Force Sub - Theater, Mixed or use left/right outs

quern2

Force Sub - Theater, Mixed or use left/right outs
« on: 4 Feb 2012, 10:32 pm »
Hello all:

I have an Arcam AVR300 that I have to send out to be repaired.  While it is out of the case I'm debating how to set this up when it comes back from being repaired.

Currently I use the LFE out for Home Theater listening and use my pre-outs direct to the sub for my analog listening (i do not use the receivers DSP board so it doesn't send the base through the LFE output).

So my question to you all is as follows:

Should I leave the setup as is... or do I drop the LFE output all the way and tell the receiver I have no sub and then let all bass duties get sent through the left/right pre-outs?

I understand that the sub may go deeper in the bass region if I do this as compared to using my LFE out.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Mike Dzurko

• Facilitator
Re: Force Sub - Theater, Mixed or use left/right outs
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2012, 01:43 am »
There are tradeoffs with either setup, (just like in all aspects of life :)   Essentially, the setup you have, will yield max dynamic capability from the sub. If you change to the second setup, you'll lose a bit of that, but gain some depth. It really depends on your volume level and room size. I'd probably try it the other way just to see what you think. You won't hurt anything, and you might decide you like it better :)

Hello all:

I have an Arcam AVR300 that I have to send out to be repaired.  While it is out of the case I'm debating how to set this up when it comes back from being repaired.

Currently I use the LFE out for Home Theater listening and use my pre-outs direct to the sub for my analog listening (i do not use the receivers DSP board so it doesn't send the base through the LFE output).

So my question to you all is as follows:

Should I leave the setup as is... or do I drop the LFE output all the way and tell the receiver I have no sub and then let all bass duties get sent through the left/right pre-outs?

I understand that the sub may go deeper in the bass region if I do this as compared to using my LFE out.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.