I'm new so forgive me for asking ...

CharlesL

« on: 17 Feb 2004, 12:46 am »
Hello to all,

I'm new to this forum but I have heard that the De Capo's are the best monitor speakers available. So offcourse I am thinking of auditioning them. However I am planning on using them in a 5.1 home theater setup, for listening to DVD-Audio, (multi) SACD, regular stereo cd's and watching DVD movies. For this purpose I am planning to use them on an A/V receiver from Denon (the AVC-A1SR). I have already bought the Denon
DVD-A11 dvd player.

However, reading through the posts I see that most fine people in here are using tube amps with the De Capo's.

So, seriously, my question is can the combination De Capo + Denon work for a 5.1 HT setup or should I look elsewhere.

Thanks for your feedback.

Charles

John Casler

Re: I'm new so forgive me for asking ...
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2004, 01:28 am »
Quote from: CharlesL
Hello to all,

I'm new to this forum but I have heard that the De Capo's are the best monitor speakers available. So offcourse I am thinking of auditioning them. However I am planning on using them in a 5.1 home theater setup, for listening to DVD-Audio, (multi) SACD, regular stereo cd's and watching DVD movies. For this purpose I am planning to use them on an A/V receiver from Denon (the AVC-A1SR). I have already bought the Denon
DVD-A11 dvd player.

However, reading through the posts I see that most ...

Hi Charles,

I (until recently) had a "dual" system.  That is a 2 channel audio and HT system in one.

I also wanted the "tube" sound, particularly  for the 2 channel music.

I might suggest getting a reasonably priced tube pre-amp (I just go the MiniMax but there certainly are others) and a value priced 2 channel SS power amp.

This will allow you to run the analog outs of you DVD player to the tubed preamp and to the power amp for a very clean 2 channel audio system, and then you can take the L&R outputs of the receiver into any aux inputs of the tube preamp and after level matching (remember where the volume level needs to be) you can run any and all 5.1 DVDs and Multichannel music sources to a high degree of success.

This will "ultimately" give you the best 2 channel sound and "as good" (if not better) multichannel music and movies.

Don't forget to run both the 5.1 and "digital" outs from your DVD player to the Denon for the greatest flexibility.

As an after thought, if the Denon allows you to seperate the jumper of the preamp/amp, you could probably just use the "onboard amps" of the Denon initially (looks like their 170wpc).

Also there is a way to use the Denon's bass managemnt system for adding, and integrating a sub to the two channel system if needed.

While it is a little complicated to explain, it is very simple and allows you to add a sub and control its cross-over and "blending" with the 2 channel system to the degree of sophistication of the Bass Managment of the Denon.

CharlesL

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2004, 01:51 am »
Sorry if I did not made myself more clear, for the near future I am not planning to buy a tube amp, I just want a pretty good hometheater which also will do a good job at playing music.

So I am wondering if the De Capo's are a good match in combination with the Denon DVD-A11 player and the (top of the line) Denon AVC-A1SR a/v receiver. If they are I might even want 2 pair of these speakers and a center and a seperate woofer (Rel or MJ Acoustics) for the best possible 5.1 sound.

Info Denon AVC-A1SR

p.s.: I just saw that these models are named differently in the US, they are known as the Denon 5900 dvd player and the Denon AVR-5803.