Bryston 7B SST Trigger System

RKL2525

Bryston 7B SST Trigger System
« on: 31 Aug 2011, 05:32 pm »
I just ordered earlier today a pair of Bryston 7B SST C series amplifiers to drive a pair of B&W 802N speakers. This will be my first Bryston products so I am reading all the information I can find on these units. I was able to listen to a Bryston stereo amplifier recently with the new 802D speakers and I was amazed how good the Bryston amp sounded with these speakers. Although my speakers are the older 802N I am sure the 7B SST will be an outstanding up grade to my system.

My question involves how to wire the trigger system from my Meridian processor to the 7B SST. The Meridian unit requires a mini mono plug for its 12V triggers as does my other equipment in my system. The Bryston units require bare wire or a spade connector to connect to the trigger connection, based on my understanding. I am thinking I could take one of my current cables and cut the plug from one end and attach the wire to the Bryston unit. Will that work or is there a better way to accomplish the connection?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Ron

SHV

Re: Bryston 7B SST Trigger System
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2011, 05:50 pm »
I am using 7B SSTs to drive B&W 802s.  The 7Bs are daisy chained, in my case with 2 other Bryston amps.  The trigger connectors accept small gauge bare wire which are held in place by small screws.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2011, 05:50 pm »
I just ordered earlier today a pair of Bryston 7B SST C series amplifiers to drive a pair of B&W 802N speakers. This will be my first Bryston products so I am reading all the information I can find on these units. I was able to listen to a Bryston stereo amplifier recently with the new 802D speakers and I was amazed how good the Bryston amp sounded with these speakers. Although my speakers are the older 802N I am sure the 7B SST will be an outstanding up grade to my system.

My question involves how to wire the trigger system from my Meridian processor to the 7B SST. The Meridian unit requires a mini mono plug for its 12V triggers as does my other equipment in my system. The Bryston units require bare wire or a spade connector to connect to the trigger connection, based on my understanding. I am thinking I could take one of my current cables and cut the plug from one end and attach the wire to the Bryston unit. Will that work or is there a better way to accomplish the connection?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Welcome to Bryston :thumb:

I believe cutting the cable will work as you describe but email Mike Pickett at Bryston to be sure. mpickett@bryston.com

james

RKL2525

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2011, 06:49 pm »
Thanks for the information. Now the wait until my new amps arrive.

Ron

Mad Mr H

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2011, 07:51 pm »
Hi,

The SST series has an in/out remote trigger system.

The "OUT" feeds onto the next amp and is a slight delay to reduce inrush current as the amps power up.

12v is fine (5v also works).

MAKE SURE you REMOVE power from your Meridian and other items in the remote trigger line THEN bare the wires and connect to the Bryston, the connector pulls out from the Bryston for easy cable install.

The settings on the rear of the amp should be "auto" and "remote" (Switches by remote input).

ALSO, Power switch "ON" on rear of amp, then remote power on - DONT PANIC!!!! If the amp does not fire up.........use the power switch on the front. Once this has been done once it will always work on the remote trigger.

Check with Mike.

Andy.

Rod_S

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2011, 12:18 pm »
... the connector pulls out from the Bryston for easy cable install....

Wow, I did not know that. That will come in handy in the future, I have always cursed trying to install the wire ends as my amps are in my rack with the backs typically obscured by the cables from the other gear and oh so little room to move behind all that stuff.

Thanks

Mad Mr H

« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2011, 07:24 pm »
Its fixed in the ST series - not all ST had the delay option, later versions did.

I think the 14BST has removable connector it was a very late ST / Early SST design.

The SST / SSTC series are removable

The SST2 - I have avoided the temptation so far!

I have had 30+ Bryston amps of my own and i'm an Audio / Video install / setup engineer so my info is from first hand use - Hope I remember it all correctly!

If not  :guns: me !

M3 EuroLTW

Re: Bryston 7B SST Trigger System. Plug equivalent?
« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2017, 02:44 pm »
Rather than start a new thread....

Bryston part: CO-110A-11104

Is the only source from Bryston, or, is this a relatively common part we can find from supply houses.

I have a used 9B SST that came without the plug.  An older legacy (Thank you HDMI!) Lexicon MC8 uses a different, and easy to find plug, but I've not seen reference to a part number or company or description for this Bryston plug.

M3 EuroLTW

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2017, 07:52 pm »
I think the key is how the pins are centered. I sent an email into Bryston, but didn't really get a response. It was an older email I may have used to (?) Mike Pickett if I recall?

I bet these are centered 3.8mm, as are common on pcb.  If so, I think there are several options for screw secured leads like the factory bit.

M3 EuroLTW

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2017, 06:38 pm »
Well, these work great. I bought 3 of them, and I'm all set. Digi-Key part number

227-11360-ND

It is a snug fit, but secure, and seems to match up and fit perfectly. Digi-Key has a great search function. I believe  I started with connectors, 4 pin, terminal block, 3.81 centered and screw type... quickly several selections became apparent, and some of them had different ways to be secured beyond friction, so it was narrowed down pretty quickly.

I'm sure there is a similar version in Black if that is your choice but know at least that this plug, from Phoenix in green does work properly.

Alex.