getting the Sure Electronics board too for comparison to the TDA7297 Class A/B amp. I'll wire it up as a power amp and drive it with my Audio Research LS7 tube line stage. This just seems ridiculous pairing these low powered SS amps with expensive tube gear, but there is absolutely no shame in using this new technology with other high end audio gear. I'm sitting here in my man cave with my little black boxed TDA7297 connected to my Audio Research PH5 phono stage and I am just astounded how huge and deep the soundstage is and the natural tonality of this combination. I can't wait to try out the TI Class D amp. I will also be modifying a Magnavox single ended 6BQ5/EL84 console amp for comparison over the holidays.

Thomas0322

« Reply #24 on: 13 Dec 2013, 03:56 am »
I got one of the 3116s.  It does sound quite good, and way good for the money.  The ones on eBay on a bid basis usually go for about $16-$18. 

Looking around Houston, I could not find the part that clips on to the board for the source input.  I have some very fine Teflon insulated .9999 silver wire.  I ended up breaking off the front part of the plastic connector on the board and just soldering the wire to that - with RCAs at the other end.  It is delicate and possibly better sonically.  I see that the part for this is listed above in post #17.  Thanks, W.

It looks like the power draw for the 3116 is about 5 amps.  I found a Cosel linear/non-switching power supply that has worked quite well.  The 3116 is rated at 50 watts per channel.

Previously, I was playing with a TA2024 amp rated at 15 watts per channel.  The 3116 is on a board and the 2024 was completed and in a case.  The power draw is 2 amps for the 2024.

For the 2024, I found that a non-switching power supply sounded better than the switching PS.  For the 2024, I found a 12 volt linear PS by Pyramid on Amazon.  The 3116 calls for a 24 volt power supply.  I just got in a 24 volt switching PS to compare to the linear PS.  Later, I'll post how those units compare.

There are the LME49810 amps out there on eBay.  As I read some of the specs, it looks like it needs input power at both 48 volts and 60 volts.  The boards are mono and rated at 300 watts per channel.  Those are the newest (so far as I know) chips from Texas Instruments - National Semiconductor.  I think that I will stay in the minors for a while longer and work with the 3116s, or something similar.  I'd be interested in hearing about the results and conclusions if someone goes the route of the LME49810 amp.

wushuliu

« Reply #25 on: 13 Dec 2013, 04:56 am »

It looks like the power draw for the 3116 is about 5 amps.  I found a Cosel linear/non-switching power supply that has worked quite well.  The 3116 is rated at 50 watts per channel.

Just an FYI, the 3116 amps do not draw 5 amps - they use far, far less unless you are cranking high spl's/dynamic range or really want to have reserve for peak current. One owner measured only 40mA with their speakers (though full range).

Also the 3116 is usable down to 6v. Consensus elsewhere is that 12-20v is the sweet spot. I use 12v SLA batteries.

Thomas0322

« Reply #26 on: 13 Dec 2013, 05:19 am »
Five amps is flat out max power.  I believe that was the specification I saw with one seller - 4.7 amps actually.   And it about calculates out on 24 volts and 50 watts.  I like to know that the amp will be able to draw what it needs. 

It seems like the sellers' power supply specification was 18 to 24 volts.  It is interesting that you are running it at a lower voltage.  I've been out of town for some weeks.  Likely, that was a discussion here, and I missed it.  I'll look for it.  Thanks for the information.

wushuliu

« Reply #27 on: 13 Dec 2013, 06:48 am »
Five amps is flat out max power.  I believe that was the specification I saw with one seller - 4.7 amps actually.   And it about calculates out on 24 volts and 50 watts.  I like to know that the amp will be able to draw what it needs. 

It seems like the sellers' power supply specification was 18 to 24 volts.  It is interesting that you are running it at a lower voltage.  I've been out of town for some weeks.  Likely, that was a discussion here, and I missed it.  I'll look for it.  Thanks for the information.

Wasn't discussed here. The ebay seller specs are misleading. Voltage range is on the official TI datasheet.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3116d2.pdf

You can look at the charts and determine output watts vs. power. So you could run the amp off a 9v battery if you wanted to.

raysracing

« Reply #28 on: 14 Dec 2013, 01:56 am »
Silly payday purchase. Because this is about all I can afford in stereo so it feels good to buy some new toys. Bought the 3116 board and RCA input. I have four others now. Two Sure boards, Indeed and one from Thinkgeek which got this whole experience started with tripath amps. Maybe I'll even put this one in a case someday.

Oh the other big thing is I had the TBI on tour and my Lores meshed great with that amp.

lacro

« Reply #29 on: 15 Dec 2013, 03:47 pm »
I put my TPA3110 into a box which when finished, I will post pics. My new C&C Schiit Modi Dac arrived yesterday. I combined it with the TPA 3110 which I dubbed "The little Ass Kicker" (Walking dead fan here). WOW!! I am blown away. The "Little Ass Kicker" with 3 usable watts, just destroys it's predecessor the PE DTA-100A amp which has 10 times the power! 
 Anyone that thinks that 3 watts is not enough power for a nearfield computer sound system should waste $10 on the "Little Ass Kicker" and see for yourself. I am listening right now at 100 db SPL with Windows volume set a 50% Absolutely amazing :thumb: The sound from this little amp fills the room, heck it fills the whole house with great music listening!
 I think I will get some more "Little Ass Kickers" to build into boxes, and give them away as gifts. They should make great receiver destroyers...
 I know it's best to keep threads on subject, so I won't comment on my very first DAC, but I will say it is the frosting on the cake...why did I wait so long to add a DAC???

Lacro

lacro

« Reply #30 on: 15 Dec 2013, 04:03 pm »
Forgot to mention the 12V Indeed power supply I use with Tripath amps. I found somebody's online review of a Tripath amp. They stated that this PS that is 5 amps was the best switching PS they had tried. I have been using a 3 amp one from PE, but when switching to this one, the sound quality does seem to be better on all the amps I have tried it on. It comes direct from Indeed (China) with free shipping, and is pretty cheap :thumb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC90-265V-Adapter-12V5A-for-Tripath-TA2024-TA2020-T-amp-/250734255819?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a60ed1ecb

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #31 on: 15 Dec 2013, 04:04 pm »
You guys may enjoy this: http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4534
Some neat ideas for boxing up the amp for "presentation".

Bob

lacro

« Reply #32 on: 15 Dec 2013, 06:49 pm »
You guys may enjoy this: http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4534

Bob

Bob... Thanks for sharing! The "wild looking" builds are getting my wheels turning :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #33 on: 15 Dec 2013, 09:07 pm »

Bob

Yes, fleawatt's a fan of these amps. He's done some very creative builds.

fleawatt.blogspot.com

MLS

« Reply #34 on: 15 Dec 2013, 09:25 pm »
Here is my Apple Airport Express inspired TPA3110 build.  I really like the way this little amp sounds.  I think it sounds better that the Sure 100X2 2050 amp.  I made it from parts I had lying around and some 1/4 MDF board.

I can't figure out how to get the pictures to be right side up :duh:

rhing

« Reply #35 on: 15 Dec 2013, 09:43 pm »
Very nice!

lacro

« Reply #36 on: 21 Dec 2013, 03:43 pm »
Yes, fleawatt's a fan of these amps. He's done some very creative builds.

fleawatt.blogspot.com

PM sent...

rhing

« Reply #37 on: 22 Dec 2013, 09:50 am »
I received my Sure Electronics TPA3110D2 amp board from Parts Express. I started with the basic, "can't wait to set it up" setup with the amp and connected it to my ARC LS7 tube line stage preamp and Klipsch Forte II speakers.

Overall, I really like the presentation. To my ears, this amp is capable of delivering really good sound that is better than the older Tripath-based Class D amps I've had and still own; however, I have an issue with background noise that sounds like RFI. When I engage the MUTE on my preamp, the noise goes away.

MLS on another thread here mentioned he had the same problem with his TPA3110D2 amp when he connected it to his preamp, but when he connected it to his Airport Express, the noise went away.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122152.msg1287675#msg1287675

I fabricated a makeshift test chassis using some scrap wood, Aluminum angle stock and better connectors. So then I connected my amp to my iPhone and played some music and the noise went away.

• Anyone have any ideas as to why I am hearing noise with my preamp?
  • Is it an impedance-matching issue where I need to add 47kohm resistors between the signal inputs and ground?
  • Is it a shielding issue where this amp needs to be in a metal enclosure with shielded hook-up wire to limit RFI emission?

MLS

« Reply #38 on: 22 Dec 2013, 12:56 pm »
I have my TPA3110 set up with RCA inputs also and if I have a 3mm plug that converts to RCA's hooked up to the amp with the plug unplugged it makes noise until I plug it in the the Airport express.  It also makes a different weird noise when I have it connected to my with MacBook Air with MacBook Air running on battery.  I have a Maverick Audio D1 pre-amp that I use for an office set up and when the TPA 3110 is connected to that with RCA interconnects it also has the background noise.  The Maverick has a 3 prong plug where the airport express has a 2 prong plug.  I have tried connecting an alligator clip test wire to the metal screw holes on the TPA3110 and the chassis of the Maverick and the background noise was a little lower but still there. 

So I am stumped?

shadowlight

« Reply #39 on: 22 Dec 2013, 02:20 pm »
what size cable is everyone running for the binding post and power?