AVA HumDinger DC Blocker Available Now! $140

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: AVA HumDinger DC Blocker Available Now! $125
« Reply #20 on: 1 Mar 2013, 05:33 pm »
We are checking now with our sheet metal house for the lead time on more chassis and covers, at least the initial tooling is done and paid for.  The metal design is Wayner's work of course and everything fits perfectly as always.

Frank Van Alstine

Just a matter of time would be my guess.

MaxCast

« Reply #21 on: 1 Mar 2013, 10:40 pm »
but, but that was like...9 days ago  :D

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #22 on: 8 Mar 2013, 07:33 pm »
Unit received yesterday, and she's humming right along. But not.  :lol:

Cute little thing, built like a damn tank. Very nice.

Thanks, Frank.  :thumb:

orthobiz

« Reply #23 on: 8 Mar 2013, 09:27 pm »
My Double Die 550 amp had a little hum/ring to it that has been eliminated by my new HumDinger. Wonder why the circuitry is not built into the amp in the first place? Increased cost, maybe not necessary in all cases, other reasons?

I am very happy with the new unit and that I'm able to keep the Van Alstine equipment in the power chain!

Paul

mark funk

« Reply #24 on: 8 Mar 2013, 10:18 pm »
I have had mine about two weeks now and is working fine nice and cool. Built like a TANK! Yes sir you should pop the top and see what build like a tank really looks like :thumb:

:smoke:                                                                                                                         

sushimaster

« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2013, 06:37 pm »
I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I recently aquired hum on my Hagerman Clarinet tube preamp.
You can read it at your leisure here.

Just placed my order for my humbuster and another ultimate 70 blank board (got an extra ST70 waiting to be restored).
ETA 6 weeks.

avahifi

« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2013, 09:32 pm »
We have placed an order for a second production run of HumDingers.

This time we are running 25 of them.  The first run of 10 sold out instantly

We will take orders for the next run right now.  Cost $125.  Delivery time 4-6 weeks

Call me at 651-330-9871 to order.  I will be around most of the weekend, working on another project too.

We never charge out your credit card until we are ready to ship.

Frank Van Alstine

Denverhifi

« Reply #27 on: 23 Mar 2013, 12:05 am »
Since I ordered mine on March 1st, there's only 24 left in this next batch!

Patrick

sushimaster

« Reply #28 on: 23 Mar 2013, 05:26 am »
Frank, can get your autograph on mine? It would be such an honor.

floresjc

« Reply #29 on: 22 Apr 2013, 12:32 am »
I have 2 questions for Frank or anyone of the gang.

1. I have my Ultra 550 on a dedicated 20 amp line. I have my small components (Tivo, preamp, etc) on a power strip on a common 15amp line that was existing in the house. My components do not normally buzz. On Sundays, when my wife is going 110% on the laundry, we get buzzing out of the speakers. Will Humdinger help fix this?

2. My sub was also built by Salk (Rhythmik 15" model with the plate amp). I use a Y splitter cable send the same signal to both sub inputs for higher level gain, but I also get more noise (from the preamp, from the outlet, who knows). It sounds a bit like the scene in back to the future where Marty turns the amp to 11 and its just vibrating before he hits the note. Do you think Humdinger might help with this?

avahifi

« Reply #30 on: 22 Apr 2013, 12:24 pm »
Our HumDinger will block low level DC from the AC power line your amplifier or small signal equipment is connected to.  This will remove or reduce transformer mechanical hum coming from the body of the equipment itself.

It normally will not eliminate hum coming from your speakers.  This is usually a ground loop, or broadcast external interference issue.  The HumDinger can't help with that.

Frank

audiogoober

« Reply #31 on: 13 May 2013, 01:16 am »
Hi Frank,

I just sent you a PM but don't believe it went through. Do you have these units available now? I plan to call you tomorrow.

Thanks,

Greg

avahifi

« Reply #32 on: 13 May 2013, 11:32 am »
We have all the Humdinger parts in stock and can build you a couple of them promptly right now.

Frank

audiogoober

« Reply #33 on: 13 May 2013, 12:29 pm »
We have all the Humdinger parts in stock and can build you a couple of them promptly right now.

Frank

Great. Thanks Frank! I have a new noise on my power line....either the power company itself or my neighbors.

I e-mailed the order form to you earlier this morning, and will call you in a few hours.

The sooner you can get them to me...the better! Thanks in advance for working on them right now.

Best,

Greg
« Last Edit: 13 May 2013, 05:43 pm by audiogoober »

audiogoober

« Reply #34 on: 13 May 2013, 09:19 pm »
My Double Die 550 amp had a little hum/ring to it that has been eliminated by my new HumDinger. Wonder why the circuitry is not built into the amp in the first place? Increased cost, maybe not necessary in all cases, other reasons?

I am very happy with the new unit and that I'm able to keep the Van Alstine equipment in the power chain!

Paul

Did the humdinger improve or degrade the sonic signature of your system or did it remain the same and just reduce the hum? I love the sound of my rig...and want to keep the same sound that I have - except for the slight hum in my amps.

avahifi

« Reply #35 on: 13 May 2013, 09:39 pm »
The HumDinger certainly won't make your system sound worse.  Eliminating any low level DC getting to your system can only make it sound better because it will just sound quieter.

Frank

audiogoober

« Reply #36 on: 13 May 2013, 10:26 pm »
The HumDinger certainly won't make your system sound worse.  Eliminating any low level DC getting to your system can only make it sound better because it will just sound quieter.

Frank

Great! Thank You.

Adding anything to the signal chain - which in my case is thousands of dollars in power cords, high grade receptacles, dedicated lines and another boatload in components always makes me nervous.

This is because.... my system is SO revealing I can just about always notice a change in the sound when something in the signal chain is altered.

Fairchild

« Reply #37 on: 12 Aug 2013, 03:47 am »
How can I tell if my transformer hum is caused by DC?

My Parasound HCA1500A hums like a banshee when my wife turns on her hair drier in the morning, so I suspect this is the case.

It may be a coincidence, but my Fairchild 260 transformer which previously never hummed, started to hum a couple of days after I swapped the 12AU7 for a 12BH7 to try it out. I put the 12AU7 back in, but now it still hums!

roscoeiii

« Reply #38 on: 12 Aug 2013, 04:46 am »
If it is coming from the chassis, and not a constant hum. I'd guess DC on the line. But since Frank has a great return policy, you can try it out to see if it helps or not.

rcag_ils

« Reply #39 on: 12 Aug 2013, 03:32 pm »
I have an issue, only one AC outlet hums at my old house, I think it was connected to a dimmer switch, is the switch the cause even when it's not on?