UPDATED: 🍒 Maraschino, x-CHerry, and MEGAschino REVIEWS

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Review: MARASCHINO Cherry in mono system
« Reply #100 on: 16 Aug 2016, 04:11 pm »
Cherry Maraschino Amplifier Review:

I acquired a 36 volt model (black on a black marble base) for a mono hi-fi system in my living room. The amplifier is solid in construction as well as looks, and most importantly in produced sound.

There is more than enough power with the 36 volt power supply to drive a Klipsch Cornwall III loudspeaker system way beyond reasonable sound levels.  At sensible listening levels the music this amplifier produces is over and above what I can hear with other solid state or tube amplifiers.  Originating on compact discs (from Mozart to Eminem), FM radio, and a Mood Music Server, there is rich, deep bass, crystal clear highs, and a full, well defined mid range.  Some of this, no doubt, has to do with the loudspeaker system.

Guests have looked at my living room hi-fi setup and asked what the Cherry Maraschino Amplifier is.  When I answer they are amazed that such a small and unusual looking piece of equipment can produce the magnificent sound they are hearing.  You can't tell a book by its' cover…

One of the things to like most about the Cherry Maraschino Amplifier is that it is a serious upscale amplifier designed and crafted right here in the United States.

Clemente Hernandez

Fredly

Re: MARASCHINO REVIEWS
« Reply #101 on: 2 Nov 2016, 03:43 pm »
OK, here’s my long overdue review of the STM Cherry Amp. (Tommy, thanx for your patience)

Basically, I’m creating a “moderately priced” retirement system for this 54 year old.

Current System

My current system consists of;

Schiit Modi2 Multibit DAC:   http://schiit.com/news/news/introducing-modi-multibit
Chane/Arx A5rx-c Speakers:   https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/a5rx-c
GR Research Rythmik Sub:   http://www.rythmikaudio.com/GRci.html
Speaker Cables (Duelund DCA-16Awg):    http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=9691
DIY Belden 8402/Switchcraft 3502AAU Interconnects:   http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=7325
..and a Raspberry Pi 3/HifiBerry Digi+ as transport duty, running Max2play:   https://www.max2play.com/en/

The whole system is run via an IPad running SqueezePad:   http://squeezepad.com/

How’s it Sound!

OK Fred, cut to the chase, how does the final System/STM Sound! 

It's pretty good; I have to say I’m pretty impressed with the final sound.   :D

At the beginning the STM sounded pretty muddy/wooly/muffled and I was not pleased at all. But I have gone through the break-in periods with a LOT of components, so assured myself to just be patient.

I’d say around the 50-100hr mark, things started to sound “right”. The sparkly highs were there, air moving lows as well, Soundstage/3D sound coming in loud and clear.

It certainly was an improvement in refinement from the Aksa Lifeforce 55 Amplifier it replaced  (which was no slouch), but I can’t say the wattage was much more and estimate that with my 90db+ sensitive Speakers I am getting around 70W in total. Frankly this is not a problem, because when cranked, it’s pretty loud.  :rock:

Tommy can you hear me!

All and all I am very happy with the size and design of the STM, but man do I wish it had a Sub Out. If it was available, this would have allowed me to easily integrate my Sub. As such, I include the Schiit Sys as preamp duty in the audio chain.

Conclusion

As a lurker in AudioCircle and Audio buff, I’m seeing more and more “Killer” amplifiers around the 1K range, so this is a very crowded area, and I spent many many months reading all kinds of reviews before finally settling with the STM.

In conclusion I have no regrets in choosing the STM, and think it represents a very good value in getting into the entry point of “true” audiophile sound.

Well done Tommy!

OzarkTom

« Reply #102 on: 6 Nov 2016, 10:22 pm »
You chose wisely. :D

My buddy Rex is using his with the Decware DNA Horns and cannot imagine any sound better. Rex has been in this hobby over 40 years and has owned almost everything. STM beat his $7500 integrated by quite a bit that he sold here on AC.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #103 on: 28 Nov 2016, 07:53 pm »
2016 Writer's Choice Award from Positive Feedback Online....
GOLDEN MARASCHINO CHERRY MONOBLOCKS

More info:
http://www.cherryamp.com/golden-cherry-dtm

OzarkTom

« Reply #104 on: 29 Nov 2016, 01:04 am »
From Positive Feedback

Amps are often not considered as a serious source of transparency or outlet for improved fidelity. But anyone knowing of names such as Krell, Threshold, and Mark Levinson may well disagree. The qualities associated with good amplification include wide and deep soundstaging, focused instrumental imaging, quiet backgrounds, explosive dynamics, and when called for … slam! And they are all in abundance here in this high bias frequency Class D monoblock amplifier. From the small pair of packages (4 pieces for stereo left and right) connected by less than a foot of finely braided solid-core cable is unleashed a torrent of current and voltage that easily isolates and controls all aspects of you loudspeaker's drivers; no matter the number or size per channel. It is my assessment that these Golden Cherry are easily able to accommodate up to (nearly) 300 watts of unceasing high current balanced Class D power into a 6 ohm average load with precision, grace, voluptuousness, and see-through transparency; allowing the essence (forgive the pun) of the music to come through apparently unhindered or abated. I listened to over a 1000 different albums in the course of reviewing the below mentioned Ceratec Mk. IV Loudspeakers and of the available choices, both analog and digital for increasing volume to the speakers through amplification including both tube and solid state choices from over 30 years, these Cherry amps were easily able to negotiate what most often appears a done deal in terms of improved interaction with one's music. These Golden Cherry Amps revitalized every pair of speakers I connected them to in any of the many different arrays of systems I auditioned them in, including speakers by Ologe Acoustic, Snell, Ceratec, Symdex, Waterfall Audio, Bose & Cambridge Sound Works.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Stereo Maraschino -- Stereo Times Most Wanted Component Award !
« Reply #105 on: 22 Dec 2016, 03:25 pm »
Stereo Maraschino won a Stereo Times Most Wanted Component Award !  Review on the way....

KLH007

« Reply #106 on: 22 Dec 2016, 04:07 pm »
Congratulations!

mfsoa

« Reply #107 on: 22 Dec 2016, 10:48 pm »
This snippet from Positive-Feedback describes the Maraschino line well:

These Golden Cherry Amps revitalized every pair of speakers I connected them to in any of the many different arrays of systems I auditioned them in, including speakers by Ologe Acoustic, Snell, Ceratec, Symdex, Waterfall Audio, Bose & Cambridge Sound Works.

What they can do to a system is not subtle and I can see why he said "revitalized" as a sense of  "uh oh how much of my music simply wasn't making it out of my old amp" hits you over the head.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
MARASCHINO MENTION
« Reply #108 on: 10 Jan 2017, 09:42 pm »
In a very recent 6moons review of the new Mark & Daniel Maximus Ruby MkII:
"....Mate them with other hidden treasures like the Digital Audio Company Maraschino amplifiers that offer far more than their small size and price would suggest. You will be in heaven."

The review, in case you're interested:
http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/m+d2/1.html

OzarkTom

Re: Stereo Maraschino -- Stereo Times Most Wanted Component Award !
« Reply #109 on: 22 Jan 2017, 12:20 am »
Stereo Maraschino won a Stereo Times Most Wanted Component Award !  Review on the way....

http://www.stereotimes.com/page/most-wanted-2016

Digital Audio Company Stereo Maraschino ($1000): Small, lightweight and as far as appearances and heavy-weight amps go, this little baby is almost laughable. Once installed however, I was gobsmacked with actually how good this little digital dynamo performed. Iinstalled this standard 48v version (a more powerful 60v version avalible for $1500.00), right up against the New Audio Frontiers 300B SE ($18k) and Grandinote Demone mono amps ($45k), and though not in the same realm in terms of overall sonic attributes, I could state for the record: the Stereo Maraschino produced a sound that was far more rewarding than I thought possible based on its size and price. Has a sweet, tube-like presentation with great low-end foundation to boot, thanks to its digital power-supply. Really impressive design. Review forthcoming! (Clement Perry)

My buddy Rex recetly received his 36v PS and he says wow!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
48V ILM REVIEW
« Reply #110 on: 27 Jan 2017, 10:49 pm »
48V In-Line Maraschino customer comment:
"Received the cherry amps today and they sound great right out of the box....    ....I have had 2 wired4sound amps in the past and they almost discouraged me from trying class d again, they didn't last long.  Your cherry inline amp makes me glad I did....    ....Thanks"
- John W (Dayton WY)

mfsoa

« Reply #111 on: 3 Feb 2017, 10:49 pm »
Stereo Times review is up:

http://www.stereotimes.com/post/stereo-maraschino-amplifier/

Another great review, Tommy, congrats.

I remain puzzled that the DAC products get great review after great review with what seems to me like little attention.

But hell, talk about another me-too ncore-in-a-box and people come out of the woodwork...

Tommy, any idea when the PF review will be up? From the excerpt above that review should stellar.

-Mike

jseipp

« Reply #112 on: 3 Feb 2017, 11:47 pm »
I am with you in wondering at the relative quiet on the Maraschino and the DAC DAC front.  I have now installed inline Maraschinos in two very different systems and settings, and they shine in both.  I am also using the TL DAC DAC to great effect.

I have written about the magic of Maraschinos with GR Research Wedgies, but I haven't given a full account of the Maraschinos on Legacy Audio's Classics (the ones with the black domes).  The Classics are the first pair of good speakers I heard and that I owned, and I am now using them nearly daily for Netflix and occasionally for Tidal.  I am mesmerized by the open-baffle sound of the Wedgies, but had I started with DAC equipment on the Classics I may never have looked any further.  The combination of the TL DAC DAC and the King Maraschinos make movie and show soundtracks impactful and utterly enveloping.  The Classics combine a bunch of drivers with a complex crossover, and the Maraschinos, brought to life by the DAC DAC, handle them handily at a whisper as well as a shout, not to mention explosions.  There is no need to consider adding subs with the grip on bass the Maraschinos provide, and the sound comes through glowingly clear and smooth through the entire frequency range.

The new review points out something I learned about Tommy when I first dealt with him -- he really listens and constantly seeks ways to offer equipment that will fit each customer's needs.  I am running nearly identical sets of Maraschinos with two different sets of power supplies, as recommended by Tommy, and each set is just right for the system.  I consider Tommy more an audio consultant than a salesman, and he has always responded in full whenever I have asked his advice.

Each review reinforces what I hear every day -- I hope others tune in and get to hear the same!

John               

smargo

« Reply #113 on: 7 Feb 2017, 09:26 pm »
I am with you in wondering at the relative quiet on the Maraschino and the DAC DAC front. 

John               

i thought i purchased the stereo version of the maraschino on feb 4th - (i got a receipt from paypal) -  but still no acknowledgement from the company. and i sent emails as well?

smargo

« Reply #114 on: 8 Feb 2017, 01:21 am »
i thought i purchased the stereo version of the maraschino on feb 4th - (i got a receipt from paypal) -  but still no acknowledgement from the company. and i sent emails as well?

everything is fine now - I heard from tommy - all is well

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #115 on: 8 Feb 2017, 01:50 am »
Stereo Times review is up:

http://www.stereotimes.com/post/stereo-maraschino-amplifier/

Another great review, Tommy, congrats.

I remain puzzled that the DAC products get great review after great review with what seems to me like little attention.

But hell, talk about another me-too ncore-in-a-box and people come out of the woodwork...

Tommy, any idea when the PF review will be up? From the excerpt above that review should stellar.

-Mike
Thanks, Mike.  Regarding the new PF review, it should be out pretty soon, but I'll ask.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #116 on: 8 Feb 2017, 01:56 am »
I am with you in wondering at the relative quiet on the Maraschino and the DAC DAC front.  I have now installed inline Maraschinos in two very different systems and settings, and they shine in both.  I am also using the TL DAC DAC to great effect.

I have written about the magic of Maraschinos with GR Research Wedgies, but I haven't given a full account of the Maraschinos on Legacy Audio's Classics (the ones with the black domes).  The Classics are the first pair of good speakers I heard and that I owned, and I am now using them nearly daily for Netflix and occasionally for Tidal.  I am mesmerized by the open-baffle sound of the Wedgies, but had I started with DAC equipment on the Classics I may never have looked any further.  The combination of the TL DAC DAC and the King Maraschinos make movie and show soundtracks impactful and utterly enveloping.  The Classics combine a bunch of drivers with a complex crossover, and the Maraschinos, brought to life by the DAC DAC, handle them handily at a whisper as well as a shout, not to mention explosions.  There is no need to consider adding subs with the grip on bass the Maraschinos provide, and the sound comes through glowingly clear and smooth through the entire frequency range.

The new review points out something I learned about Tommy when I first dealt with him -- he really listens and constantly seeks ways to offer equipment that will fit each customer's needs.  I am running nearly identical sets of Maraschinos with two different sets of power supplies, as recommended by Tommy, and each set is just right for the system.  I consider Tommy more an audio consultant than a salesman, and he has always responded in full whenever I have asked his advice.

Each review reinforces what I hear every day -- I hope others tune in and get to hear the same!

John               

Thanks, John.  We need customers to spread the word so we can keep our margins low.  The "other guys" are spending hand-over-fist for advertising.  Customers like you are helping tremendously!  Thanks again for the kind words (:

AHarman

« Reply #117 on: 23 Mar 2017, 06:06 pm »
Having read good things in forums and reviews, I recently took the plunge and purchased a pair of 60V desktop Maraschinos.

I've been entrapped in this hobby for many years and, like numerous others, I've been forever changing and tweaking, striving for that perfect sound. Since installing these amps, I've never felt less compelled to meddle with anything in the system and never has a change of component(s) more surprised me! The music has a clarity, realism and (for want of a better word) flow that I've not experienced from any system before, let alone my own, and I've never enjoyed listening to music so much in my own home.

The quality of the bass output is probably what astounded me the most and there's absolutely no going back once it's experienced. Initially, I thought they sounded a little light on bass, but I soon realised I was mistaking this accurate and controlled bass for lack of LF power.

A friend recently visited who plays double bass regularly in a band. We ended up losing track of time and staying up till 5am, just listening to and enjoying tracks we both know and love, so captivating was the fresh perspective these gave to music we considered familiar. He remarked that it sounded remarkably like a live performance, which is commendation indeed from a professional musician and surely exactly what we're all striving to achieve with this hobby?!

All this enjoyment from a relatively modest system too (when key components are bought used, at least): Mac mini running Jriver Media Centre, Chord 2qute DAC, Tisbury Audio passive preamp, 60V Cherries, Spendor A9 speakers

I honestly couldn't recommend these enough.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Part 1 of Golden Cherry review in POF: An Interview with Tommy O'Brien of Digital Amplifier Company:
http://positive-feedback.com/interviews/tommy-obrien-digital-amplifier-co/

"....these GOLDEN CHERRY Digital Amp Co. gems may be the single most transparent, uncolored, and precise amplification experience...."

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
New customer review of STM
« Reply #119 on: 3 Apr 2017, 06:35 pm »
New customer review of STM:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149310.msg1596824#msg1596824

"I really cant tell if im listening to a push pull  tube amp, solid state ab amp, solid state class a amp - or a triode single ended amp. because all i hear is music - not so much whats in the chain of equipment. Its the best amp i have heard of up to $3000 - I cant speak to more than that - because my experience is limited."