Soundirok App

OgOgilby

Re: Soundirok App
« Reply #20 on: 7 Oct 2016, 04:17 pm »
I am curious how you are using WAV files with the BDP. I tried a few folders worth and (a) they don't even appear in Manic Moose, other than browsing by folder, and (b) with Soundirok all of the tracks have an index of one (1) (i.e. every song is Track #1).

Could be my tagging app, so if you have things working with WAV, I would be curious to read what you use for tagging.

For me, I used XLD (Mac) to transcode FLAC files to WAV and did enable the tagging stuff in XLD.

I'm on a PC and use dBpoweramp to edit the ID3 tags. I don't use Manic Moose to play anything since I have been happy with MPad. Unfortunately MPad isn't updated anymore.

Like you mentioned earlier, you do need to add the Album Artist tag or you may have issues.

I try to keep WAV ID3 tags very simple:

artist
title
album
track
year
genre
album artist

Even so, that didn't work with the previous version of Soundirok. WAV files appear to work very well with the current version and I am moving away from MPad and really enjoying Soundirok. Daniel is doing a great job with the Soundirok app and it makes MPad look dated.

My Soundirok settings:

Device: bryston-bdp-2.local

Collection URL: http://bryston-bdp-2.local/music/

Cover Filename: Folder.jpg

Artist Thumb Filename: thumb.jpg  (don't have any images set up for the artist thumb yet)

Booklet Filename: booklet.pdf (no booklets either)

-Greg

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 7 Oct 2016, 05:23 pm »
Hi Greg

I am checking this out - how do you create and store Playlists?

james

OgOgilby

« Reply #22 on: 7 Oct 2016, 07:15 pm »
Hi Greg

I am checking this out - how do you create and store Playlists?

james

Hi James,

Still trying to get a grip on that. Soundirok recognized my existing playlists (created with MPad) and they work fine, plus you can edit the playlist. I think Soundirok may use collections as playlists, but I'm not sure about it. If you press on a single song a menu comes up and there is an option to add it to a "collection", just haven't had time to mess with that function.

-Greg

Krutsch

« Reply #23 on: 7 Oct 2016, 08:26 pm »

I try to keep WAV ID3 tags very simple:

artist
title
album
track
year
genre
album artist

Even so, that didn't work with the previous version of Soundirok. WAV files appear to work very well with the current version and I am moving away from MPad and really enjoying Soundirok. Daniel is doing a great job with the Soundirok app and it makes MPad look dated.

My Soundirok settings:

Device: bryston-bdp-2.local

Collection URL: http://bryston-bdp-2.local/music/

Cover Filename: Folder.jpg

Artist Thumb Filename: thumb.jpg  (don't have any images set up for the artist thumb yet)

Booklet Filename: booklet.pdf (no booklets either)

Thanks, Greg. I updated Soundirok and it works great with FLAC/MP3/AAC; all of the above tags were fine with WAV files, except for Track #, which showed up as 1 (one) for every song. I may take another run at this, with a different tagging program and see if anything changes.

Krutsch

« Reply #24 on: 7 Oct 2016, 08:37 pm »
Hi James,

Still trying to get a grip on that. Soundirok recognized my existing playlists (created with MPad) and they work fine, plus you can edit the playlist. I think Soundirok may use collections as playlists, but I'm not sure about it. If you press on a single song a menu comes up and there is an option to add it to a "collection", just haven't had time to mess with that function.

-Greg

I am still creating my playlists on my Mac (using Vox) and then I use TextEdit to mass-change the leading paths for songs to match the mount point of the music folder on the Bryston BDP-1. You can SMB-mount the USERS share and directly copy/edit the playlists and then just Update - BUT, if you do that on a Mac, be sure to run something like "BlueHarvest" (Mac app) to prevent metadata files/folders from being created in the BDP, which will show up as extra playlists with goofy names.

And, as you've noticed, you can edit existing playlists via the Soundirok interface, but I haven't seen if you can create a new playlist from an existing playback queue on Soundirok. I'm either missing something or that's sort of the last missing feature for me.

As for "Collections", you can create device-local playlists that are on your iPad with Soundirok. I haven't used this, but I have used the "Intelligent Sets" feature, which lets you define "Smart Playlists" for MPD which works across multiple devices (anything that uses MPD for playback). This feature is very cool and I've had created a number of sets, based on Genre and Artist parameters.

OgOgilby

« Reply #25 on: 8 Oct 2016, 12:32 am »
Thanks, Greg. I updated Soundirok and it works great with FLAC/MP3/AAC; all of the above tags were fine with WAV files, except for Track #, which showed up as 1 (one) for every song. I may take another run at this, with a different tagging program and see if anything changes.

That is strange, but nothing surprises me these days.

One odd issue I have had with WAV track numbering was using 01, 02, etc.. I had to use 1, 2, etc. instead.

I find that WAV files sound a tiny bit better than FLAC, but I'm not sure it is worth the hassle of dealing with the WAV tag issues.

-Greg

Krutsch

« Reply #26 on: 11 Oct 2016, 02:00 am »

One odd issue I have had with WAV track numbering was using 01, 02, etc.. I had to use 1, 2, etc. instead.

I find that WAV files sound a tiny bit better than FLAC, but I'm not sure it is worth the hassle of dealing with the WAV tag issues.

-Greg

That last part was where I landed.  :thumb:

XMAN

« Reply #27 on: 11 Oct 2016, 05:34 am »
I am still creating my playlists on my Mac (using Vox) and then I use TextEdit to mass-change the leading paths for songs to match the mount point of the music folder on the Bryston BDP-1. You can SMB-mount the USERS share and directly copy/edit the playlists and then just Update - BUT, if you do that on a Mac, be sure to run something like "BlueHarvest" (Mac app) to prevent metadata files/folders from being created in the BDP, which will show up as extra playlists with goofy names.

And, as you've noticed, you can edit existing playlists via the Soundirok interface, but I haven't seen if you can create a new playlist from an existing playback queue on Soundirok. I'm either missing something or that's sort of the last missing feature for me.

As for "Collections", you can create device-local playlists that are on your iPad with Soundirok. I haven't used this, but I have used the "Intelligent Sets" feature, which lets you define "Smart Playlists" for MPD which works across multiple devices (anything that uses MPD for playback). This feature is very cool and I've had created a number of sets, based on Genre and Artist parameters.

I am also digging the "Intelligent Sets" i have my library set up in separate branches so i can find albums fast using MM but i discovered today that i can set "field" to "Path" then set "matching" to "contains" then set the "value' by typing in the name of the path, very cool.  So i have a hi res set a jazz set a classical set ect.  I noticed with some albums the cover art is blotchy and the play list for some albums have inconstant text size some of songs text is so you small you can't read it at all,  very strange anyone else notice this?

Krutsch

« Reply #28 on: 11 Oct 2016, 06:29 pm »
I am also digging the "Intelligent Sets" i have my library set up in separate branches so i can find albums fast using MM but i discovered today that i can set "field" to "Path" then set "matching" to "contains" then set the "value' by typing in the name of the path, very cool.  So i have a hi res set a jazz set a classical set ect.  I noticed with some albums the cover art is blotchy and the play list for some albums have inconstant text size some of songs text is so you small you can't read it at all,  very strange anyone else notice this?

For the first issue, you have to tell me more about what "blotchy" means - I have perfect album art coverage for my collection with Soundirok, but I am meticulous about having a "folder.jpg" in each album's folder.

For the second issue, Soundirok will adjust the font size, dynamically, to make the album title fit in the space allowed by the app. Sometimes this presents text that is way too small and, IMO, it can make it hard to read a list of tracks - especially with classical titles. I don't care for it, but it's done by design.

XMAN

« Reply #29 on: 11 Oct 2016, 07:45 pm »

For the first issue, you have to tell me more about what "blotchy" means - I have perfect album art coverage for my collection with Soundirok, but I am meticulous about having a "folder.jpg" in each album's folder.

For the second issue, Soundirok will adjust the font size, dynamically, to make the album title fit in the space allowed by the app. Sometimes this presents text that is way too small and, IMO, it can make it hard to read a list of tracks - especially with classical titles. I don't care for it, but it's done by design.

I also have a folder.jpg in each file and the art works ok with Mpad to best describe would be like a negative image especially i predominantly white pics in only some of the albums not all.  The font issue for the song titles is a problem that really needs to be addressed IMO because they cannot be read at all.  Update it happens on white colors and only in the main view not after its has been selected. 
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2016, 02:12 pm by XMAN »

Krutsch

« Reply #30 on: 15 Oct 2016, 07:57 pm »

I also have a folder.jpg in each file and the art works ok with Mpad to best describe would be like a negative image especially i predominantly white pics in only some of the albums not all.  The font issue for the song titles is a problem that really needs to be addressed IMO because they cannot be read at all.  Update it happens on white colors and only in the main view not after its has been selected.

I have roughly 1500 albums in my collection. I switched to Album view and swiped through my collection and I don't have a single image that looks like what you are showing in your collection.

It seems that Soundirok is having trouble scaling some images, prior to displaying in the app. Maybe look at one of the bad ones and see if it's proportionally scaled and/or a very large or very small image. I'm just guessing here, but I make sure my images are all square and are scaled between 600x600 and 1024x1024 (no larger and no smaller).

Not sure what else to suggest, other than sending daniel (the author) one of your problem images and see if he can offer any insight into what's going wrong.

XMAN

« Reply #31 on: 15 Oct 2016, 08:46 pm »
I have roughly 1500 albums in my collection. I switched to Album view and swiped through my collection and I don't have a single image that looks like what you are showing in your collection.

It seems that Soundirok is having trouble scaling some images, prior to displaying in the app. Maybe look at one of the bad ones and see if it's proportionally scaled and/or a very large or very small image. I'm just guessing here, but I make sure my images are all square and are scaled between 600x600 and 1024x1024 (no larger and no smaller).

Not sure what else to suggest, other than sending daniel (the author) one of your problem images and see if he can offer any insight into what's going wrong.

I have contacted and sent Daniel an email and will have a look at the file sizes but one thing that seems to be common is when the boarder of the album is white it comes out like that.  Some faces again white colour get converted black which comes out like black blocks.  This is only in the main screen as shown.

UPDATE  Daniel solved the problem I had cashe enabled and my iPad was messing things up alll good now Daniel was very responsive.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2016, 01:13 am by XMAN »

Krutsch

« Reply #32 on: 20 Oct 2016, 03:27 am »

UPDATE  Daniel solved the problem I had cashe enabled and my iPad was messing things up alll good now Daniel was very responsive.

Great news. In general, when I make significant updates to the my library, I usually tap the "Clear local image cache" option to rebuild everything. Doesn't take long and ensures that changes I've made to album images get updated.

I am loving this app...

XMAN

« Reply #33 on: 20 Oct 2016, 01:37 pm »
Great news. In general, when I make significant updates to the my library, I usually tap the "Clear local image cache" option to rebuild everything. Doesn't take long and ensures that changes I've made to album images get updated.

I am loving this app...
I haven't been able to clear my cache on the ipad it seems you need to jail break it first.  i'm really liking this app though its much better than mpad by a long shot the ability to separate you library is gold IMHO.  Thanks for your help

Krutsch

« Reply #34 on: 21 Oct 2016, 05:19 am »
I haven't been able to clear my cache on the ipad it seems you need to jail break it first.  i'm really liking this app though its much better than mpad by a long shot the ability to separate you library is gold IMHO.  Thanks for your help

If we are talking about the same thing... try this:

tap on the device name at the top of the screen (mine says: BRYSTON BDP-1)

tap in the little gear icon on the right-hand side

tap on the bottom menu option on the little pop-up menu (Clear local image cache)

That will wipe all of the generated thumbnails, reload the MDP database from the BDP and re-build the image thumbnails.

Krutsch

« Reply #35 on: 21 Oct 2016, 04:20 pm »

-Greg

Ah... I finally figured this one out. For WAV tracks, I found that if I remove the total track tag, Soundirok is able to successfully parse the track numbers and everything else. For example, rather than Track 1 of 10, remove the '...of 10' tag and just have the track numbers alone. And, I was able to number them as 1, 2, 3, ... N without needing to add a padding zero for single digit tracks.

Don't know if this also solves the issue where Manic Moose can parse WAV files, but I will try that later.

Krutsch

« Reply #36 on: 21 Oct 2016, 04:32 pm »
Ah... I finally figured this one out. For WAV tracks, I found that if I remove the total track tag, Soundirok is able to successfully parse the track numbers and everything else. For example, rather than Track 1 of 10, remove the '...of 10' tag and just have the track numbers alone. And, I was able to number them as 1, 2, 3, ... N without needing to add a padding zero for single digit tracks.

Don't know if this also solves the issue where Manic Moose can parse WAV files, but I will try that later.

Nope. WAV files still don't appear in Manic Moose, other than browsing by folder.

XMAN

« Reply #37 on: 22 Oct 2016, 02:16 am »
If we are talking about the same thing... try this:

tap on the device name at the top of the screen (mine says: BRYSTON BDP-1)

tap in the little gear icon on the right-hand side

tap on the bottom menu option on the little pop-up menu (Clear local image cache)

That will wipe all of the generated thumbnails, reload the MDP database from the BDP and re-build the image thumbnails.

That doesn't work I think it's my iPad cache and clearing that cache requires jail breaking I understand so with the local cache shut off i have to wait for my art to load every time I open.  I guess I can see if reinstalling the app works.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #38 on: 22 Oct 2016, 10:36 am »
That doesn't work I think it's my iPad cache and clearing that cache requires jail breaking I understand so with the local cache shut off i have to wait for my art to load every time I open.  I guess I can see if reinstalling the app works.

I have found the same on my IPAD - when you first open it it says its loading the data base - close it and open it again right away - seems to work for me on that bases.

james

XMAN

« Reply #39 on: 22 Oct 2016, 01:53 pm »
I have found the same on my IPAD - when you first open it it says its loading the data base - close it and open it again right away - seems to work for me on that bases.

james
yes and if i select "use local cache" on Soundirok i get corrupt image files