VPMS LRC kit instructions?

Hemy

VPMS LRC kit instructions?
« on: 7 Jan 2013, 02:15 pm »
I purchased a VMPS LRC kit from Brian last July and he was unable to send me instructions on how to put it together and we all know now that he cannot. I am looking to see if I can get some help with some instructions (with pictures if possible) from my Audio friends in here. I can understand it a little but not all of it. Looking for help....please!  :oops:

Hemy

Re: VPMS LRC kit instructions?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2013, 08:36 pm »
Is it possible that someone could just take a picture of the inside of their LRC by unscrewing one of the woofers that is infront of where the speaker cable would connect to the back of the speaker. This might give me a good idea of what I need to do. Pictures would tell me a lot....please...anybody!?  :cry:

Hemy

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:28 pm »
While I have received some help and have connected everything it still sounds tinny. Also there are 2 square foam pieces that are in the cabinet. Where should those be placed and do I need to add some sorta polyfil to the cabinet to give it better sound?

Brax

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2013, 02:56 am »
I opened up my LRC to take pictures of the crossover. It was difficult to do with a flash light in one hand and my phone in the other. Just to be clear, my LRC came with a spiral tweeter.

By your photos Hemy, you are missing some componets. You don't have any L pads  and there is a third coil in my speaker, looks like you only have two.

Brax

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2013, 03:04 am »
The two pieces of foam you speak of are probably Black Hole 5 a damping material. It should have a sticky back on one side. This glues down to the inside surface of the cabinet to dampen the internal sound waves inside the speaker. This speaker is a vented enclosure so you do not want to add any Polyfill to the inside of the cabinet, you'll kill any bass that would come out of the port. See this web site

http://www.speakercity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=damping-bh5&Category_Code=damping

Hemy

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:34 pm »
Thanks Brax...you are the only person so far to take pictures for me. Now if I can just make sense of them! What are the L pads and what does that third coil go to? Also if you could possibly map out where all the wires go to I would really appreciate it!  :oops:

Brax

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2013, 01:02 pm »
The L pads are basically a volume level control, there is one for the mids and one for the tweeter. Look them up on Madisound to see what they look like.

I'll try and draw up a diagram but it may be a few days. How do you have them hooked up now?

Hemy

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2013, 02:52 pm »
I do have two L pads....where you could change them from outside of the cabinets. What you would see from the outside of the cabinet near where the speaker wire would be connected. I would have to scan a picture of what I wrote down from Danny of GR Research. I just think its not quite right. I would greatly appreciate a diagram that includes the L Pads and everything so that I might actually be able to enjoy my pricey purchase eventually!

Thanks again!

Brax

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2013, 05:47 pm »

Hemy

« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2013, 07:23 pm »
OMG keep this stuff coming! That could not be more simple!  :thumb:

Hemy

« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2013, 07:32 pm »
My Lpads are not hooked up as no one could seem to incorporate those into everything. So the other L Pad goes to the Mid then and nothing to the drivers? Hooked up similar I assume?

Hemy

« Reply #11 on: 2 Apr 2013, 07:39 pm »
Also could you show me where your foam pads are placed on the inside of your cabinet please!?

Brax

« Reply #12 on: 2 Apr 2013, 09:49 pm »
Hemy,

Just to be clear, there is one L pad on the mid range and one on the tweeter circuit. I suspect this is why you speaker sounds so "Tinny", you have no control over the balance between the tweeter, midrange and woofer. Add the L Pads and adjust as necessary.

The Black hole 5 is mounted on the inside back panel of the speaker in the center. I think it is meant more to keep this panel from resonating.

Hemy

« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2013, 12:19 pm »
I agree with adding the L pads. they are running full blast right now with no control. I can see where the third coil would come into play now. One big one for the drivers, one for the Tweeter and one for the Mid....does that sound right?

Hemy

« Reply #14 on: 11 Apr 2013, 12:22 pm »

So here is what I think the layout should look like. Anyone have comments...please give them to me!  :icon_lol:

Stimpy

« Reply #15 on: 11 Apr 2013, 11:48 pm »
I'm far from an expert, but I'm not sure if the L-Pads wire in after the crossover?  It 'seems' to me that could cause crossover frequency issues, as the crossover would 'see', and be affected by the varying resistance of the L-Pad?  I know some (all?), L-Pads present a fixed resistance, so maybe it's a non issue.  But, when I just checked the crossover schematic, for my Acoustic Research AR-90 speakers, the level switches are wired between the input binding posts, and the crossover...

So here is what I think the layout should look like. Anyone have comments...please give them to me!  :icon_lol:

Brax

« Reply #16 on: 12 Apr 2013, 02:33 am »
The L pads are after the crossovers in my LRC.

The crossover as drawn does have some mistake but I don't have the time right now to open the speaker back up to correct it. Also note that there are two more coild, one on the mids and one on the tweeter circuit.

There are a few more pictures in my gallery.

Hemy

« Reply #17 on: 12 Apr 2013, 01:01 pm »
Ok when you get the time Brax I would really appreciate it...also suggestions where to get the extra parts I need.

Hemy

« Reply #18 on: 6 Nov 2013, 07:46 pm »
Is there anyone else out there able to help with my dilema!?  :oops:

John Casler

« Reply #19 on: 7 Nov 2013, 12:20 am »
I have a Crossover Expert, well versed in all Brian's designs and work who will build your LRC 4u if you send it to him.  He is here in CA.