Thinking about getting out of straight tube amp

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: Thinking about getting out of straight tube amp
« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2013, 11:46 pm »
This is not comment whether or not to leave components on 24/7.

Makers of electrolytic capacitors specify considerably longer wet (voltage applied) shelf life vs. dry (no voltage applied).  IIRC, Sprague spec was 15-20 years wet, 10-15 dry.  There are other variables, obviously.   

Regarding one's decision, my understanding is that leaving on 24/7 avoids turn on voltage spike, which might outweigh the heat generated leaving it on.  IMO it's common for modern designs to idle with low current draw. 

Been in a lot of studios, worked at a few, Sausalito Record Plant, Different Fur, but that was mostly in the 70s.  Never saw one turn off anything ever that was used regularly, especially $100k+ boards in early-mid 70s dollars...did see the occasional indicator lamp melt a control board button or two.   

Frank is welcome to tenderly annihilate this post. 

avahifi

« Reply #21 on: 28 Apr 2013, 12:19 am »
Other brands might have trouble with turn on voltage spikes, but AVA amplifiers are protected by inrush surge absorbers to remove this threat.  Our Fet Valve amplifiers even have DC blockers built in.

Capacitor service life?  Maybe that was an issue many long years ago but not with modern parts.  Sure if you left an old style soup can electrolytic capacitor sit turned off for years at a time it would deform and you would need to bring it back up to working voltage slowly.  But we are not suggesting that you leave your equipment turned off for years (unless you hate it), just turn it off when you are not using it and do a very small part to help slow down global warming.

Frank Van Alstine

ricardojoa

« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2013, 04:45 am »
The point here is that ava equipment dont need to warm up and left on for good sound. In that case i find no reason to leave equipment on all the time.

charmerci

« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2013, 06:13 am »
Global warming ...cmon please
we are audiophiles we care not about global warming, this site is about audio not politics

and if we do care about global warming (or cooling as it seems to be) it really has no justification being involved in this website devoted to audio
Trying to present yourself as green to sell gear is shameless

we could feed countless people with the money we waste on audio gear(let's be honest)

Really, who voted you the morality cop on AC?

Why does Frank have to justify what he says on his own thread? It was a comment that wasn't trying to sell gear shamelessly. IF you've bought his gear, then you can keep it off when not using it for whatever reason Frank wants to use.

You took one little comment out of a response and threw it back in his face without even addressing any of his other points.

trebejo

« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2013, 05:04 pm »
Hey, look, we found another guy that cares about his stereo but doesn't want to hear about making things better for a single other human being on the entire planet.

For him and guys like him, I'd like to make two further observations.

1. 2 + 3 = 5
2. Whomever you love on this planet, it's been too long since you told them.

Tube amps? Hey, I had to give mine up due to thermal constraints so sometimes the other senses have an objection that the sense of hearing must hear. The hybrid tube/ss topology is soooo intriguing, that, well, why mess around, now that you've landed here you'll HAVE to try it... you know it's true...

But, you know, here's another approach--vet the manufacturer first. Since you know already that you can live with a mere 35 watts, get an ultravalve... confirm that AVA makes great amps... then dip your toe in the hybrid pool?

I tried both and they were really very close. Frank makes that statement from time to time, that his amps are converging in sonic qualities and it's an interesting process that is unfolding (on the scale of decades, now?) in the tube-ss contrast, as distortion gets systematically eliminated from systems when new designs emerge. So in some sense, it's a bit of a freebie as to where you start, since what you get from the AVA brand nowadays is not so much a topology as a steadfast attack on distortion, slew rates, and all the usual gremlins that remind us that the performer is not in our living room... together with the kind of honesty and ethics that is both normal and rare.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2013, 06:34 pm »
Frank,
Are you saying that UltraVerve and Transcendence 8+ don't require more than a few minutes warm up to sound their best?

I try never to leave audio components left powered up and unattended as a lot of things can happen, none of them very good.

avahifi

« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2013, 08:22 pm »
Correct.  Both our Ultravalve vaccum tube amplifier and T8+ vacuum tube preamplifier only need a minute or so for all the working voltages to come up to normal, tubes conducting normally, and are ready to play just fine.

Note that since we use separate. independent, high current, high voltage power supplies for each plate of each small signal tube, our equipment does not have to wait around all day for a typical RC power supply to decide to start working properly.  :)

Frank

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #27 on: 30 Apr 2013, 03:27 am »
After you get this amp put these tubes in it:
http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_45&products_id=304&osCsid=5f488006d13eddd3ec5cc263a29d7084

This amp would cost you $3250.00 new!  It is $250.00 for the silver faceplate alone.

This is one hell of a bargain! :thumb:

At that price I can't believe it hasn't been snapped up. If I had $1,700 to spare right now I'd grab it for sure..

murf

• Friends don't let friends apex early
« Reply #28 on: 30 Apr 2013, 08:17 pm »
Correct.  Both our Ultravalve vaccum tube amplifier and T8+ vacuum tube preamplifier only need a minute or so for all the working voltages to come up to normal, tubes conducting normally, and are ready to play just fine....  :)

Frank

Hello Audio Experts!
  My opinion on warming up Franks boxes is sort of like what I learned from "The Complete Idiots Guide to the VW Beetle", the original beetle, published in the '60's.  This was the first "Idiots" guide, of which there are now so many.   :roll:

To paraphrase, "When starting from cold, the engine should always be warmed up before driving for about the time it takes to roll one of those funny cigarettes."   :eyebrows:

Always works for me!  Maybe Frank schooled with these guys?   :nono:  He looks like he once had long hair....  :wink:

Murf   :beer:

medium jim

« Reply #29 on: 30 Apr 2013, 08:42 pm »
While Frank may be correct, tubes sound better once they have warmed up for about 20 minutes :thumb:

Jim

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #30 on: 30 Apr 2013, 09:14 pm »
Hello Audio Experts!
  My opinion on warming up Franks boxes is sort of like what I learned from "The Complete Idiots Guide to the VW Beetle", the original beetle, published in the '60's.  This was the first "Idiots" guide, of which there are now so many.   :roll:

Quite true. And books about them, too.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #31 on: 7 May 2013, 11:24 pm »
I have a U70 and I must say I have the subjective impression that it can take 45 minutes or so for my system to sound optimum I am not sure if it is my system or myself that is warming up.  I don't even like to have things plugged as they draw standby current. Think globally, act locally. I have a Monster sts5100 power conditioner. I do believe it improved sound and also allows me to turn everything off with my toe.. 8)