Who has tried HiFi Tuning fuses in their Bryston amps?

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Re: Who has tried HiFi Tuning fuses in their Bryston amps?
« Reply #100 on: 4 Jul 2012, 04:32 pm »
Hi James, I cannot find 160mA but can I use a 125mA? Will it blow immediately??

It most likely will work for about 0.002 seconds. Furutech fuses react EXTREMELY fast, 250 mA would be the one to use here.

werd

« Reply #101 on: 4 Jul 2012, 10:25 pm »
Ok this is my .25c on it. I am not for it or against it. After reading many other threads including this one i still am worried about the fuses failing but I digress. My real point is, you have to ask yourself why am I buying this. Changing fuses before the power supply sounds like an individual is trying to improve the response characteristic of the amp. I personally don't think this is necessary with Bryston amps using a Bit or newer 14sst2 and up models. Perhaps if you were using an older 4B into the wall it might help.

There are many other ways also to get more response from a component including outlets and cabling.

Too much of one thing can be bad I have found. Your system maybe as responsive as it can be already. Adding more responsive power to a system can cause treble glare and faster clipping in the higher regions. Changing out a fuse just may end up having to pull back in another area like cabling or volume to compensate.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #102 on: 4 Jul 2012, 10:34 pm »
I didn't think we accepted argent Canadian. :green:

Doc

srb

« Reply #103 on: 5 Jul 2012, 12:30 am »
Hi James, I cannot find 160mA but can I use a 125mA? Will it blow immediately??

It most likely will work for about 0.002 seconds. Furutech fuses react EXTREMELY fast, 250 mA would be the one to use here.

In fact, replace every fuse you have with one that is 50% over the specified current rating.  What could possibly go wrong with that rock-solid advice?

Steve

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #104 on: 5 Jul 2012, 12:56 pm »
In fact, replace every fuse you have with one that is 50% over the specified current rating.  What could possibly go wrong with that rock-solid advice?

Steve

There are no values inbetween.
Considering the fact that the average fuse has a margin of up to 50% and the Furutech fuses are spot on I do not see the problem.

SoundGame

« Reply #105 on: 5 Jul 2012, 01:05 pm »
There are no values inbetween.
Considering the fact that the average fuse has a margin of up to 50% and the Furutech fuses are spot on I do not see the problem.

It would actually be interesting to know what allowances are actually engineered into Bryston components.  In other words, assuming that the average fuse has a variance on average of 50%, are the specified fuse values in Bryston components reflective of this - so even though they are spec'd for a specific fuse, the design and engineering allows for a 50% margin of error on the fuse. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #106 on: 5 Jul 2012, 02:17 pm »
Ok this is my .25c on it. I am not for it or against it. After reading many other threads including this one i still am worried about the fuses failing but I digress. My real point is, you have to ask yourself why am I buying this. Changing fuses before the power supply sounds like an individual is trying to improve the response characteristic of the amp. I personally don't think this is necessary with Bryston amps using a Bit or newer 14sst2 and up models. Perhaps if you were using an older 4B into the wall it might help.

There are many other ways also to get more response from a component including outlets and cabling.

Too much of one thing can be bad I have found. Your system maybe as responsive as it can be already. Adding more responsive power to a system can cause treble glare and faster clipping in the higher regions. Changing out a fuse just may end up having to pull back in another area like cabling or volume to compensate.

Well only one way to find out is to try them. We found that adding fuses to the other components just increased the affect. Meaning more clarity without affecting the tonality.
   However I agree 100% with your opinion that too much of a good thing may be well, too much. The added clarity might expose another nasty not noticed before. So with that in mind an all out assalt may not be warranted until experimentation is done. The only issue is buying them without the availability of return. I wonder if the Cable Company has them in their lending library??

charles

larevoj

« Reply #107 on: 5 Jul 2012, 02:18 pm »
An interesting perspective.

I will let you know what my findings are.  :)

adprom

« Reply #108 on: 5 Jul 2012, 11:41 pm »
  Well only one way to find out is to try them. We found that adding fuses to the other components just increased the affect. Meaning more clarity without affecting the tonality.
   However I agree 100% with your opinion that too much of a good thing may be well, too much. The added clarity might expose another nasty not noticed before. So with that in mind an all out assalt may not be warranted until experimentation is done. The only issue is buying them without the availability of return. I wonder if the Cable Company has them in their lending library??

Also known as the Placebo effect.

People should actually understand how the electronics in these devices work and principles behind transistor design, in particular for use in amplification, before opening up amplifiers and making changes.
« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2012, 02:45 am by adprom »

werd

« Reply #109 on: 6 Jul 2012, 12:56 am »

charles

definitely worth a shot :thumb:

larevoj

« Reply #110 on: 6 Jul 2012, 07:49 am »
Also known as the Placebo effect.

People should actually understand how the electronics in these devices work and principles behind transistor design, in particular for use in amplification, before opening up amplifiers and making changes.

Placebo  :scratch:...that is stimulated and short-lived?  :lol:

I alway keep an open mind to tweaks as long as its sensible and I can hear a positive gain. In my journey I have tried isolation platforms, footers, cables, connector caps, connectors, damping weights, racks, etc. and ALL changes sound quality. Some have very audible gains while others subtle but when you put them all together the overall performance is very satisfying provided you are tweaking towards your desired sound.

Yes, your desired sound as no reproduced music is accurate since its flawed from the beginning but it can sound as close to the actual but its never real. Also what sounds right to one may not to another - whatever rocks your boat and thats all that matters.

Its all in the audition and its all in the sound one hear - science a tool it is.

larevoj

« Reply #111 on: 26 Jul 2014, 04:43 am »
I had this on my to-do-list for a long time and after several other tweaks I did recently which are all good and had positive outcome - I have come down to this.  :D

My 6.3Amp HIFi-Tuning Supreme Small (20mm/.75") Slow Blow took a while to reach me but I wasn't really in a hurry either. I did tried to take some pictures to illustrate better but the fuse is so small and its a fairly straight forward replacement. There is a rubber cap over the fuse and I recommend to use a spudger which took me only 5 secs -http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPhone-2G-3G-3GS-4-4S-5-iPod-iPad-Plastic-Nylon-Spudger-Pry-Open-Tool-5-Green-/161217542383?pt=Other_Tablet_eReader_Accessories&hash=item25895078ef. After popping in the fuse I flip the rubber cap inside out and just flip it over the fuse mount and bingo you are a done - as good as new. Plug it in and its good as gold.

So how it sound? This is where its hard to quantify in words and I want to give you only specifics not flowery words so here it goes:

1) I didn't hear any negative on this minor tweak
2) If you will its less glare or forward
3) Refined and less sibilance
4) A richer mid tone yet retains transparency
5) A firmer grip on lower registers

The above is an immediate observation in 30 mins and I doubt you will need any run in for a piece of wire as thin as a fuse but I may be wrong. I do agree for a fuse this is not a cheap try but in comparison to some other items I have installed in my system this is relatively reasonable and this is only my own opinion.

If you are thinking about this - why not ;)

huwm

« Reply #112 on: 29 Apr 2015, 04:06 pm »
just found this and fancy giving it a go
i've a 4BSST
what fuse type and rating should i get?

ragg987

« Reply #113 on: 29 Apr 2015, 04:28 pm »
I use a 5A slow-blow fuse in my 4B-SST. This if for 230v version in the UK, not sure if also applies to 110v.

The ones I went for are AMR Gold fuses. I can definitely hear a difference compared to the stock fuse. Not huge, but there and the sound feels less harsh and more rounded. I had wanted a 6.3A slow-blow but AMR did not have this, so went down a bit to keep safe.

http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/goldfuse_individual.html

huwm

« Reply #114 on: 29 Apr 2015, 07:00 pm »
thanks
i'm in the UK too
i lifted the lid and the fuse is US sized 6.3mm by 32mm not the 5mm by 20mm i was expecting?

ragg987

« Reply #115 on: 29 Apr 2015, 07:05 pm »
The fuse holder on my amp permitted both sizes - either 5x20mm or 6.3x32mm. Cannot recall which one I ended up with.

huwm

« Reply #116 on: 29 Apr 2015, 07:12 pm »
i'll have a closer look
thanks

huwm

« Reply #117 on: 29 Apr 2015, 07:52 pm »
Sorted!
You're right, takes either
Had a 5mmx20mm AMR 6.3A to hand
Well impressed, will have proper listen tomorrow

drummermitchell

« Reply #118 on: 30 Apr 2015, 01:03 am »
Seems audiophiles are doing to many hits of acid here ,blue cheer,window pane ect ENJOY :thumb:.

larevoj

« Reply #119 on: 4 May 2015, 05:38 am »
Hey Folks, sorry I have been out of action lately!~  :lol:

huwm, I guess you got all the answers you need. PM me if you need more details...

After earlier post I changed out 6 more fuses in all my electronics with Hifi-Tuning Supreme. The net gain is similar to my earlier post and adds up to one word - Refinement.  :)

One word of caution though. I don't recommend Hifi Tuning Supreme if its a Full Tube setup. In fact for Tube electronics I find the Furutech Rhodium fuses does a better job in balance. Of cos its a bit of preference here too.

Finally, I highly recommend folks with Bryston amps to consider the following for the amps to perform its best:

1) Isolation Platform - e.g. SRA
2) Fast Power Cord - e.g. Audience E or SE
3) Quality Fuse - e.g. Hifi Supreme
4) Power Isolation - e.g. BIT or Torus

All of the above provides a cumulative gain in the amplifier performance versus many other amplifiers I have tried and I can attest to it especially in my case the Bryston 4BSST2 in UK specs.

Enjoy your music ~  :thumb: