JVC HA-S400 Headphones- the $27 wonder?

lokie

Re: JVC HA-S400 Headphones- the $27 wonder?
« Reply #40 on: 22 Dec 2012, 02:41 pm »
I might of missed it but where are you finding these for $27?

Exactly what I've been keeping an eye out for,- Thanks

charmerci

« Reply #41 on: 22 Dec 2012, 03:53 pm »
I might of missed it but where are you finding these for $27?

Exactly what I've been keeping an eye out for,- Thanks

It's been mentioned 7 times with two links in 2 pages - so think BIG, BIG, BIG on-line retailer.

SET Man

« Reply #42 on: 24 Dec 2012, 04:05 am »
Hey!

Hmmm... interesting. Once in a while I would use headphone outside. I recently bought a AKG K77 but they turn out to be a bit cumbersome outdoor, not so bad but the biggest problem I have with them is the thing make noise while I'm walking! They are actually go OK at home. I have to admit I do like they style though.

So, my question to you guys who already have the JVC is are they quite when you are walking or move around?

To bad I've already got the AKG before this thread started.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

PMAT

« Reply #43 on: 26 Dec 2012, 03:57 am »
Hmmmmm. After about a 3 hour break-in. I can say - I haven't heard many $25 headphones so I'm sure that they are one of the best but I think that they just good bargain headphones. They are pleasant and don't do anything bad but they are just that - $27 headphones. The overall high end seem to be recessed and the mid-bass is kind of boomy, dominating the overall frequencies too much for my tastes.

Maybe I think differently of them later but that's my first impression.

I bought two pair at Amazon for the $27 mentioned. The quote above seemed to sum it up for me as well, BUT, I have loaded an Equalizer app on my I-phone from Denon. This is a fabulous Parametric EQ and it's free! After a little adjustment the offending problems were gone and now they sound way, way better. When I first got them I burned them in for three hours. I have never had to "burn" anything before but what the heck. After some critical listening I was making excuses for them. Now being "equalized" I don't need to make excuses anymore. For those interested in the app just go to the app store on your phone and type audio equalizer and look for the Denon offering. I tried a couple others but this one is definitely better and WAY cool to use. Now I really hope some purist doesn't want to use EQ on a $27 set of cans :eyebrows:

charmerci

« Reply #44 on: 29 Dec 2012, 06:39 pm »
I bought two pair at Amazon for the $27 mentioned. The quote above seemed to sum it up for me as well, BUT, I have loaded an Equalizer app on my I-phone from Denon. This is a fabulous Parametric EQ and it's free! After a little adjustment the offending problems were gone and now they sound way, way better. When I first got them I burned them in for three hours. I have never had to "burn" anything before but what the heck. After some critical listening I was making excuses for them. Now being "equalized" I don't need to make excuses anymore. For those interested in the app just go to the app store on your phone and type audio equalizer and look for the Denon offering. I tried a couple others but this one is definitely better and WAY cool to use. Now I really hope some purist doesn't want to use EQ on a $27 set of cans :eyebrows:

I just did the "tp mod".* As the most critical person on this thread, I can say that you have to do it - even for your friends and as gifts! The headphones are still bass heavy but it takes away a lot of the boominess and the highs come forward more. (Remember, I said the highs were recessed.) Much more listenable. Thanks for the link, randytsuch!

(*Only I used old cotton sock material instead - link on top of p. 2. The only thing that took me a while to figure out was that one has to pull the pads out by grabbing them from their base and pulling them away from center.)

lcrim

« Reply #45 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:13 am »
Well I did the tape mod (sealing the many holes around the outside of the phones) and the q-tips mod and the recessed mids and highs are no longer an issue.  I have been splitting time between my two systems, the living room w/ the MF X-Cans V2 and the AKG Q701 and the bedroom w/ the AudioEngine D-1 w/ the modded JVC 400s and each is quality but bring different strengths to the dance.  The sources are equal so I've gotten much closer to music I knew pretty well before but I'm hearing different nuances now that I never got w/ speakers.  This is pretty cool.
Larry

Nick77

« Reply #46 on: 31 Dec 2012, 12:04 pm »
I have a pair on the way, looking forward to trying these budget wonders. One question though, after burn in does the q-tip mod pretty much sum up the best results for these? Thanks for the heads up Ed!  :wink:

PeteG

« Reply #47 on: 31 Dec 2012, 04:13 pm »
Have a pair coming too (HA-S400), needed an inexpensive pair when I’m out and about.

funkmonkey

« Reply #48 on: 31 Dec 2012, 08:10 pm »
okay I've been listening to these since Christmas day...   a variety of music, with no amp directly out of my iPod (5.5G), Nano (6G), and streaming Netflix movies via iPad.  I don't have any "high end" headphones to compare to, but a pair of Yuin PK2s that in spite of having a couple pair of more expensive IEMs have been my go to buds for a few years now.  My Salk HT3s are really the gold standard for me, and I haven't heard any headphones that even come close to that (though I would seriously consider buying a pair if I ever found them).  All that said, these JVCs sound pretty darn good!  Comfortable to wear, too.

The cautionary tales about "let them stretch out a bit," are true.  I played pink noise for about an hour and a half before I first gave them a listen...  they sounded congested, and had me thinking: "well, at least I only wasted $27."  But I stuck with it, and kept listening to music through them for a little while, then streamed a movie that night.  Next morning I diligently put the new cans on again and noted that they had opened up a bit.  I thought that it was the recording, at first, and kept waiting to hear them sound muted and muddy again...  didn't happen.  True they are a little boomy in the bass, and I think I will try to damp them with the TP mod (I like the chunk of old sock idea)  :thumb:

Overall they are a bargain (IMO)  by no means perfect, but I am certainly enjoying them.  Thanks to the OP for the tip off.

CHEERS   :beer:

-Greg

ajzepp

« Reply #49 on: 31 Dec 2012, 08:49 pm »

they sounded congested, and had me thinking: "well, at least I only wasted $27."  But I stuck with it, and kept listening to music through them for a little while, then streamed a movie that night.  Next morning I diligently put the new cans on again and noted that they had opened up a bit.  I thought that it was the recording, at first, and kept waiting to hear them sound muted and muddy again...  didn't happen.

That's exactly the same thought I had...I was sitting there waiting for that terrible low end I had heard right out of the box, and I thought it was the recording, too. Then after a few tracks it just hit me that all of a sudden they sounded great.

charmerci

« Reply #50 on: 1 Jan 2013, 02:08 am »
  True they are a little boomy in the bass, and I think I will try to damp them with the TP mod (I like the chunk of old sock idea)  :thumb:

-Greg

I was looking at randytsuch's previous post link for the tape mod -

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-get-your-pic-idea-ready-for-the-21st-check-s500-thread-for-details/555#post_8834758

People said that it helped. Looking at the photos, I realized that much of the trouble with these phones (stock) is the vibration of the plastic holders of the speakers. I haven't had time yet (day after tomorrow) but what I am going to is take them apart again. I will use duct tape and cover the inside completely (keeping the sock material there as I've already done) and then cover as much of that tape mod area as possible to eliminate the vibrations of the plastic.

viggen

« Reply #51 on: 1 Jan 2013, 04:30 am »
I left JVC a couple of years ago.  While I was there, I got tons of freebie headphones from the accessories manager.  One of my favorites was the HA-S650.  I never heard the HA-S400.  But, if they are similar, the HA-S400 must be a great bargain.   I still use the cheapie Gumy headphones when I am in my cubicle.  Those are bargains too.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #52 on: 1 Jan 2013, 03:25 pm »

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-get-your-pic-idea-ready-for-the-21st-check-s500-thread-for-details/555#post_8834758

People said that it helped. Looking at the photos, I realized that much of the trouble with these phones (stock) is the vibration of the plastic holders of the speakers. I haven't had time yet (day after tomorrow) but what I am going to is take them apart again. I will use duct tape and cover the inside completely (keeping the sock material there as I've already done) and then cover as much of that tape mod area as possible to eliminate the vibrations of the plastic.
Great idea!!!!! Let us know please :thumb:

randytsuch

« Reply #53 on: 1 Jan 2013, 04:57 pm »

People spent a lot of time eliminating vibration with the Fostex headphones.  I used dynamat.  It is expensive, but you don't need much, and it is hard to remove if you don't like it, but these are cheap enough to experiment if you are brave. 

There are other constrained layer damping materials you can try too.  I have also used earthquake putty to add mass and dampen things, plasticine or blu tak are similar materials.

BTW, you have have not tried these yet, they are silly good for the money.  Give them a little while to break in (IMHO), I think they had too much bass at first but that got better after a couple of days.

I am playing with different pads now, but have been sidetracked by other projects.

Randy

Nick77

« Reply #54 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:03 pm »
Waiting for a pair to arrive, i have some Dynamat laying around. How much did you use?

randytsuch

« Reply #55 on: 2 Jan 2013, 07:59 pm »
Waiting for a pair to arrive, i have some Dynamat laying around. How much did you use?

I used the Dynamat on a set of Foxtex HPs last year, basically went all around the driver.

For these, looks like you would have to get to the driver side of the mounting plate and put it back there.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #56 on: 2 Jan 2013, 10:19 pm »
Nick77 I highly suggest you listen to them for awhile before slapping things on and off, seriously these change a lot over time, even longer then I previously stated I think, a good couple days run in should do it. But listen for awhile especially if your sorta new which I don't know but once you start screwing around with the area around the drivers, its hard to fix. I saw a ton of guys over do the Grado mods I was showing here and reading about on head-fi back a year or so ago, maybe 2 years ago now. Do the other stuff first, I always do the stuff I ca undo ad only do permanent stuff if I don't think I can live with them or they are free cans. Just a thought!!! :thumb:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #57 on: 2 Jan 2013, 10:29 pm »
I'll be taking these on a business trip with 6 airplane flights and plenty of hotel time.  I'll let you know how they travel.  I do like the way they fold down.  I'm still waiting for them to be fully broken in.  I would agree that they are very fast and articulate.  The bass right now is a little constrained.  My complaint so far is the way they fit me.  Is it just me or does everyone have ears too big for these.  I keep having to adjust them to fit.  Perhaps that too is a matter of breakin time. 

randytsuch

« Reply #58 on: 2 Jan 2013, 11:24 pm »
Nick77 I highly suggest you listen to them for awhile before slapping things on and off, seriously these change a lot over time, even longer then I previously stated I think, a good couple days run in should do it.

Or buy another one, mod one and compare to the stock one and the post the results  :D

Cheeseboy

« Reply #59 on: 3 Jan 2013, 12:02 am »
Where are you applying the dynamat?