AVA HumDinger DC Blocker Available Now! $140

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: AVA HumDinger DC Blocker Available Now! $125
« Reply #60 on: 9 Jun 2014, 03:02 pm »
Ask any Ham radio operator:
Plasma TVs are also notorious for generating a lot of RFI interference.
They are always complaining about interference from their neighbor's plasma TV.

bajaed

« Reply #61 on: 9 Jun 2014, 03:58 pm »
Thanks Frank. Would I plug both the table and the Plasma into the HumDinger then plug it into the power strip?

avahifi

« Reply #62 on: 9 Jun 2014, 05:57 pm »
My first try would be to plug in your amp and preamp into the HumDinger, and then the turntable.  You could try plugging in the plasma TV too of course.

Frank

guf

« Reply #63 on: 9 Jun 2014, 08:12 pm »
I have a slight hum or buzzing coming from the speakers. I think its related to the Preamp. It noticeable more at night than during the day. It's an inconsistent pulsating. A little humming and a little buzzing. It"s not always annoying but I'd love for it to be silent. I wonder my problem could be helped with this?

Wayner

« Reply #64 on: 9 Jun 2014, 08:47 pm »
Frank, I have a buzz in my system only when the Plasma TV is on and only through my turntable that sits right next to the TV. I tried plugging the table into the same strip as the TV bu it didn't help.

One time I unplugged everything, and tried to straighten out the mess of cables a little before plugging back in. The buzz was reduced about 80% but it has since come back. Would your device help?

If not, any ideas?

Thanks!

Your hum is caused by RF into the cartridge of your turntable from the TV, No Humdinger will fix that. The Humdinger works thru the filtering of AC line current, not magic filtration of airborne RF.

bajaed

« Reply #65 on: 11 Jun 2014, 03:17 am »
I noticed the buzz got worse after I went from a mm to a homc. I assume a lomc would be worse?

Any way to fix the rf problem other than turning off the tv or getting something besides a plasma?

guest61169

« Reply #66 on: 11 Jun 2014, 05:00 am »
I noticed the buzz got worse after I went from a mm to a homc. I assume a lomc would be worse?

Any way to fix the rf problem other than turning off the tv or getting something besides a plasma?

You could try: mttafttv 

Wayner

« Reply #67 on: 11 Jun 2014, 09:57 am »

Well, I think you first have to prove what the noise source is. I'd get the TT humming and then unplug the TV. If the hum goes away, it was your TV. If not, it's from somewhere else.

If it were another component, the Humdinger might be the fix, but odds are the hum is from an EMI/RF source. While the TV certainly can be an EMI/RF creator, it is not the only one in the chain that can make the nasty. Power amps with large transformers can be a source, preamp with smaller transformers can, as well as wall warts and stuff like that.

In some cases, people have had to move their TTs away from the offender as far as possible to get out of the magnetic field that surrounds the offending, EMI/RF making component.

bajaed

« Reply #68 on: 11 Jun 2014, 04:53 pm »
It is the TV. It's never done it when the tv is off.

srb

« Reply #69 on: 11 Jun 2014, 05:27 pm »

I got that the mm = Moving Magnet, lomc = Low Output Moving Coil and homc = High Output Moving Coil, but I'm not catching on to the (tounge-in-cheek, I presume) "mttaftv".  (Might try to axe the effing TV?)

Steve

bajaed

« Reply #70 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:46 pm »

Hey watch it or I'll send a pm to the hmfic around here!

srb

« Reply #71 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:49 pm »
Hey watch it or I'll send a pm to the hmfic around here!

That I got!

Steve

guest61169

« Reply #72 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:52 pm »
I got that the mm = Moving Magnet, lomc = Low Output Moving Coil and homc = High Output Moving Coil, but I'm not catching on to the (tounge-in-cheek, I presume) "mttaftv".  (Might try to axe the effing TV?)

Steve

Oops, I forgot to explain the acronym "mttafttv" ;)   Move The Turntable Away From The TV
One too many beer last night!

bajaed

« Reply #73 on: 11 Jun 2014, 07:03 pm »
Yeah that's what I figured would be the answer. That would be a major pita. I suspected it was coming through the cartridge but hoped it might be outlet/power supply or a ground loop problem. There is a little bit of noise w the tv off so I may try the HumDinger.

Wayner

« Reply #74 on: 11 Jun 2014, 08:42 pm »
I'll just throw this out there, too. Lots of guys have had ground issues with their cable TV. Try removing the cable coax and see if the hum is knocked down to nothing. Also, dimmers and fluorescent lighting can definitely cause problems for us TT guys.

But, I think your single mission here should be diagnosis. I might suggest here that you start unplugging things in your AV room and see if there is an improvement. I mean it could even be your interconnects' shields are not doing their job! But, start with the basics, then move to the weird.

The Humdinger doesn't cost that much anyway, and your systems performance may benefit from it regardless of the outcome here.

BTW, one guy I know of was searching for TT hum and did discover it was coming from the transformer in his amp, and it was a loose laminate that was vibrating to the 60 cycle sinewave.

Good luck.

bajaed

« Reply #75 on: 12 Jun 2014, 01:16 am »
It definitely is the TV and TT. It does not happen on any other sources, just the tt. It goes away when I turn the tv off.

Mr Whippy

« Reply #76 on: 13 Oct 2014, 10:26 am »
Interested in two of these. UK resident so has to be designed for UK mains, and UK socket.

Designed for around 3kW device amplifier
UK 3 pin socket, and cable.

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #77 on: 13 Oct 2014, 02:32 pm »
We have shipped overseas before.  We can run our complete rack with one hum dinger.  All you would need is an adapter plug or a cord with a 3 wire IEC female end and the appropriate male end.

Regards,
Dean

Liquidsmoke

« Reply #78 on: 8 Mar 2015, 06:39 pm »
Hi,
I'm using an airlink 2kva balanced power supply. I have all my Hifi and plasma TV stuff plugged into it. When the TV is on, I get intermittent buzzing from the airlink itself. I think it's the TV that is putting dc onto the mains. So would I just connect this blocker device inline between the airlink and the TV?

Do you do a 13a version which I could plug inline between the wall power socket and the airlink to stop any cd hitting the transformer from that direction? Is this needed? I'm no power expert :)

Many thanks!

firedog

« Reply #79 on: 29 Apr 2015, 07:24 am »
I'm using a humdinger and still occasionally hear a small amount of DC offset vibration in my amp. Could running two in series eliminate this? Is there any reason it would hurt SQ?