Experience with Rendu replacing Squeezebox Duet?

Toynbee

Experience with Rendu replacing Squeezebox Duet?
« on: 11 Jan 2014, 01:40 am »
Has anyone replaced their Squeezebox with a Rendu?  I am wondering what your experience was. 

JoshK

Re: Experience with Rendu replacing Squeezebox Duet?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2014, 03:32 pm »
I am interested in this as well.  I have a Vortexbox server and use the SBT with my beloved Lite DAC-83 (no USB).   I am starting to think that the Rendu would be a good alternative to the SBT.  Anyone compared?

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2014, 03:36 pm »
Just chiming in to remind myself to follow this. I think this is the primary question on these units; is the sound appreciably better than a SBT using digital out? You're losing the touch screen functionality, so you have to use a computer/mobile/tablet, and the price is higher than used SBTs now, so I think it they have to to make sense.

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2014, 03:42 pm »
do people actually use the touch screen?  I like the SBT mostly for the display.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2014, 03:59 pm »
I don't really care about lack of display, I will use an app on my Ipad.  I am just trying to figure out if it is worth changing.   I have a linear PSU for my SBT

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2014, 04:55 am »
I don't  know much about the Rendu other than what I read just now after doing a google search, but my first thought was why fix something that isn't broken.
 I like all the parts I can still work on to make it sound better, when I first got the touch I thought it was just OK and then Wayne hooked me up with a nice linear power supply...night and day difference. I can still swap out a dac whenever I want to try a different sound or just roll tubes in my current TADAC.....options, options, I dig options  but like I said I do not know much about the whole setup.

I'll follow this to learn from you guys.....

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2014, 01:29 am »
Team, the Rendu's primary focus is that nothing can detract from the sound. We had long talks about adding an IEC connector with a switch. Ultimately, we added the switch for good reasons, but we would prefer to eliminate it if we could. Adding a display will not even make it into a discussion because it will add unwanted noise to the system. The lack of a front display is only really an issue for a minority of potential customers and so we have to pass on it. In regards to the cost please understand that these units are hand assembled, use expensive components, are rigorously tested, and are produced in low quantities for discerning customer that want and expect the best performance in their system. If your sensibilities are with a high performance low cost alternative we offer that as well in other products such as the SOtM Mini Server. Please refer here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119470.0

Jesus R     
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2014, 10:52 pm by vortecjr »