UPDATED: 🍒 Maraschino, x-CHerry, and MEGAschino REVIEWS

SteveMiller

Re: MARASCHINO REVIEWS
« Reply #60 on: 12 Apr 2016, 01:02 am »
If that is your sub, bet the amp will sound  better off of the sub.

Thanks OzarkTom....  Good eye!   It is a subwoofer box...  But it's empty   Just using as a table for now.  I have a carbon-fibre shelf sat atop the sub box. And the Sorbothane feet of STM seem to keep things running smooth. 

Truth is, even with the small 6" woofers of the speakers in the pic, STM really needs no additional subwoofing. Besides, it would have to be a mighty fast one to keep up with the agile bass served up by STM!

Thanks again.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #61 on: 30 Apr 2016, 04:59 pm »
I am waiting for the 30v power supplies. At the SPL's I play my system at, I know these will be perfect for me.
Tom,

I've been trying to get in touch with you for a few weeks now via regular email and PMs on AC.  Hope all is well.

Everybody else,

If you know where Tom is, please drop me a line.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

OzarkTom

« Reply #62 on: 30 Apr 2016, 05:09 pm »
I am here, guess you never got my email. :scratch:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #63 on: 30 Apr 2016, 05:29 pm »
I am here, guess you never got my email. :scratch:
Received.  Thanks.  Your 30V power supplies should be in your hands this week.  (:

OzarkTom

« Reply #64 on: 1 May 2016, 01:50 pm »
Received.  Thanks.  Your 30V power supplies should be in your hands this week.  (:

:thumb:

dspringham

« Reply #65 on: 1 May 2016, 03:38 pm »
Hi Ozark Tom,

I'm current using a Hypex ncore400 and have considered a Job 225. However I have noticed some of your recent posts concerning the DAC Maraschino.

I was wondering if you would be so kind as to compare the Maraschino to the Job and ncore (since you have heard/owned both). Please reference ease of use, build and sound quality.

For reference I am using a Sony HAP-Z1ES as well. I was lucky enough to be able to purchase a Level 3 modded one on the used market - sounds terrific.

OzarkTom

« Reply #66 on: 13 May 2016, 03:45 am »
The 30v power supplies are hooked up and at very low listening levels, I am very impressed. More coming when I can crank this system up.

Also, an update from Rex and his tiny integrated. What is the retail, Tommy?

The cherry amps has more detail than the Job 225 amp and is much smoother than the NC-400 in my system.

OzarkTom

« Reply #67 on: 14 May 2016, 12:37 am »
30v power supplies

More resolution
More organic
More detail
More foot stomping
More emotional
More dimensional

Are these the same amps?

OzarkTom

« Reply #68 on: 15 May 2016, 08:40 pm »
My buddy Rex says his new STM is beating his L.I.O. with AVC in almost every way, especially in detail and soundstage.  Now he is hesitant to trade his AVC in for the DHT on his LIO.

For those that is drooling over the LIO but cannot afford it, look at Tommy's STM.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #69 on: 18 May 2016, 09:15 pm »
My buddy Rex says his new STM is beating his L.I.O. with AVC in almost every way, especially in detail and soundstage.  Now he is hesitant to trade his AVC in for the DHT on his LIO.

For those that is drooling over the LIO but cannot afford it, look at Tommy's STM.
Thanks for the info, Tom. Hope you're enjoying the 30V version.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #70 on: 18 May 2016, 09:22 pm »
The 30v power supplies are hooked up and at very low listening levels, I am very impressed. More coming when I can crank this system up.

Also, an update from Rex and his tiny integrated. What is the retail, Tommy?

The cherry amps has more detail than the Job 225 amp and is much smoother than the NC-400 in my system.
The Stereo Maraschino, sometimes referred to as "STM", comes in two versions:

STM: 100W x 2ch into 8Ω, $1200 new web price
KING STM:  200W x 2ch into 8Ω, Gold WBTs, $1700 new web price

Thanks for the inquiry.

SteveMiller

« Reply #71 on: 18 May 2016, 09:35 pm »

Still LOVING my STM over here.   Even my GF likes it.   It's amuzing and heartwarming to come home after work and hear nice music playing already.... It's the first time she ever attempted to use my system and now since STM its always on!   Wonder if she air-guitar's when I'm not home    :no_see:

roscoeiii

« Reply #72 on: 18 May 2016, 09:39 pm »
The Stereo Maraschino, sometimes referred to as "STM", comes in two versions:

STM: 100W x 2ch into 8Ω, $1200 new web price
KING STM:  200W x 2ch into 8Ω, Gold WBTs, $1700 new web price

Thanks for the inquiry.

What is are the STMs into 4 ohms?

jseipp

« Reply #73 on: 18 May 2016, 11:59 pm »
30v power supplies

More resolution
More organic
More detail
More foot stomping
More emotional
More dimensional

Are these the same amps?

I had exactly the same experience -- still can't explain it, just knew it the moment I heard it.

OzarkTom

« Reply #74 on: 19 May 2016, 12:00 am »

Rex has the $1200 version. He says it beats his mono Marashino cherry amps+LIO in detail and soundstage. It is very hard for Rex to switch back to his LIO, which he still loves

OzarkTom

« Reply #75 on: 19 May 2016, 12:02 am »
I had exactly the same experience -- still can't explain it, just knew it the moment I heard it.

It was instant here also, from the first note. :thumb:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #76 on: 19 May 2016, 03:14 pm »
Power doubles into 4Ω.  Thanks again.

genjamon

« Reply #77 on: 19 May 2016, 04:15 pm »

I had the full 30 day trial with LIO last August/September - with DAC, AVC/Tubestage, and the mosfet amp.  I had Vinnie configure some custom line inputs direct into the mosfet amp and a little switch - so I could properly A/B every one of the modules against my other components.  I found the DAC and AVC/tubestage to be highly highly resolving, but not as tonally or harmonically rich as my Lampizator level 4+ DAC or Dude tube preamp.  But that could have been a matter of taste for some.  LIO was very high quality performance here and quite competitive with top shelf electronics if you ask me.

But the mosfet amp itself was nowhere near the same level of resolution, refinement as my Line Magnetic 518 amp bypassing its own preamp stage.  I would consider the mosfet amp the weak link in the LIO, but LIO could be highly competitive as a DAC/preamp with the right configuration and tube selection.  And I have no doubt that the DHT upgrade is a big one - because I've heard what that kind of output stage can do when I upgraded to the Lampizator Big7. 

So, I'm not surprised to hear the STM's beat out the LIO amp stage, but I'd encourage Rex and others to try other amps with LIO to see if you like how it compares to your other DAC's/preamps. 

genjamon

« Reply #78 on: 19 May 2016, 04:20 pm »
deleted - duplicate post

OzarkTom

« Reply #79 on: 19 May 2016, 04:45 pm »
I had the full 30 day trial with LIO last August/September - with DAC, AVC/Tubestage, and the mosfet amp.  I had Vinnie configure some custom line inputs direct into the mosfet amp and a little switch - so I could properly A/B every one of the modules against my other components.  I found the DAC and AVC/tubestage to be highly highly resolving, but not as tonally or harmonically rich as my Lampizator level 4+ DAC or Dude tube preamp.  But that could have been a matter of taste for some.  LIO was very high quality performance here and quite competitive with top shelf electronics if you ask me.

But the mosfet amp itself was nowhere near the same level of resolution, refinement as my Line Magnetic 518 amp bypassing its own preamp stage.  I would consider the mosfet amp the weak link in the LIO, but LIO could be highly competitive as a DAC/preamp with the right configuration and tube selection.  And I have no doubt that the DHT upgrade is a big one - because I've heard what that kind of output stage can do when I upgraded to the Lampizator Big7. 

So, I'm not surprised to hear the STM's beat out the LIO amp stage, but I'd encourage Rex and others to try other amps with LIO to see if you like how it compares to your other DAC's/preamps.

Rex has tried other amps with his LIO, but the STM beats them all in detail and soundstage. Rex still loves his LIO, but he prefers the STM with his Sony HAP-Z1ES.

Since Rex moved back to Hawaii, I don't get to listen to his system anymore.