internet radio tuner / streaming: questions & your opinions

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
I want to start listening to internet radio through my home stereo setup.  Not a table top device,  a component box that would go in my stereo rack similar to a traditional FM tuner.  I don't need to stream music from a harddrive or anything,  just internet radio off the web.  I have a wireless router at home so would prefer wireless but it doesn't have to be.  I am aware that companies like Marantz, Denon, Cambridge Audio, NAD, Yamaha, Rotel, etc. etc. have this type of component.  Other than price,  how can I decide what I want?  I don't know what to look for.  Does anyone have any experience with these companies' models,  or offer any opinions?  I would prefer "easy to use" since I'm a dinosaur  :D

Phil A

Re: internet radio tuner / streaming: questions & your opinions
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2013, 01:32 am »
I can't tell you how each of them operate.  From ones like this - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDNP720AE/DENON-DNP-720AE-Network-Audio-Player-Radio-Tuner-Ipod-Airplay/1.html#!specifications   they seem a bit pricey just to get internet radio.  The receivers I have with them I enter the URL of the  internet radio station on the set-up menu.  The instruction also say on at least one of them that you can set them up over your network but from a quick try or two, I have not been able to get that to work.  My favorite, and what turned me on to internet radio (like Linn's stations, typically listen to their Jazz station at 320kps) is the now discontinued Squeezebox Touch.  It was $300 list when it was a current model and I got it with a short live coupon for $180 including shipping and hooked it up to my DAC.  You could play internet radio without a PC and the Squeezebox software on the PC was easy to set-up and you could play files from a music library via the device.  Not currently using mine but will again after a move.  An upgraded power supply for it made a nice difference too.  My question would be do you have a laptop or old computer.  If so there are lots of things like - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186171&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-USB+Converters-_-N82E16812186171&gclid=CNy6jbSBzLgCFYSf4AodAhMAoQ  and you could just to the URL.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2013, 01:42 am »
There's also more pricey stuff if you're looking for something like - http://www.internetradiotuner.net/internet-radio-tuners.htm

wilbert-vanbakel

• Photoshopped Smile
    • On Facebook
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2013, 03:44 am »
Other than price,  how can I decide what I want?
What is your definition of "internet radio"?

Would you listen to services like https://www.spotify.com/, https://mog.com/ or http://www.pandora.com/ or are you content with just regular broadcasting over internet, as offered by http://tunein.com/?

grsimmon

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2013, 05:29 am »
I have a Mac laptop,  but don't plan on using it much for music listening (I don't utilize downloads or store music on any computer at this time).  I see that Marantz now has a network streaming component as part of their Reference line that has retail around $3,500 USD  - wow.   So that and the Magnum Dynalab internet tuners are more than I want to spend.  But ones like that Denon for around $300 would be fine. 

My definition of internet radio?  Ha ha I'm so late to this party that I don't even know....maybe services like Spotify / Pandora,  as well as my own surfing/searching.   Why do you ask - meaning, would that narrow down which units I should be looking at? 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2013, 06:04 am »
I think Phil really has identified the best one for the money with that Denon. The marantz na7004 would set you back $400 also from accessories4less and unless you plan to use it as DAC or general media server (which it sounds like you won't) then its not worth spending the extra money. Also it doesn't have wifi.

The only less expensive option that's worth considering is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-3-5-Inch-Display-GDI-IRC6000/dp/B004YI9NTS/ref=zg_bs_3236446011_1

My temptation though would be to spend the extra money and get the Denon, though honestly the grace has more bang for the buck

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2013, 09:54 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
How about www.sangean.usa
They have a few affordable Internet Radio.

Guy 13

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2013, 12:00 pm »
If all you want is to stream internet music have you considered connecting your iPhone, iTouch, or iPad (which I don't own  :oops: ) into your stereo (add a DAC/dock like Pure i20 for $110 USD for better sound/charging) or add Apple Express ($100 USD) and use an iPhone, iTouch, or iPad for control gain access to whatever music files you have in your Mac?

jarcher,

The Grace Mondo is basically an internet/wireless clock radio, with RCA outputs (which I assume would defeat it's own speaker), but lacks ALAC.  The obvious alternative is the Logitech UE (another internet/wireless clock radio) which seems to support ALAC but lacks RCA outputs.  Details on either is frustratingly lacking (that I consider essential for my proposed 'non-standard' application).  Either might be just the ticket.

Guy,

The closest I found at Sangean was a 5 year old (ancient technology) streamer that accepted limited music file formats, has a terrible manual, and had a street price of $240 USD (more than the newer/better Mondo/Logitech UE).

Guy 13

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2013, 12:30 pm »
Hi JLM and all Audio Circle members.
By trying to help, I learn something.
Thanks.
When I get back to Canada and I am settle in a new apartment,
I will probably buy the Grace Mondo,
because you can listen to music with it's built in speaker (Ambiance music)
or plug it to my stereo sound system via the RCA output jacks.
I am not too concern about sound quality, because for me the FM
(Conventional transmitter or Internet) is mostly for soft classical music.
Of course the Internet Radio offer lots more choice and it's free and also sometimes, it's commercial free.

Guy 13

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2013, 02:14 pm »
The most versatile solution is a tablet or computer. The streaming internet radio market continues to evolve as providers attempt to find an appropriate business model. Yesterday a station may have been streaming a standard format that was easily played by an internet streaming unit, today they may be using some sort of embedded technology (flash for example) that is not playable by a streaming device, and tomorrow who knows.

The most robust solution IMHO is to use a small form factor computer and control it with a tablet, assuming you have a wireless network at home. Tablets don't do flash so just having a tablet may or may not be a problem for you.

You could get a tablet and use a wire or Bluetooth to connect it to your system. Download Tunein Radio, Spotify, etc. and your are good to go.

The Grace unit that Guy suggested looks like a simple solution too!

JLM

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2013, 05:14 pm »

The most robust solution IMHO is to use a small form factor computer and control it with a tablet, assuming you have a wireless network at home. Tablets don't do flash so just having a tablet may or may not be a problem for you.

Yes, but adds complexity and significant cost.  For a secondary system (mine would be for very casual, certainly not everyday use by the entire family) a Mondo type device (or iDevice with or without Airport Express is close to ideal). 

Sonos is another option, but for $400 (including Bridge plus powered/active speakers or $500 to go passive with their amplified version) you can get a nicer all-in-one wireless/internet streamer, like the Peachtree Audio DeepBlue ($400 USD).  Olive One looks slick (if it's ever launched) but its even more money.  Raspberry is cheaper, but not for luddites (like me  :oops: ).  The old Squeeze Box Duet and Touch were on the right track, just didn't get the glitchy software figured out until it was too late (according to their accountants).

The ideal solution IMO is something like the Denon Ceol Piccolo (less than half width size, 65 wpc/8 ohms, 24/192 DAC, internet/wireless, AirPlay/DLNA support, analog/optical/ethernet/USB inputs,  iDevice dock,  banana style speaker connections, headphone output, subwoofer output, good choice of compatible file formats, large display with remote, iOS control app, alarm clock, etc.) or Denon Ceol RCD-N8 (similar, older design, slightly bigger with CD drive).  Cost for all that is $500 - 600 USD.
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2013, 12:51 am by JLM »

Doublej

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2013, 10:41 pm »
Yes, but adds complexity and significant cost.  For a secondary system (mine would be for very casual, certainly not everyday use by the entire family) a Mondo type device (or iDevice with or without Airport Express is close to ideal). 

Sonos is another option, but for $400 (including Bridge plus powered/active speakers or $500 to go passive with their amplified version) you can get a nicer all-in-one wireless/internet streamer, like the Peachtree Audio DeepBlue ($400 USD).  Olive One looks slick (if it's ever launched) but its even more money.  Raspberry is cheaper, but not for luddites (like me  :oops: ).  The old Squeeze Box Duet and Touch were on the right track, just didn't get the glitchy software figured out until it was too late (according to their accountants).

The ideal solution IMO is something like the Denon Ceol RCD-N8 (half width size, 65 wpc/8 ohms, 24/192 DAC, internet/wireless, CD drive, AirPlay/DLNA support, analog/optical/ethernet/USB inputs,  iDevice dock,  banana style speaker connections, headphone output, subwoofer output, good choice of compatible file formats, large display with remote, iOS control app, alarm clock, etc.) or Denon Ceol Piccolo (same but smaller yet and no CD drive).  Cost for all that is $500 - 600 USD.

Huh?

Computer plus tablet or smartphone is as easy and similarly priced to Sonos or Peachtree which need a tablet or smartphone as well. Computer plus tablet or smartphone is more versatile than Sonos or Peachtree.

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2013, 12:49 am »
Huh?

Computer plus tablet or smartphone is as easy and similarly priced to Sonos or Peachtree which need a tablet or smartphone as well. Computer plus tablet or smartphone is more versatile than Sonos or Peachtree.

For mid-fi applications, the gold standard for accessing your saved music plus internet streaming in my mind is Apple Express with iDevice for control (starting at $300 USD total).  Hard to do better for less (but the Mondo is a viable, lower cost, small form factor option).  I agree that the computer could be more versatile (if needed), but doesn't include a DAC and computers the price of a Sonos are bulky (unless you're getting geeky on me with that 'small form factor computer' comment, remember I'm a luddite so I can't be expected to build a Raspberry sort of thing or anything that doesn't include a screen, keyboard, and mouse).
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2013, 10:08 am by JLM »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2013, 05:22 am »
The OP had a specific form factor in mind : "a component box that would go in my stereo rack similar to a traditional FM tuner."  Hence the Denon DNP 720 AE seemingly being the closest to that.  I suggested the Grace because even though it has a speaker & therefore seems to be more like a "table top device" he said he didn't want, it's still compact & has RCA out's to potentially fit on a rack.  The UE Radio I discarded simply because I don't like the the mini jack output vs RCAs, and having seen logitech kill squeezebox, was just wondering how long they do the same to the UE Radio & stop supporting it.

As to his other question about "what should I be looking for" : there are so many ways to "skin the cat", but I would be looking for something simple that lets me connect to the largest providers, which is what 90% of people connect to 90% of the time.  For that purpose I think The Grace works well (bigger screens are easier to navigate as well), particularly for the price. 

The other option I would suggest is also a smart phone, tablet or i-device that has some way to wireless transmit music to some other box that can connect to a stereo.  That could be an ipod / iphone / ipad to an airport express or apple tv, or in the non-Apple world, you could stream from those devices or an android device using the new $35 Google Chromecast so long as you have an HDMI input jack on the other to plug it into (whether a tv or receiver).  Since Chromecast streams from the Google Chrome browser, anything in theory you can access / run from their web browser from whatever device should be able to stream.  I think there's still a several week wait time on the Chromcast though. Still : a $100 - $200 tablet + the $35 Chromecast : a compelling and economic alternative.

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jul 2013, 01:27 pm »
I've been using a now discontinued Squeezebox Touch for a while, but needed a second unit for my shop area.

Below is a link to my limited, but so far satisfying experience with the Denon 720.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118124.0

John Casler

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul 2013, 04:12 pm »
If you have a monitor screen, then the Popcorn Hour A-400 will give you great Internet Radio, plus many other options similar to the SqueezeBox functions.

POPCORN HOUR A-400

Priced at $249

grsimmon

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2013, 05:06 pm »
I ended up getting the Marantz NA7004 on sale for $400 from MusicDirect.   Build quality,  ease of use,  appearance, and of course sound quality are all nice.  So far I've been using it for classical music stations around the world,  and podcasts of old-time "Suspense"  radio from the 1940's.  You can use the onboard DAC or feed it to yours.  Has headphone out on the front (nice!).  It's easy to tell that this unit will take up a long-term position in my system, unless I get upgrade-itis and go for a Magnum Dynalab or upscale Marantz.  To any fellow dinosaurs out there:  move beyond your local FM,  internet radio is fun, free, and has unbelievable selection - and sound quality is excellent on many, many internet stations. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2013, 07:11 pm »
I like KUWL-FM (they haves great 256K stream) and the Beeb (320K AAC, best sound out there), along with this n' that here n' there.