Announcing the brand new AVA Vision Phono Preamplifier

avahifi

Re: Announcing the brand new AVA Vision Phono Preamplifier
« Reply #20 on: 15 Apr 2015, 09:35 pm »
The Vision phono preamp project has worked out great.

There are three very very positive reviews available.  Just go to our Fet Valve CF page at our web site, www.avahifi.com and read the reviews of this preamplifier.  The Vision phono preamp was built into all of these preamps that were reviewed and the phono section got great mentions in each of these reviews.

We can ship the preamp in the new compact chassis right now.  Price $499.

Frank

Austin08

« Reply #21 on: 15 Apr 2015, 09:38 pm »
The prototype vacuum tube hybrid phono preamp we are working on will not be available as a built in option in any new AVA preamplifier, only as a separate free standing unit  It uses four tubes and four exicon power mosfets, along with eight high voltage regulated power supplies, two regulated low voltage power supplies, and oh yes, all the parts necessary for exact passive RIAA network and support structure.

It takes a large mother board all by itself.  We would need to do a double-decker preamp, 7 inches high, with stacked PC cards and fan cooling to get it all in one box along with a great tube line preamplifier.

The optional new Vision solid state split passive EQ phono preamp described above is the one now available built into either the new T9 or Fet Valve CF preamps.  It is pretty stunning in its own right.

Frank

Franks,

My bad, I mean this project.

avahifi

« Reply #22 on: 16 Apr 2015, 12:58 am »
The Vision split passive EQ solid state preamp, with a few final design improvements turned out to be better then the best tube phono section we have yet done.  It is quieter, more dynamic, more transparent, takes one hell of a lot less real estate, and is way less expensive, even after we switched to all OPA627 devices in it (a hundred dollars worth of active devices not including the LME49600 output buffers).  There are over 300 hand done solder connections on the audio board alone.

Of course we save a few dollars on capacitors - - - there are none in the direct signal path at all, no $200 Russian beeswax uranium coated capacitors left over from WW2 and no $100 fuses in it either.

Price to performance ratio, it is a steal.

Frank

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 16 Apr 2015, 01:03 am »
no $200 Russian beeswax uranium coated capacitors left over from WW2 and no $100 fuses in it either.
:rotflmao:

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 16 Apr 2015, 03:34 pm »
Views:

'ner

2gumby2

« Reply #25 on: 17 Apr 2015, 12:48 pm »
I really like the look. Very nice!

bajaed

« Reply #26 on: 17 Apr 2015, 02:55 pm »
What are the gain settings for this unit? Have a 10x5 homc. Thanks!

avahifi

« Reply #27 on: 17 Apr 2015, 06:17 pm »
40 dB gain for normal MM cartridges.

Switchable 54 dB, 60 db, and 66 dB gain for MC cartridges.

MC load settings from 30 ohm to 1K ohm with many settings in between.

Frank

Wayner

« Reply #28 on: 17 Apr 2015, 06:45 pm »
What are the gain settings for this unit? Have a 10x5 homc. Thanks!

Your HOMC is designed to work on a MM input.

bajaed

« Reply #29 on: 17 Apr 2015, 07:30 pm »
Right but for some reason 40 dB does not seem to be enough gain in my system. Could be a problem somewhere else in the vinyl  chain. My Jasmine has a really high 55 dB of gain on the mm side and I need every bit of it.

Lately I've had to crank it higher that usual to get a decent volume level. CD's sound awesome so I'm not sure if it's the phono amp, the phono cable (the ground wire came loose from the spade on the stage end) or what.

On the AVA I'm thinking the lowest gain on the mc side at 1kohms might work best with the 10x5?

Wayner

« Reply #30 on: 17 Apr 2015, 07:50 pm »
Well, I believe that cart is designed for a 47K ohm load. I think its output is rated at 2.5mv, just like my Sumiko BPS. It should be almost a non issue with the 40db of gain on the MM setting. I'm afraid 54 db of gain may overload your line preamp with some program material. The next question is, are you sure your current preamp is putting out even 40 db of gain on its mm side? Why would Jasmine make an MM preamp with 55db of gain? That is simply too much for almost all MMs.

Wayner

bajaed

« Reply #31 on: 17 Apr 2015, 07:55 pm »
The 10x5 is supposed to be 47k or less. I've read it sounds best at 1k. I've tried a Bellari at 36 dB and a used bugle, both too low.

Wayner

« Reply #32 on: 17 Apr 2015, 07:59 pm »
OK, that's quite a load change from 47K to 1K. To me, the 55db of gain should be over-modulating your whole line preamp. Perhaps the 10 X 5 isn't really putting out even 2.5mv......

I don't know. Sounds goofy.

Wayner

bajaed

« Reply #33 on: 17 Apr 2015, 08:22 pm »
I agree but have heard of other stages with high amounts of gain on mm side. Something is not right in that area of my rig.

Wayner

« Reply #34 on: 17 Apr 2015, 08:29 pm »
OK. I'm just worried that the 1K ohm load will kill your high end frequency response if you chose to go to the MC side.

'ner

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #35 on: 17 Apr 2015, 09:25 pm »
Is there any way this phono preamp could be "hybridized" to allow it to drive an amp directly? Phono stages with a volume pot are rare beasts.

avahifi

« Reply #36 on: 17 Apr 2015, 09:56 pm »
Sure, that's an easy one for us.

Just order any new AVA preamp with the Vision phono preamp option.  It will do a great job of driving any power amp.

Seriously, for the phono section to drive a power amp directly we would have to tool a new version with a volume control and a line stage after the volume control.  Even if we did this, the only cost savings over one of our great standard preamps would be the cost of a few switches and jacks.  All the support structure would still need to be there.  On a one off basis this would cost much more than a Vision preamp with the built in Vision phono section.

Extra functions added for special purposes don't come without all the design, tooling, and fabrication to make them happen.  On a one off basis the design, tooling, and set up charges would be exorbitant.

Frank Van Alstine

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #37 on: 17 Apr 2015, 11:08 pm »
Thanks

bcwstodd

« Reply #38 on: 18 Apr 2015, 02:08 am »
Your new, small chassis Vision Phono Preamp looks great! It is a rare treat to have something that is better, and costs less. You should be able to sell a ton of these :thumb:

I hope to buy one soon.

Bill

Denverhifi

« Reply #39 on: 17 Mar 2016, 03:23 pm »

As I said in the above post, my next piece will be a new preamp. Later today, a new T10 preamp will be delivered.  My AVA phono preamp was traded in, and the Emotiva will be sold.  Another new record collection,  but I'm not going to spend a dime on new vinyl! :hyper: