PM sent

imassarano

Re: MARASCHINO REVIEWS
« Reply #41 on: 30 Jun 2015, 02:01 pm »
Thanks Tommy :thumb:

GregC

« Reply #42 on: 12 Jul 2015, 10:57 pm »
I just wanted to post my impressions of the Maraschino amps.  I bought two pairs of inline Maraschino amps to bi-amp my Emerald Physics CS 2.7 speakers and a single desktop amp to power my center channel for my home theater setup.  I got the 48v power supplies so I could place them out of sight in tight spaces (like behind my dual subs). 

I have an original Dodd battery powered preamp that I had upgraded with Silver Mundorf caps and the most current battery charging system.  The Dodd has HT bypass so I can have quality 2 channel listening along with easy home theater integration.  The Dodd is extremely transparent, as are the Emerald Physics speakers.   The CS 2.7 speakers are also 97DB efficient so they are very unforgiving of noisy amps.

I hooked up the Maraschino amps and sat back to listen to some very familiar music to see how they compared to my prior amps.  Let me cut to the chase, the amps are extremely dynamic and resolving without being too analytical.  My wife said they sounded "distortion free" and that I think that is a good way to describe them.  Additionally I would say the sound stage depth and width increased without sounding diffuse or artificial.  The instruments are placed exactly where they should be.

The desktop Maraschino does a stellar job on the center channel in my home theater setup.  The center channel blends well with the Emerald Physic mains since they are all hooked up to the Maraschino amps.  The center channel is critical for home theater since the majority of dialog comes from there, and the desktop maraschino delivers in spades. 

To not sound like shill I will point out the only things that you might need to take into consideration.  The gain is 22 DB so you need to make sure that your room size and components match up well but they have plenty of headroom in my setup.  Also, when I ran an Audyssey setup I received an out of phase warning that I ignored and skipped, and the resulting setup sounded superb.

Tommy knocked it out of the park with these amps.  I love the flexibility of placement in tight places and their performance is off the chart.   Thanks Tommy for providing such amazing products at real world prices. 

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
60V KING MARASCHINO REVIEW in PFO
« Reply #43 on: 8 Sep 2015, 01:56 pm »
"To describe the Maraschinos, I'd focus on aspects like unwavering image lock, realistic sizing, articulated depth layering, clear sound staging...."

Link:
http://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/digital-amplifier-company-king-60v-desktop-maraschino-amplifier/

:D

This is the first professional review of our Maraschino amps at 60V.  We are looking for suggestions....  Who would you like to review the KING In-Line (a.k.a. "hanging amp") Maraschino?

Thanks, Steve, for the down-to-earth explanation of the SOUND that these amps produce.

OzarkTom

« Reply #44 on: 8 Sep 2015, 11:59 pm »
I agree 100% with that review. These amps are a knockout. :thumb:
 My audio buddy Rex calls them BIG BOY amps.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #45 on: 9 Sep 2015, 12:50 am »
I agree 100% with that review. These amps are a knockout. :thumb:
 My audio buddy Rex calls them BIG BOY amps.
Thanks for your post, Tom.  Maybe Steve should review the Hanging Maraschinos too....

Herwet

KING 60V Maraschino amplifier review
« Reply #46 on: 4 Oct 2015, 09:10 am »
KING 60V Maraschino amplifier review

MY GEAR
Speakers
   Sperrling DP3 (semi open baffle with two 11” bass, 8” midrange, treble horn
   Pure Audio Project Trio 15, two 15” Eminence Neo, 8” Tang Band W8-1808
Pre & DAC
   B.M.C. Puredac (balanced output)
   Nad C510
Poweramps
   Cherry Maraschino King 60V … compared with …
   Acoustic Reality class D ICE Power 1000 W, 8 years old.
   Harmony Design class A/B mono blocks, 6-8 years old.
   NAD M22 class D (nCore 400 based)
Media player: J. River
Media format: Flac
Computer: Homebuilt passively cooled with Windows 8.1

BACKGROUND
To put it short, I have upgraded to a pair of Pure Audi Project Trio 15 TB open baffle speakers. My previous speakers the ”Sperrling DP3” were my ”babies” and have survived since 1998. They have a semi open back and a very good ability to reproduce room and space. They can come out as a bit harsh in the top with some recordings though. My hope is to get an even more open, refined and distinct sound with the Trio 15 speakers combinded with the King 60V Maraschinos.
   While dipole open baffle constructions helps give this wonderful room imaging, it also demands an amp to keep the bass drivers in control, well actually all drivers but more noticable in the bass. The M´s (Maraschinos) are small amps in size but I hope they prove big in control.
   I will keep my integrity and share a ”non adjusted” review, even if it is a short one. In the same time, I do need to say that Tommy at DAC (Digital Amplifier Company) have given the best support. As an example, I happened to damage one of the amps while testing and he still helped out to fix it, even if it was all my fault. So if you buy on distance, like I did (Sweden), it seems as you can feel safe buying from Digital Amplifier.

LISTENING
I have learned that one sure sign there is something wrong with my stereo equipment, is when I start buying less and less music. Then there is something lacking in the music reproduction, like the instruments and voices not sounding whole or close to real live instruments. With the effect that the music is just not touching me deep enough. This is the same thing I notice after having danced Argentinian Tango for some years. I know I neeeeed to dance when the music touches me and when it does not, I can be as content by just watching others dancing. It works the same way when listening to music, if it is not genuine enough, then I gradually loose interest.
   So when I got the M:s I felt like I was about to taste a new kind of candy, hoping it would taste as good and involving as I hoped for. And to put it short and brief, the M:s offered a lot of colour and richness, a bit like tube amps have a reputation to do. Actually the M´s remind a lot of tube amps in the sound character, as a whole. It has that airy spacious glow if you know what I mean. So they are excellent amps for they who want to sit back and relax and not over analyse the sound, just to enjoy the music. And secondly, the amps sound basically good from the beginning, just give the power supplies a few warming up minutes. None of that long burning in time as some amps might demand. And in the same I want to say that breaking in is more important for speakers with their physical driver suspension material, which need softening.
   Soon after installation, I compared the M:s with the Acoustic Reality ICE Power 1000 W amps and the Nad M22, both class D. It did not take long to know the M:s are better in every field. They have more of nuances and that colour I need to hear to enjoy the music and they present more body in instruments and voices. They also have a more distinct and characterized bass, and in the same time not at all hard or cold sounding. As I said, a Tube-like sound. Another description could be an inviting and relaxing aura and timbre around the music. In other words, they will not leave any ear fatigue feeling.
   So the above impressions was when compared to my other class D amps. However, when compared to Harmony Designs class A/B amps (about the same price) there was another difference though, at least when paired with my open baffle speakers. Now … it is good to know that Mattias Stridbeck at Harmon Design is probably one of the better amp designers in Sweden and he has made himself a highly respected name in the audiophile community. It turned out that the Pure Audio Projects open baffle speakers are more ”friends” with this class A/B design, or at least, with amps that have high damping factor. In this comparison the HD gave more of contour and character around each instrument and singer, especially in the lower frequencies but also noticed in midrange and other frequencies. And of course, this higher damping factor gave every part of the music more color. Regarding the mid- and high frequencies, the M:s tube like sound was more gentle but not as refined as the HD´s. I came to the conclusion that this was due to the HD:s higher damping factor which gave it an ability to control the drivers movements better (especially backward movement), which gave the music more contour, especially regarding the 15” drivers with all its energy.
   Now, the brain need time to sort out the impressions before analysing them in the mind. So after having given myself a few more evenings of listening and to be in the music, the earlier impressions did stay. The M:s never seem to distort in the high notes. That is quite clear when listening to the cymbals who has that nice shimmering non obtrusive sound. You could say the M:s keeps it clean and airy, even if under pressure. Quite nice to be able to sit back, relax and enjoy dynamic high pitched notes, without worrying about when it will distort. Tube like is still what comes to mind.

CONCLUSION
So my impressions are quite positive and the M:s have a clear and more full and rich character than the other class D amps I compared them with (Nad M22, ICE Power). So if you have closed baffle speakers I can recommend them. If you have open baffle speakers I would recommend something with higher damping factor. On the other hand, I wouldn´t be surprised if the bigger Cherry brothers “Cherry Stereo” or “Cherry Ultra Stereo” would be an excellent choice with their powerful transformers. Unfortunately I could not test those since they are not sold in Europe.
   So my recommendation is that if you want tube like and non obtrusive sound and have closed baffle speakers, then the M:s are a very good choice. That, combined with the low electricity consumption, is an appealing combination.

MUSIC I LISTENED TO
Adam Adolphe, ”O Helga Natt” (album ”Cantate Domino” 1976).
Adele, ”Daydreamer” (album 19).
Alan Shavarsh Bardezbanian, ”Sfikas Tsamiko” (album ”Oud Masterpieces”)
Allen Toussaints, ”The Bright Mississippi” with ”A Dear Old Southland”, ”Day Dream” and ”St James Infirmary".
Anders Persson Trio, ”Momo” (album ”Domestic Wax”).
Bossi Enrico, ”Cantate Domino” (album ” album ”Cantate Domino” 1976”).
Buika, ”Volver, Volver” (album ”En Mi Piel”).
Curtis Mayfield, ”People Get Ready” (album ”Curtis/Live!”).
Diana Krall, ”Little Girl Blue” (album ”Best of Diana Krall”).
Dulsory, ”Big Drum Sinawi” (album ”Korean Drums”).
Helen Sjöholm, ”Vårvindar Friska” (album ”Visor”).
Melody Gardot, ”Baby I'm a Fool” (album ”My One And Only Thrill”).
Sarasate, Zigeunerweisen Op20 2 Lento (album ”Violin Showpieces - Erick Friedman”).
Susan Tedeschi, ”Blues on a Holiday” (album ”Wait for Me”).
Tori Amos, ”Me and a Gun” (album ”Little Earthquakes”).
Yasmin Levy, ”Adio Kerida” (album Mano Suave).
Yasmin Levy, ”Una Matika De Ruda” (live album La Juderia).
Youn Sun Nahs, ”My Bye” (album Voyage).
Youn Sun Nahs, ”Shenandoah” (album ”My One And Only Thrill”).

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: KING 60V Maraschino amplifier review
« Reply #47 on: 4 Oct 2015, 06:11 pm »
KING 60V Maraschino amplifier review....

Thanks for the detailed review, Herjolf!

SteveMiller

« Reply #48 on: 14 Dec 2015, 03:20 am »
I have just posted this on another AC/DAC thread, but it rings true here as well, so if you'll indulge me....

I had the opportunity to sample a pair of Klipsch RB61 bookshelf speakers today.  Now, this pair aren't quite broken in yet to my ears, but I've heard them 1/2 dozen times on other vintage receivers.  Just last night they were driven by an all tubed SonicFrontiers integrated, and a very nice vintage Pioneer receiver that was much better than I expected. 

However, compared to my Maraschino's playing a $10k pair of speakers, I thought the Klipsh/integrated combo sounded grey, thin, and uninvolving.  The treble was always too forward and harsh.

We tried one more pairing..... DAC DAC -> MARASCHINO'S -> Klipsch.   

Holy Shift!   Suddenly the previously forward treble sounded more refined, and the speaker made better bass. The lower registers of familiar music stopped and started quicker.  The midrange began to show promise. And imaging, oh my god!  These little $500 bookshelf speakers sold at BestBuy never sounded like this before.  I think a few more hours of good loud tunes to loosen up the firmly hung woofers and these little guys will be a great little system.  It was as if the amps were able to see past the crossover and just made the drivers work better.

Point here is, a good simple system was sitting here waiting to be found, and it came to life with the Maraschino's doing the heavy lifting.  Plenty of gain and ample volume in a 13x16x9h room.  Think of all the bargain speakers waiting to be woken up by the Maraschino amps.  This is going to be FUN!
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2015, 01:08 pm by SteveMiller »

jseipp

« Reply #49 on: 2 Feb 2016, 01:57 am »
Although I have given a preview in another thread, it's time for a full report comparing Maraschinos on 60V power supplies with the same amps on 30V supplies that Tommy sent after he found them to have wonderful synergy with high efficiency speakers.  As my main speakers are a pair of Danny Richie's Wedgies, weighing in at 97dB, I was excited to give the new supplies a try.  I should mention that I have a set of powered dual open baffle servo subs augmenting each of the Wedgies, so the Maraschinos are not driving the lowest frequencies in this setup.  Even so, I have found the little Maraschinos, fed straight into the crossovers and sitting right behind them, to be the ideal partners in this setup, and have had them there since their Kickstarter debut.  I have written previously about the many virtues of the Maraschinos; now, about these new power supplies....

Running a music server into a processor/DAC, with the first few swaps of power supplies I could both hear and feel that Tommy was onto something.  Music flowed more easily while at the same time filling space in a more precise way on the 30V supplies.  Both were making beautiful music, but there was something really special going on with the new supplies.  After all too brief a period, however, technical difficulties stepped in and took my music network down.  Not wanting to be pulled out of the mood, I swapped in a good disc spinner, fed it directly into the Maraschinos, and I think my jaw actually dropped.  The simpler setup was really spectacular.  Now the swapping back and forth got really interesting....

The Maraschinos on the 60V power supplies have always sounded great to me, but the 30V supplies make a considerably larger difference in presentation than I thought they would, or than I imagined they could.  Before this comparison, I never thought of the Maraschinos with the 60V supplies as sounding at all flat, but the 30Vs bring even more space to everything.  Sounds fill their own defined spaces without sounding separated from the flow.  The Wedgies do a great job of producing both a focused image and a satisfying ambiance in my room, and the new combination serves as a multiplier.  The result is almost eerily holographic, with drive and snap when called for, but with subtlety in every register and especially airy treble that floats easily in space.  This effect isn't lost at low volumes or as loud as I can stand; there is no volume at which the music loses its character or composure.

By comparison, the 60V supplies give a more laid-back presentation, wonderfully musical but without the degree of magic that the new supplies provide.  I could even see some listeners preferring that sound, but the difference is not subtle and my tastes come down easily on the side of the 30V supplies.  There's a glow to the new combination that I've now been testing, switching the supplies back and forth, for almost two weeks.  As the magic shows no signs of wearing off, the older supplies will now be doing duty in another system.

Which brings me to the rest of the testing I've done.  On a pair of Legacy Audio Classics usually used for home theater, relatively complicated six-driver four-way speakers rated at 92dB, the virtues of the 60V supplies reveal themselves.  The Classics can really belt out the bass, and the Maraschinos with the 60V supplies keep an iron grip down low.  The combination shines right up through the mid band and into the treble as well, sounding spaciously deep and surprisingly wide in a long, narrow room with a fair amount of acoustic treatment, just about the opposite of the first setup.  The 30Vs here don't have quite the same grip, and the overall effect is the inverse, though a considerably milder version, of that with the first setup, with the 60V supplies producing the better top to bottom integration and overall presentation.

Finally, the comparison of the two with a pair of Onix Reference 1s, 88dB stand mounts, in a bedroom setup also highlights the Maraschinos' ability to produce serious bass -- truly impressive coming from small two-ways situated near the center of the room.  On this count, as well as the overall integration of sound, the 60V supplies come out on top once again.  Once again, however, I can and have become completely lost in the music powered by both sets of supplies, even as I have tried to stay on task comparing the two.

When I first received the Maraschinos, I remember feeling that the only additional thing I could hope for from an amp was simply more of the same qualities that they already brought.  Without even touching the amps themselves, Tommy found a way to add that something extra, and not a small amount, either.  I've now spent two weeks carting equipment from floor to floor confirming what he had to say about his discovery of the magic the 30V supplies bring to the right speakers.  For me they absolutely thrive powering Maraschinos connected directly to a player, suggesting that they take especially well to simple systems.  When the right pieces are in place, less does offer more.

If you are considering the Maraschinos -- and you should -- you should contact Tommy and discuss power supply options.  He's a great guy who will take as much interest in your equipment and enjoyment of music as his own, and he'll make sure that you get the most out of both.  I apologize for it's length, but I hope that the information here will help assure you that Digital Audio Company has a set of amps perfect for your system, big or small, low efficiency or high.

Thanks for reading....             

scooby_scrappy

« Reply #50 on: 5 Apr 2016, 11:23 pm »
I received my Stereo Maraschino (STM) about 10 days ago.  The first thing I noticed was how well the amp was packaged.  I could not believe how light the amp was.  I was use to lifting 40-50 lbs amps.

The STM is my bedroom system so the source will be connected directly to the amp.  My speakers are the WAF Gallo aDiva (4 Ohm) and my current source is an old Ipod Touch.  I will replace the Ipod when the new Nuprime WR-100 is released.  I could never get the Chromecast Audio to work.  I am using a new pair of Morrow speaker cables.

My impressions are based on the STM and Morrow Cables not being broken in.  I would describe sound as nimble and transparent.  The music sounded just right with nothing added or subtracted.  Since this is a bedroom system, I  generally listen at a very low volume and the music still is nimble and transparent even though 4 Ohm speakers.  I cannot say this about my SS and Tube amps.

I will add more as the STM and Morrow Cables get broken in.

Thanks Tommy for building a great amp.

SteveMiller

« Reply #51 on: 6 Apr 2016, 11:34 am »
I have to admit, I had great high expectations for the new Stereo Maraschino.  And this is way back when the Kickstarter was announced in the fall of 2015. At that time I had been very excited still with my amazing Desktop Maraschino pair. Here was a pair of high current classD amplifiers that had taken my system by storm. So good in fact that I even went and upgraded my pre-amp to make sure I was getting everything these sophisticated amps could produce! And thats when Tommy announced the Stereo Maraschino, now known as STM. I was sure I wanted one long before final name, colors or price were decided.

Many months later, and finally my new integrated STM arrived.  Unboxing this beauty was reassuring. The strong carton and custom fit packing was mindfully assembled to ensure that the amplifier and its included outboard power supply would arrive in good shape no matter what shipping adventures might come.  I felt the level of care in packing was another glimpse into how Digital Amplifier Company puts great thought into each aspect of the products they bring to market. The STM amplifier itself was satisfying to hold.  It had a little more weight to it than its size and classD distinction would suggest.  Solid, and well made were appropriate descriptions of a first hands-on. The volume knob and switches are smooth and placed such that the amplifier looks balanced, but purposeful.

Connection and integration into my system was simple and satisfying.  So focussed in its mission, this device needs no user manual.  Simply plug the included power supply into the unit via its multi-pin DIN connector, and the heavy duty IEC cable into the wall.  The STM is built and intended as a fully balanced device.  That means its rear panel happliy accepts and encourages high quality XLR termintated interconnects. Also included are a pair of heavy and well machined XLR to RCA adapters for those whom still require single ended compatability. Speaker cables can be either banana, spade or bare wire terminations. Simple. Straightforward.  I envisioned anyone from pure blooded audiophiles who would appreciate the solid and quality terminals employed herein, to the college student or desktop/bedroom system user who benefits from the well laid out connections that are as easy to access from top down and backwards as they are from fully rear facing the device.  The STM is heavy enough to accept reasonable cabling without ever being threatened to lose its footing. Speaking of, the device ships with four extremely soft and grippy Sorbothane feet.  This little amp will stay where you put it, and in some scenarios that will be important. Think desktop environments where realestate is always shuffling for elbow room.

I put the STM right into the bigboy system, where the fully dual mono Desktop Maraschinos (DTM's) had been. This driving the awesome Zu Audio Message speaker pair.  Equipped with dual 10" full range drivers per side, plus a pro-audio sourced 3" diaphragm tweeter. Thats more square feet of driver than many systems ever employ. Happily the Zu speakers are highly resolving and very effiecient. Turns out the STM likes this match very much!  A very close stand-in for the costlier pair of amplifiers, the STM integrated managed to integrate itself perfectly well.  Of course, it's playmate and source component here is the soon to be released DAC DAC... But that's another story!

Resolution-wise the STM is right on par with the DTM's. And that's giving very high praise.  Digital Amplifier Company is known for extremely high bandwidth and extremely low distortion circuits. Here the STM is living right up to its heritage. Super extended treble, that's maybe tuned just a touch smoother than its brothers. If one were splitting hairs, I would say that STM is tweaked to be system perfect for most modern speakers that are price range appropriate with it, and that ensures long term happiness and compatability with the types of equipment that real-world users in fully digital systems will have on hand today. My real world example of this, is that if you find that after running your system at higher volume for a while you eventually feel like its time to turn it down, then STM will be refreshing.  Firstly you might just find that because of its extremely low self noise and unusually high resolution you wont need to turn it up as much to be fun and involving. The STM grabs you from low on the dial. But when you do accelerate to party level, the STM never gets out of composure.  Its partly the resolution, partly the complete lack of distortion, and partly the super smooth volume control pot. Its a friendly focus. It means you'll be able to sit back and close your eyes and listen critically while finally hearing lyrics clearly that were only hinted at on other systems. It also means that when the music arrives clean and full like it should that you'll have more fun and be more involved.  But it also comes true to find that listening all day while working, cooking, or writing this piece, that the STM deliver music in a compatable, background filling way when asked to that never gets tiring.  You'll be adding more music back into your daily listening because it finally sounds good over your system.  And then there's the bass!

ClassD has always been strong with bass. BUT! Not all classD is the same. Not by a long shot.  Tommy has designed and delivered his best version yet.  I believe STM shreds out a little better bass than its DTM brothers. Not just as perhaps a slightly higher level, but a little more elastic, somewhat more tuneful delivery. It sounds as though you can hear a few more low cycles in each bass note. That's just a treat to hear and feel. I go way out on a limb here and say that STM bass in my system is somehow more fun than any other classD system I've heard, and better than any other classification to date.

In trying out the STM in an alternate and more affordable setup, I chose a pair of Klipsh bookshelf speakers, recently available at big box retailers. They employ a smallish 6" woofer, and a largish horn tweeter that is about the same 6" dimension at its mouth. I've found these speakers to be a little droning, dry, and shouty most of the time. But the horn loaded tweeter does reveal quite a bit of what you feed it. Certainly it doesnt gloss over or polish up the delivery at all.  As a sort of torture test the STM was set up with these Klipsh in a very large room 20' deep, 30' wide, and 21' high. For the source, an older iPod was connected via 1/8trs into the front panel of STM.  I cued up a playlist of my more fun and energetic music.  Pretty sure that this wouldnt work, I was ready to find the limits and let STM down easy.  Ever feel one of those uh-oh moments set in?

6" woofers in a room this large cant possibly sound this good.  How the?  Track after track I was really having fun. The STM easily found the current to drive these mid efficiency bookshelf speakers to church filling levels. This building can actually hold 200 people and the STM drove the SPL to true entertainment levels and there was some travel remaining on the volume dial. No real heat buildup to speak of, and certainly zero listening fatigue. Color me impressed. The STM just gets down to boogie and doesnt smear, color, or infect the music it plays in any way.  If anything it seems to have a freeing effect.  As if it finds more space in the sound. It loosens up the track and then lets it positively rip like  a guitar solo or a drum bombastic.

3 hours later, and the battery waning on my iPod I just realized that I'd had more fun for less money than I ever thought possible in this hobby.  This rig I could live with on a desert island.  Its a do it all, take up less space and energy doing it, blow your friends gear away while keeping your spouse smiling kind of fun! Hero! After years of buying and trying multi thousand dollar amps, preamps, cabling and sources many a'philes and music lovers alike eventually succumb to or settle on a system that covers their hot points at a more comfortable budget as life soaks up more and more of what was once disposable income.  Here and Now Digital Amplifier Company has delivered a product that shuns that trend. No settling required!  You dont have to give in and accept a lower level of performance. The STM delivers a world class performance for crazy low investment.

Buy this thing. NOW. You'll love it.     ....Start finding homes for your old gear right away. You dont need it anymore. 

Strongly Recommended!

SteveMiller

« Reply #52 on: 6 Apr 2016, 11:36 am »

OzarkTom

« Reply #53 on: 9 Apr 2016, 11:03 pm »

If that is your sub, bet the amp will sound  better off of the sub.

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #54 on: 11 Apr 2016, 12:22 am »
I snagged a pair of 48v In-Line Maraschinos from Tommy for a steal a few months back. I've been waiting to comment until I had time to evaluate, but I feel comfortable now.
The short version is that the Maraschinos are spectacular amps, full stop. They're not "good for their size" or "good for the price" or "good for solid state" or any of those caveats, they're just great period. They are dead quiet, capable of huge power output and dynamic swings (and I don't even have the 60v...), produce extremely detailed and controlled bass, lovely uncolored midrange and sweet treble. Couple that with the fact that they sit in standby, come on instantly requiring no warm up, and turn themselves back off makes them incredibly easy to live with.
I've primarily listened to them with Kef LS50s and Snell Type E IIs. The Kefs are more revealing, and harder to drive. I have listened to the Kefs in the past with a Marantz reference integrated, Rega Elicit R, Nuforce digital amp, and a Parasound Halo integrated. So admittedly all integrateds vs the monoblock Maraschinos, but some solid gear and similar price levels. In my opinion, the Maraschinos better all of them. They control the speakers and the music just floats in the air. I listen mostly using a Wyred4Sound mPre as a preamp, although I also tried driving them direct with a 2v dac output.
This review will be briefer than many because I honestly haven't found anything the Maraschinos don't do extremely well. If I'm trying to find fault; some tube designs have more of that holographic richness in the midrange, but to me they don't offer the noise floor, ease of use/logistics, and tiny size of the Maraschinos. I've also heard some amps that do the "huge power and bass" thing better than the Marschinos, but they have all been massive 80 lb beasts. I suspect the 60v power supplies would get even closer in that realm too.
So my simple parting thought is to say if you're on the fence, grab a pair and give them a try. The sound quality, power and size are simply astonishing, and I think Tommy and DAC have a huge hit on their hands.

- Eric B.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2016, 02:13 pm by fiveoclockfriday »

GregC

« Reply #55 on: 11 Apr 2016, 12:53 am »
I snagged a pair of 48v In-Line Maraschinos from Tommy for a steal a few months back. I've been waiting to comment until I had time to evaluate, but I feel comfortable now.
The short version is that the Maraschinos are spectacular amps, full stop. They're not "good for their size" or "good for the price" or "good for solid state" or any of those caveats, they're just great period. They are dead quiet, capable of huge power output and dynamic swings (and I don't even have the 60v...), produce extremely detailed and controlled bass, lovely uncolored midrange and sweet treble. Couple that with the fact that they sit in standby, come on instantly requiring no warm up, and turn themselves back off makes them incredibly easy to live with.
I've primarily listened to them with Kef LS50s and Snell Type E IIs. The Kefs are more revealing, and harder to drive. I have listened to the Kefs in the past with a Marantz reference integrated, Rega Elicit R, Nuforce digital amp, and a Parasound Halo integrated. So admittedly all integrateds vs the monoblock Maraschinos, but some solid gear and similar price levels. In my opinion, the Maraschinos better all of them. They control the speakers and the music just floats in the air. I listen mostly using a Wyred4Sound mPre as a preamp, although I also tried driving them direct with a 2v dac output.
This review will be briefer than many because I honestly haven't found anything the Maraschinos don't do extremely well. If I'm trying to find fault; some tube designs have more of that holographic richness in the midrange, but to me they don't offer the noise floor, ease of use/logistics, and tiny size of the Maraschinos. I've also heard some amps that do the "huge power and bass" thing better than the Marschinos, but they have all been massive 80 lb beasts. I suspect the 60v power supplies would get even closer in that realm too.
So my simple parting thought is to say if you're on the fence, grab a pair and give them a try. The sound quality, power and size are simply astonishing, and I think Tommy and DAC have a huge hit on their hands.

Your review is concise and well written.  Your review matches my opinion of Tommy's amps.  I just wanted say that I started with the 48v power supplies (and still use them for my center and surround speakers), but the 60v power supplies bumped up the performance of the inline amps in my system through more controlled bass and improved dynamics. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #56 on: 11 Apr 2016, 01:03 am »
I am waiting for the 30v power supplies. At the SPL's I play my system at, I know these will be perfect for me.

jseipp

« Reply #57 on: 11 Apr 2016, 02:13 am »
As I've already written, I've found the 30V power supplies to be magical in the right application.  I've watched your system evolve for a long time and I've taken inspiration along the way -- it will be cool to hear what you think of the new power supplies. :)

roscoeiii

« Reply #58 on: 11 Apr 2016, 03:24 pm »

By comparison, the 60V supplies give a more laid-back presentation, wonderfully musical but without the degree of magic that the new supplies provide.

Did this more laid back presentation remain the case when you used the 60v on your less efficient speakers?

jseipp

« Reply #59 on: 11 Apr 2016, 03:48 pm »
Did this more laid back presentation remain the case when you used the 60v on your less efficient speakers?

No -- in fact the opposite was true: the 30V were more laid back on the less efficient speakers, although the difference only really showed when the volume was turned up (beyond low listening levels) and then music with the 60V supplies came across as more dynamic.