Bryston BP26/MPS 2 Preamplifier vs BP-20 or BP-25/MPS-2 Power Supply.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

Hi All,

I have been asked to describe the differences between the old BP-20/BP-25 used with the new MPS-2 power supply and the new BP26/MPS-2 preamplifier.

THE DIFFERENCES ARE:

1. Depending on age of the BP-25 the gain stage transistors were change some years ago.

2.The RCA jacks were changed on the BP-26.

3. The grounding system changed on the BP-26.

4. The MPS-2 separates the low voltage and high voltage sections of the preamp

5. The older BP-PSR power supply on the BP-25 was an A/C design the newer MPS-1 was a D/C supply

6. The MPS-2 is a D/C supply

UPGRADE OPTON:

If you return your BP20/BP25 to the factory and purchase the MPS-2 through an authorized Bryston dealer all of the above changes are implemented. The upgrade also includes:

New C-Series Faceplate
New (3) C-Series Knobs
New Back Panel.
New 6 Pin Din Power Connector
New Top
New (4) feet

Cost is $600.00 US (not including MPS-2) plus shipping both ways.

James

dswalker

Hi James
I read this and you have me worried about something
I have a BP20 circa 1995. It came to me with a BP-PT power suppply which I recently changed to an MPS-1
Is this the correct Power Supply to use with this Pre amp?
Would I benefit from the changes you mention here in the upgrade?

Best Regards

Doug

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Hi James
I read this and you have me worried about something
I have a BP20 circa 1995. It came to me with a BP-PT power suppply which I recently changed to an MPS-1
Is this the correct Power Supply to use with this Pre amp?
Would I benefit from the changes you mention here in the upgrade?

Best Regards

Doug

Hi Doug,

Yes the original BP-PT or the newer MPS-1 can be used with older BP20/25's with no issues.

Are you asking if the new MPS-2 power supply would sound better on your current BP20?

james

dswalker

Hi James
Thanks for the confirmation on the MPS1
Yes I was wondering if the new power supply would make any difference to the old BP20
Thanks

Doug

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Hi James
Thanks for the confirmation on the MPS1
Yes I was wondering if the new power supply would make any difference to the old BP20
Thanks

Doug

Hi Doug,

It's questions like that which really put me on the spot but I'll try. 

So much of the answer would depend on the rest of your system.  I really hate things like 'oh ya it blows the older unit away'  because in reality products at our quality level 'evolve' rather than make huge evolutionary 'leaps'. OK I've stalled enough!

The MPS-2 should give you better bass - not necessarily lower just more defined.  Also the soundstage should 'stay put' as the levels are increased and lastly the very top end should be more open and more spacial without any brightness.

james

dswalker

Thanks James.

I think I will try it.
I am running a 4BSST and Linn Ninkas--home made cables

Appreciate your help

Doug

Chicago

Hi All,

I have been asked to describe the differences between the old BP-20/BP-25 used with the new MPS-2 power supply and the new BP26/MPS-2 preamplifier.

THE DIFFERENCES ARE:

1. Depending on age of the BP-25 the gain stage transistors were change some years ago.

2.The RCA jacks were changed on the BP-26.

3. The grounding system changed on the BP-26.

4. The MPS-2 separates the low voltage and high voltage sections of the preamp

5. The older BP-PSR power supply on the BP-25 was an A/C design the newer MPS-1 was a D/C supply

6. The MPS-2 is a D/C supply

UPGRADE OPTON:

If you return your BP20/BP25 to the factory and purchase the MPS-2 through an authorized Bryston dealer all of the above changes are implemented. The upgrade also includes:

New C-Series Faceplate
New (3) C-Series Knobs
New Back Panel.
New 6 Pin Din Power Connector
New Top
New (4) feet

Cost is $600.00 US (not including MPS-2) plus shipping both ways.

James

James,
Is Bryston still providing this service and is the cost about the same. 

Thanks,
Mike

James Tanner

• Facilitator
James,
Is Bryston still providing this service and is the cost about the same. 

Thanks,
Mike

Yes we are.

james

Chicago

Thank you kind sir.

Mike

Toolbox149

Hello.   Thought I would re-start this thread, rather than start something new.

My good ol' Audire preamp has given up the ghost and I think a Bryson BP20 or BP25 would continue and maybe improve on the the warm, crystal clear sound of my Audire. 

I definitely will want to have a BP20 or BP25 - with the MPS-1 power supply ultimately incorporated.  Somehow I get the idea from reading here, that not all BP20s/ BP25s are capable of accepting the MSP-1 upgrade if the Preamp originally came with the BP-PSR power supply.  Is that correct, or will a MPS-1 work with any/all BP20s and BP25s?

PierreB

Hi James,
I'd like to know the retail price in $CAN for the power supply MPS-2.
Also is it possible to upgrade the parts in my BP-25 and I still use my MPS-1.
Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Hi James,
I'd like to know the retail price in $CAN for the power supply MPS-2.
Also is it possible to upgrade the parts in my BP-25 and I still use my MPS-1.
Thanks

Hi

Power Supply is $1860 list.

Email Mike on the upgrade question please. - mpickett@bryston.com

james

PierreB

Thanks

Toolbox149

Pierre;
"Also is it possible to upgrade the parts in my BP-25 and I still use my MPS-1?"

After you talk/email with Mike at Bryston, I would appreciate it if you would post the answer here.  I was wondering if that was possible too.  I've just been asking too many questions.

PierreB

Pierre;
"Also is it possible to upgrade the parts in my BP-25 and I still use my MPS-1?"

After you talk/email with Mike at Bryston, I would appreciate it if you would post the answer here.  I was wondering if that was possible too.  I've just been asking too many questions.

No problem. I send him a message and wait for his response.

XMAN

Hello.   Thought I would re-start this thread, rather than start something new.

My good ol' Audire preamp has given up the ghost and I think a Bryson BP20 or BP25 would continue and maybe improve on the the warm, crystal clear sound of my Audire. 

I definitely will want to have a BP20 or BP25 - with the MPS-1 power supply ultimately incorporated.  Somehow I get the idea from reading here, that not all BP20s/ BP25s are capable of accepting the MSP-1 upgrade if the Preamp originally came with the BP-PSR power supply.  Is that correct, or will a MPS-1 work with any/all BP20s and BP25s?

The older BP20's with the switch on the preamp are not upgradable.  If you unit has the power switch on the power supply it can be upgraded.  This is my understanding.

Toolbox149

Xman;
Thank you for the info.   That is what I needed.  Unless somebody has some additional input, I'll be looking for a power switch on the power supply unit before I buy.  (Of course, it would make things very easy if someone sells a BP20 or BP25 with a MPS-1 already included). 

PierreB

Here is the response from Mike:

"Hi Pierre;

There is very little that can be done to upgrade a BP25 without changing the
power supply.  In fact, the BP26 is very much the same as a BP25, other than
the power supply...

Thanks,

Mike"

I will keep my BP25 with it's MPS-1. For me they soud marvelous. :thumb:
It's a great preamp. No need for more.

Toolbox149

Thanks Pierre!

The info was helpful.  Now all I have to do is wait until someone sells a good quality BP20 pr BP25 at reasonable price, preferably with a MPS-1 already attached.    :drool:

PierreB

Thanks Pierre!

The info was helpful.  Now all I have to do is wait until someone sells a good quality BP20 pr BP25 at reasonable price, preferably with a MPS-1 already attached.    :drool:
Good luck.