www.the-music-cable.com

Thebiker

www.the-music-cable.com
« on: 10 Jul 2008, 03:54 pm »
As a reader at EnjoytheMusic.com, my name went into one of the prize drawing hats and strangely enough, I won something :D.  Seems a won a 2 pair of cables from www.the-music-cable.com.  So, since the prize was actually for balanced cables, that I cannot use, the Aussie company was kind enough to substitute RCA pairs in their place.  So, here are my impressions of a reasonably priced (usually $160/meter pair, currently $106/meter pair).

I received the Music Cable single ended pairs in early May.  They have an attractive outer sheath which is green patterned and puts one in mind of a snake.  My first impression was how stiff the cables were to handle.  In spite of the stiffness of the cable, they were easy enough to bend to where I needed them to be and once there stay at the spot that you put them.  The RCA connectors are first rate and lock down nicely for a solid connection.

I put them into my system with a Cary SLI-80 (KT88 based integrated amp), a Sony DVP-NS9100ES doing the bulk of the disc work and a Rotel CDP 1072.  The speakers are Paradigm Reference Studio 20’s v.3.  Interconnects used were Audioquest and speaker cables are Kimber 8TC’s.  Also incorporated is a M&K V125 subwoofer crossed at 60Hz to do the heavy lifting.  This system images and soundstages extremely well.  I am a great believer in system synergy and this system has it spades.  I can spend hours in front of it with zero fatigue.

I put Music Cables in place and dropped a disc into the Sony, sat back in my listening chair and was amazed.  I had kd lang in my living room.  (kd lang Watershed 2008).  My soundstage seemed essentially unchanged but vocals were a bit further forward and had even better clarity than I had been enjoying.  That was a surprise, so I tried a different disc and changed to Ry Cooder’s Mambo Sinuendo(2003).  Percussion was crisper, tighter and guitars had a deeper ring to them.  I went through acoustic, rock, jazz, big band and classical.  Everything just sounded tighter and had even better detail than my previous cables. 

The Music Cables have been in my system for about six weeks now.  I am a believer and would recommend them to anyone looking for interconnects.  They are great find from the folks from OZ.  If not for enjoythemusic.com I probably would have never considered a cable company from Australia.  That has changed to them being my current cable of choice.

Walt