RMAF 2012 Day 1 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE

sts9fan

Re: RMAF 2012 Day 1 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE
« Reply #60 on: 13 Oct 2012, 02:41 am »
Lets refrain from quoting the large posts.

alch3my

« Reply #61 on: 13 Oct 2012, 02:56 am »
Great stuff, Tyson and Pez! Keep it coming! Would love to hear what you guys thought of the benchmark dac2 room

Ric Schultz

« Reply #62 on: 13 Oct 2012, 03:11 am »
Love the coverage. 

On the last page someone asks how the Emotiva Pro 8s compare with the Evolution Acoustics mm micro 1............If they are even close it would be scary.....as the Emotiva is a $1500 self powered monitor being fed by a $700 DAC and the Evolution Acoustics speakers are a passive speaker that currently retails for $2500 (rumored to be $3500 or more soon) manufactured by a high end company and no doubt shown with $30,000+ worth of electronics (Dartzeel, Playback Design, etc.).

saisunil

« Reply #63 on: 13 Oct 2012, 03:16 am »
Thanks ... like the tag team approach with different perspectives ... gives us a flavor

studiotech

« Reply #64 on: 13 Oct 2012, 03:19 am »
Do you mean we should tell them about their mistake?  If so, then you are in luck, because that's exactly what we did!  I'm now enjoying basking in your moral approval :D -Tyson

Most excellent gentlemen!  Glad you spoke up, it only helps the manufacturers and show attendees.

I know I sound like a broken record, BUT this is the freaking Super Bowl of audio for these folks.  Git yer schiit correct manufacturers!  Every year the same thing...  How do they set-up a system and NOT hear this?!?!? 

Next year I'm gonna go and pimp myself out as the system check out guy.  Are L/R correct?  Are speakers in phase?  Is your powered woofer even plugged in and playing?  Seen then all more than once.  Maybe it can pay for my trip AND help ensure a more consistent experience for the show attendees.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #65 on: 13 Oct 2012, 03:21 am »
Nice pics.

Sanders and GR Research were a couple of the best rooms I visited today. Sanders' electrostats are the best I've ever heard.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #66 on: 13 Oct 2012, 03:41 am »
Very nice job, great pics. Thanks for the time, efforts, & sharing :thumb: It is appreciated by all. Hope you had a nice single malt (or 2) to end day 1.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #67 on: 13 Oct 2012, 04:32 am »
Next year I'm gonna go and pimp myself out as the system check out guy.  Are L/R correct?  Are speakers in phase?  Is your powered woofer even plugged in and playing?  Seen then all more than once.  Maybe it can pay for my trip AND help ensure a more consistent experience for the show attendees.

Sweet. 8)

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #68 on: 13 Oct 2012, 05:08 am »
Love the coverage. 

On the last page someone asks how the Emotiva Pro 8s compare with the Evolution Acoustics mm micro 1............If they are even close it would be scary.....as the Emotiva is a $1500 self powered monitor being fed by a $700 DAC and the Evolution Acoustics speakers are a passive speaker that currently retails for $2500 (rumored to be $3500 or more soon) manufactured by a high end company and no doubt shown with $30,000+ worth of electronics (Dartzeel, Playback Design, etc.).

Someone on another forum liked these MM Micro Ones a lot more than the much bigger Evolution Acoustics MM Threes !

http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/29939-evolution-acoustics-mmmicroone.html

Donald

« Reply #69 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:22 pm »
Tyson and Pez,

Can you give a listen to Bob Carver's new ALS 1000's Line Arrays? They are on 5th Floor, room 506.

HT cOz

« Reply #70 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:42 pm »
Tyson and Pez,

You guys are amazing. Those of us who can not attend really appreciate your efforts! 
I can't wait for day 2 coverage. Keepem coming.

Do you guys have press badges?  Do room owners know who you are?  Do they realize the size of the audience that is following your real time posts?  This aspect of behind the scenes is interesting.

Much thanks,
cOz

Wayner

« Reply #71 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:47 pm »
Lets refrain from quoting the large posts.

+1

SoCalWJS

« Reply #72 on: 13 Oct 2012, 01:47 pm »
Tyson and Pez,

Can you give a listen to Bob Carver's new ALS 1000's Line Arrays? They are on 5th Floor, room 506.
I did stop by there yesterday. Had them running with a subwoofer at the time. No room treatments. Not overly impressed - one of those rooms that could have used a bit of work and been vastly better (IMHO).

Beautiful to look at though.  :green:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #73 on: 13 Oct 2012, 02:43 pm »
Spun some vinyl in the Zesto/Wywires room. Very nice sound with TAD speakers. I think George's Andros phonostage is an absolute killer. Obviously, it mates well with his new Leto pre amp. Listened to Neil Young Live at Massey Hall 1971; Doors L.A. Woman; Classic Records reissue of Who's Next and Classic Records reissue of David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name.

Pez

« Reply #74 on: 13 Oct 2012, 03:38 pm »
Tyson and Pez,

You guys are amazing. Those of us who can not attend really appreciate your efforts! 
I can't wait for day 2 coverage. Keepem coming.

Do you guys have press badges?  Do room owners know who you are?  Do they realize the size of the audience that is following your real time posts?  This aspect of behind the scenes is interesting.

Much thanks,
cOz

We have press badges. Some vendors see the red badge and start sucking up instantly kind of pathetic honestly. The worst offender by far was monster cables headphone booth. They literally stopped us dead in our tracks and started introducing themselves and making a very big deal out of nothing at all. Some vendors really do know us and they are aware of how we do things. No pants wetting this year so far though.  :icon_lol:

mountain1

« Reply #75 on: 13 Oct 2012, 03:41 pm »
The reason the polarity on the speaker cables in the Avatar Acoustics room are reversed is to compensate for the absolute phase inversion of the First Sound preamp.

roscoeiii

« Reply #76 on: 13 Oct 2012, 03:57 pm »
Anxiously awaiting a picture of your breakfast and then the rest of today's coverage.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #77 on: 13 Oct 2012, 04:02 pm »
The reason the polarity on the speaker cables in the Avatar Acoustics room are reversed is to compensate for the absolute phase inversion of the First Sound preamp.
Ahhhh, thank you.

roscoeiii

« Reply #78 on: 13 Oct 2012, 04:21 pm »
A heads up to folks following this thread, Day 2 is covered on a separate thread here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110588.0

WGH

« Reply #79 on: 13 Oct 2012, 04:27 pm »
No pants wetting this year so far though.  :icon_lol:

As word of your travels ripple through the Marriott you may notice some beads of sweat by the third day.