Recommended upgrades to a Cary Audio SLI 80

chgolatin2

Recommended upgrades to a Cary Audio SLI 80
« on: 12 Nov 2015, 09:54 pm »
Looking to improve my Cary audio SLI 80, looking for better bass response, a better soundstage. I want to upgrade modify the internals of this unit, it doesn't sound bad but I understand that by changing caps, etc the unit could sound better.  So recommendations would be greatly appreciate~

Thanks

dminches

Re: Recommended upgrades to a Cary Audio SLI 80
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2015, 10:05 pm »
What tubes are you using now?

chgolatin2

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2015, 01:16 pm »
What tubes are you using now?
[/quote

Russian tubes electro harmonix, tubes work fine but I want to do something internally. Cary Audio contacted me about their services and upgrading the amp, but at $1200 to $1400 doesn't seem like a cheap endeavor;(

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2015, 01:49 pm »
You really need to try other tubes before spending any money on internal upgrades.  I can promise you that replacing the 6SN7s with some nice NOS tubes will make a huge difference.  The drivers you are using do not sound very good at all.  For just $100-$150 you could make a significant improvement of the sound.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2015, 02:04 pm »
Yep. EH tubes are not the best sounding. Check out this long thread for more options, including mods:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/546064/cary-audio-sli-80-owners-unite

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2015, 03:29 pm »
+1 on tubes. That's the best bang for the buck. SLI-80 was my first hifi amp. I kept the SED 6550Cs it came with since those were the best production tubes available back then. But I upgraded the 6922 to 1970s Matsushita and I upgraded the sovtek 6SN7s to some nice vintage Sylvania or RCA, iirc. I also changed the Ruby tubes coke bottle rectifiers which flashed all the time to Sylvania NOS. It was an incredible sound. My friend was QC at Cary, he says the stock caps and parts are pretty good in there. The paper-in-oil cap upgrade they offer would make a warmer sound, I don't prefer that. The amp is already warm enough with vintage 6SN7s.

Genalex Gold Lion KT-88s or Shuguang Black Treasure KT-88 would be my first choices for current production power tubes.

Later on I got some autoformers from Anticable.com because my speakers had low impedance dip in the bass. That improved the bass and overall sound a lot.

chgolatin2

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2015, 01:50 pm »
+1 on tubes. That's the best bang for the buck. SLI-80 was my first hifi amp. I kept the SED 6550Cs it came with since those were the best production tubes available back then. But I upgraded the 6922 to 1970s Matsushita and I upgraded the sovtek 6SN7s to some nice vintage Sylvania or RCA, iirc. I also changed the Ruby tubes coke bottle rectifiers which flashed all the time to Sylvania NOS. It was an incredible sound. My friend was QC at Cary, he says the stock caps and parts are pretty good in there. The paper-in-oil cap upgrade they offer would make a warmer sound, I don't prefer that. The amp is already warm enough with vintage 6SN7s.

Genalex Gold Lion KT-88s or Shuguang Black Treasure KT-88 would be my first choices for current production power tubes.

Later on I got some autoformers from Anticable.com because my speakers had low impedance dip in the bass. That improved the bass and overall sound a lot.

Thanks for the recommendations, for some reason I always try to improve what I already have with better
Internal components.  I'm just anal like that but I'm gonna start to play with some tube swapping and see where that takes me.  I contacted Cary and they offered to mod my tube amp, but it wasn't a cheap proposition. Something to $1300 or so to get it done...

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2015, 02:19 pm »
I'll ask him what mods he reccomends.

Escott1377

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2015, 04:35 pm »
The SLI80 was my 1st tube piece that I owned.  I didn't know much about tube rolling at the time, but have a good bit of experience since then.

I 2nd the notion about replacing the 6SN7's w/ some nice NOS RCA's.  I bout a pair from EBay for less than $30.

I also like the 6N23P as a sub for the 6922, NOS on EBay from Russia.

These are relatively inexpensive swaps - I the you could impact your sound quickly for a lot less than the Cary factory option.

Good luck with it - tube collecting / rolling has become a favorite hobby of mine.

mca

« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2015, 04:54 pm »
What is the rest of your system?

chgolatin2

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2015, 12:16 am »
What is the rest of your system?

Technics SL1200MK2 and SL1600MK2, DH labs speaker cables, interconnects and power cord, Von schweikert VR 2 speakers. At times I switch my speakers to JBL L50 or L26 and at times I go with bookshelf speakers PSB 25... Varies...

I also have a Cambridge Audio 840C CD player and a Ideco from peach tree audio...

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2015, 02:20 am »
My friend said later models used Solen coupling caps. If that's what you have you will definitely appreciate the upgrade to better caps.

Flac2Dac

« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2017, 09:16 pm »
Reviving an oldie thread.

After spending about 10 years, on a pretty constant merry-go-round of revolving kit; I've decided to "settle-down", and simplify.

Not that I haven't, waffled between seps and IAs...tubes, and all classes of SS...in the past; but I wasn't planning to go tube IA, in this quest. The idea...was no futzing; turn it on, play and enjoy music...and stop listening to gear.

But...the audiophile impulse, dies hard; and I jumped at a never-tried, Cary SLI-80 Signature. The thing was practically new, and the price was right; and it's gorgeous, visually. However...it's obviously, a futzer's delight; 10 tubes to roll...caps and other tweaks abound.

I'll read that head-fi thread, from earlier in the topic; but I always wanted to revive the thread...for some initial thoughts and advice.

FTR...I'll be coming from an Auralic Aries Mini, feeding Mytek Brooklyn (source staying); into a Backert Labs Rhumba 1.2 (will miss dearly), and Adcom GFA-565SE...driving PMC Twenty-5 23s.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2017, 09:35 pm »
Driver tube (6SN7) will make the biggest difference in sound.  I really like the Sylvania 6SN7's from the 60's.  For capacitor upgrades you can't really do better than the Jupiter Copper Foil in Paper/Wax for input/output caps.  Power Supply caps make less of a difference, IME.  They do make a difference, just a lot less than input or output caps. 

Flac2Dac

« Reply #14 on: 15 Oct 2017, 09:44 pm »
Driver tube (6SN7) will make the biggest difference in sound.  I really like the Sylvania 6SN7's from the 60's.  For capacitor upgrades you can't really do better than the Jupiter Copper Foil in Paper/Wax for input/output caps.  Power Supply caps make less of a difference, IME.  They do make a difference, just a lot less than input or output caps.

Excellent! Thanks Tyson.

Where the best place, to get any cap work done...when the time is right?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2017, 12:58 am »
I'd post a request in the DIY circle here on AC.  I wish I could be more help, but I've been doing my own cap swapping since I learned to solder a few years ago.

Flac2Dac

« Reply #16 on: 2 Nov 2017, 07:41 pm »

Just received the amp, and have only listened for a short while.

Under normal circumstances...I wouldn't look, to start rolling, until I had a feel for the stock tubes. However...TubeDepot dropped me this email, on a sale; and I'm just wondering...if these inexpensive NOS 5U4s, are worth the low price, or likely a waste of money (even if it is only $35)?

mkane

« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2017, 10:09 pm »
Rectifier tubes won't make much of a difference.

Flac2Dac

« Reply #18 on: 3 Nov 2017, 02:19 am »
Rectifier tubes won't make much of a difference.

OK; thanks for weighing in.

sfox7076

« Reply #19 on: 3 Nov 2017, 03:16 am »
Rectifiers can matter a lot.  Depends on the circuit. But that said, that is too $ for that tube. It’s a$20 tube on a good day. 5U4gb are all over the place.