New, the AVA T9 and Fet Valve CF vacuum tube preamplifiers

WireNut

Re: New, the AVA T9 and Fet Valve CF vacuum tube preamplifiers
« Reply #20 on: 5 Oct 2013, 02:40 am »
I briefly got to hear the 2 new Preamps at Franks house yesterday.  I had brought over my Ultra Plus preamp to have it checked out.  I was able to A-B my preamp with the T-9 and Fet.  Both sounded better than mine.  They had a smoother sound with a little more detail and were a little more musical.  I would have liked to spend more  time with both, but I came away impressed and I am considering selling mine or having it upgraded.

Did you have a preference for the T-9 or Fet and can you describe why?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #21 on: 5 Oct 2013, 12:16 pm »

Did you have a preference for the T-9 or Fet and can you describe why?

I preferred the Fet as it was slightly smoother, a little more musical and detailed but the overall tone and sound was similar between the two.  But bear in mind I only heard them for 3-5 minutes. Both sounded better than my Ultra plus preamp with all the mods.  If I had the money I would go for the FET but I could be perfectly happy with the T-9.  In fact, I just bought a  Pass X250 amp to replace my Parasound A21 and am contemplating selling or upgrading my preamp to the T-9 or FET to get the added detail.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2013, 10:07 pm »
So what phono section is in the T9?

avahifi

« Reply #23 on: 26 Oct 2013, 10:27 pm »
This phono preamp is built into the new mother boards as a $249 option.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119692.0

It is VERY dynaminc and pure.

Frank

Listens2tubes

« Reply #24 on: 28 Oct 2013, 12:20 am »
And so the Vision is the next step up from the Insight?

avahifi

« Reply #25 on: 28 Oct 2013, 11:29 pm »
Our new Vision solid state split passive EQ phono section is the standard option ($249) on all new AVA preamplifiers now.  It is also available as a upgrade to most older AVA preamplifiers @ $349.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119692.0\

It is day and night better than our old active EQ solid state phono section.  I spent three months this summer developing it.  You can't believe how many sample PC card layouts of various designs were tried and discarded.

The Insight+ preamp line sections remain the same, outstanding current buffered select OPA627 designs.

Frank Van Alstine

skinzy

« Reply #26 on: 23 Nov 2013, 10:07 pm »
I am new to AVA products but not high end audio.  When my Audio Research amp blew a few months ago I decided to give the 600R and new FET Valve CF try.  I'm very glad I did.  I will offer this quick review. Whenever I introduce a new component into one of my two audio systems (once every decade or so) my sole measure of success is if it makes listening more enjoyable. In some cases the improvement has been small. In this case I have been blown away with both the quality and scale of improvement. I find myself rediscovering music I haven't played in years. They are driving my B&W Nautilus 802's which sound like different speakers.  Improved dynamics, speed, openness, and black field come to mind. Extremely happy customer.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jun 2015, 03:18 pm »
Frank,
is there any chance of an all "class A" version of the Fet Valve CF Preamp?

Tom Alverson

« Reply #28 on: 10 Jun 2015, 06:16 pm »
Frank,
is there any chance of an all "class A" version of the Fet Valve CF Preamp?

The high level stage is already all "class A".  The new phono section uses op-amps and solid state buffers and it turned out sounding better than a previous all tube ("class A") version of this new passive-EQ phono preamp design.  That all tube phono stage was too large to fit in the same chassis as the high level stage and was in it's own separate box. 

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jun 2015, 10:01 am »
Thanks for the info Tom.

gadfly

« Reply #30 on: 14 Jul 2015, 03:29 pm »
Just finished listenting to some McCoy Tyner 96Hz/24bit downloads.  My HT3s powered
by a FetValve CF pre and Fet Valve 600r are smooth detailed and authoritative.  Nice
air around instruments and not a whiff of that dreaded dac digititis.  I've owned AVA
gear for a yr. + and if my house burns down I would buy it again.

gad-