UltraValve Build

avahifi_lj

UltraValve Build
« on: 7 Jan 2012, 06:16 pm »
Hi,

I'm building an UltraValve amplifier.  I thought you might want to see progress photos.  This first one is some of the parts that go inside of he chassis.  I included an assembled audio board otherwise all you would have seen is a bunch of parts and an empty board.  The raw chassis is also not shown as it's covered in white plastic until the final assembly, and white-on-white is hard to see...

Larry

martyo

Re: UltraValve Build
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2012, 08:57 pm »
Cool idea, thanks. 8)

rlee8394

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2012, 09:24 pm »
Larry,

Be careful. You may end up sparking a demand for a kit version!!! :thumb:

Ron

trebejo

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2012, 07:06 am »
Fantastic initiative, Larry, thank you!  :banana piano:

avahifi_lj

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2012, 12:55 am »
Hi,

Here is a photo of the chassis parts mounted before the transformers are installed.  The two holes at the bottom are where the tubes go through the chassis.  The next photo will show the transformer wiring.

Larry

avahifi_lj

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2012, 01:14 am »
Hello from tropical Minnesota,

Today, January 10, 2012, we had a temperature of 54 degrees.  Some of the golf courses were open, and I saw a lot of people walking around the lake (yes, it's frozen over).  With temps like this I could grow to like winter in Minnesota.  As you might expect, however, we are in for a big change starting tonight with some four letter "S" word (I don't like to cuss too much), then the temps drop down to the mid-teens by the weekend.  At least I did get out over the lunch hour today....

This photo is the third major phase of building.  All of the major point-to-point wiring is done, and most of the hardware is installed.  As you can see it's easier to route the wiring before the audio board is installed.

I should also mention that we recently changed the UltraValve chassis to incorporate the IEC power jack that we are putting in all of our other new products.  To accommodate the IEC jack and the ground lift switch we did a slight bit of rearranging of the back panel.  Wayner did an excellent job of fitting all the new items.

The next step is to finish up the audio board, install the parts needed to interface the tubes to the audio board, then install the board.  Pretty soon I'll be ready for the magic smoke test :D

Thanks,

Larry

avahifi_lj

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2012, 04:22 pm »
Hi,

This is a photo of the completed amplifier.  Since the last photo the board was installed, the part and connections from the tube sockets added, the AC power switch and AV wiring added, and the signal wires were connected to the audio board.

All that is left is to test out the amp, remove the protective film, remove my finger prints, and install the base.  The next update will be the test results....

Larry

avahifi_lj

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2012, 08:46 pm »
Works like a champ!

Before testing the amp I double check all the point-to-point wiring, put in all the tubes, and set the bias pots to minimum.  Next, I hook up the scope, signal generator, output loads, and plug the amp into a Variac.

With the Variac set to low/off I begin the test by bringing the Variac up about 30% and check that the bias voltage is working.  At this point the tubes are starting to heat up, but have yet to start conducting/working.  I bring the Variac to 60-70% and continue monitoring the B+ voltage, the raw bias voltage, and the bias voltage at the output tubes.  As the tubes begin working the output begins to show up on the scope.  Once I see that the amp is working, I continue to slowly bring up the Variac to 120V while monitoring the B+ voltage.

I let the amp sit for a serveral minutes to allow the tubes to settle into the operating state.  I also monitor the bias voltage at the tubes, but don't set the bias as the voltage will drift around as the amp heats up.  During the initial warm up I start looking at the general operation of the amp by seeing how the signal looks on the scope.  Once I'm convinced that the amp is running properly, I set the bias voltage on the output tubes, then do a suite of tests to see how the amp behaves.  The tests include looking at the amplifier bandwidth, the output voltage (Watts out), the clipping nature of the amp, the noise floor, and the overall quality of the signal produced.

I'm almost done with this amp, but there is still stuff to do before it's ready to ship.  Once I'm done I will hand the UltraValve off to Frank who will give it one final polish, print the owner's manual and warranty information, then put the amp into its cocoon box for shipment.  Remember to keep the box as it's the best way to ship your UltlraValve amplifier.

The photo below is a 1KHz sign wave out of this amp.

Larry

Netdewt

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2012, 09:26 pm »
Finished pics? I'd love to build a tube amp.  :thumb: I'm in MN too. Finally getting a little snow today.  :D

mark funk

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm »
Look at Larry's work  :thumb:. He made my amp! I am happy :thumb:.

:smoke:

Listens2tubes

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2012, 02:44 am »
Beautiful work Larry.

Nocturne79

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2012, 02:45 pm »
Nice work, I loved seeing the different steps to making these great amps.  Thank you for posting it.

have a great day

Crazy Nocturne

avahifi

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2012, 04:02 pm »
Larry buids many of our power amplifiers, big and small.  His workmanship is impecable. He has all of his own test equipment so that with his finished units, all I need to do is burn them in for a day and pack and ship them.  He really makes life easy for us.

We are now building a new Fet Valve 600R for The Absolute Sound.  Larry insisted that he build this one because his finished wiring layout is even nicer than mine.  Well, OK Larry!  I don't mind being second best to him.

Best regards,

Frank

simon wagstaff

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2012, 06:39 pm »
I guess this is the place for me to post that I love my U70!!!

:)

I have performed all the mods, choke and diodes. Also put in upgraded speaker binding posts and input jacks. I am toying with the idea of replacing the tube sockets with upgraded sockets and maybe even rewiring the thing with either better wire or silver core wire. That seems like it might be a big job though, I also think that the silver wire is just silly, and stupid...

avahifi_lj

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2012, 03:51 am »
Hi,

Here is the finished amp.  There has been questions on how to remove finger prints.  I use a microfiber towel with a bit of moisture, and gently buff out any fingerprints.  I have one of these amps in my system, and I have noticed a dust haze forms.  I use a Swiffer duster to remove the dust, and if I want to get the mirror shine I use the microfiber towel.

The amp is off to Frank, and should be shipped soon.  I hope you liked seeing part of the build process.

Larry

Rocket

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2012, 06:16 am »
Hi,

Great build and thanks for posting.  I'd like to buy one of these amps one day.

Regards

Rod

bregez

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2012, 06:45 am »
Great work Larry and thanks for the cleaning tips.  The UltraValve in my opinion is the best looking modern production amp in audio.  No comments to the sound because I have yet to hear one.  My only critique is the large space between the PA060 and the chassis.   Wouldn’t isolation between the PT and chassis be possible with some thin neoprene washers?  Just wondering.
Thanks,
Brad

avahifi_lj

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jan 2012, 03:07 pm »
Great work Larry and thanks for the cleaning tips.  The UltraValve in my opinion is the best looking modern production amp in audio.  No comments to the sound because I have yet to hear one.  My only critique is the large space between the PA060 and the chassis.   Wouldn’t isolation between the PT and chassis be possible with some thin neoprene washers?  Just wondering.
Thanks,
Brad
Hi,

There are washers between the power transformer and the chassis.  The washers add a bit to the space between the transformer and the chassis, but we inlcude the wahers to help reduce the transformer hum coupled to the chassis.

Thanks,

Larry

rcag_ils

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2012, 12:51 am »
What gauge of hookup wire do you use for the Ultravalve, Larry? Also if you don't mine giving me the part number for those blue color cap, so I know they are the sure fit for the board.  I need to get going on mine.

Thanks

avahifi_lj

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jan 2012, 12:45 am »
Hi,

We use 20 and 18 guage wire.  The blue caps are 2.2 uF 400 volt film.

Larry