« Reply #121 on: 12 May 2017, 02:31 am »
Also try Boz Scaggs, "Speak Low".

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
STM review originally posted in Facebook
« Reply #122 on: 14 May 2017, 09:54 pm »
"WOW! I got my STM a few days ago, and I have to give credit where credit is due. “Tommy you did good” as a Southern nanny might say. I was using my vinyl setup to play a few of my favorite tunes first. I then moved things to the digital side of the room and found just as much favor with the STM as on the analog side. The is a tune by C. McVie on her wonderful solo album called “Gotta A Hold On Me”, and for many amplifies the backing vocals on lessor amplifies are very harsh and fatiguing. Not the case with the STM. The song has a great bass-line and some snap from the percussion instruments. I have heard this song on many amplifiers. You have to spend lots more money to do a better job!"

Gary S
Berthoud CO

smargo

Re: STM review originally posted in Facebook
« Reply #123 on: 15 May 2017, 12:40 am »
"WOW! I got my STM a few days ago, and I have to give credit where credit is due. “Tommy you did good” as a Southern nanny might say. I was using my vinyl setup to play a few of my favorite tunes first. I then moved things to the digital side of the room and found just as much favor with the STM as on the analog side. The is a tune by C. McVie on her wonderful solo album called “Gotta A Hold On Me”, and for many amplifies the backing vocals on lessor amplifies are very harsh and fatiguing. Not the case with the STM. The song has a great bass-line and some snap from the percussion instruments. I have heard this song on many amplifiers. You have to spend lots more money to do a better job!"

Gary S
Berthoud CO

really quite surprised by the stereo maraschino (king edition) - in a good way -  like i said before i cant tell what kind of amplifier im listening to - to say this is a digital amp - is so misleading

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: MARASCHINO REVIEWS
« Reply #124 on: 20 Jul 2017, 03:38 pm »
Recent review (11-JUL-2017) of 60V KING Desktop Maraschinos:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151492.0

A quote from the review:
"Background,  BLACK! BLACK!    Soundstage, WIDE & ENVELOPING!       Soundstage depth,  Depending on the manor of recording.   VAST!       Musicians and instruments in space,  BEAUTIFULLY  DEFINED! (On many songs Holographic.  I had the impression that I could stand up and walk among the musicians.)     Bass,  TIGHT, FULL, PUNCHY and filled with all that makes up bass notes and all notes,  TONEALITY and TEXTURE!    Piano, Drums, Horns, Vibraphone (wow), Electric and Acoustic Guitars, Cymbals and Voices all had the inner harmonics and air that made their sound breathtaking."

GregC

« Reply #125 on: 22 Jul 2017, 06:09 pm »
I have been very happy with my inline amps with 60v power supplies.  The dynamics are explosive and the sound is well balanced from top to bottom.  Tommy's amps are a true marvel in high end audio.   

Nocturne79

« Reply #126 on: 14 Aug 2017, 04:24 am »
I purchased a STM amp with the low power supply sorry forgot which one it is and have used it to power my Omega HO Alinco towers.  I have to say everything everyone says about these amps are true clear highs, smooth mids and fantastic bass. Great soundstage and very natural tone for playing anything i throw at it.

I have never felt ever once that the highs were grainy or too much.   The amp runs cool and is very compact which is really neat for me and my space.  I run it signal end and just have spotify premium and i could not be happier. 

I do find my torii MKIV gives the tube magic to my music but the STM amp comes so close that I listen to it about as much as i listen with the torii.  These are really great little amps and cant get over how small and simple the setup is and having a toddler in the house i never have to worry about the little toddler getting hurt such as when using tubes, they get hot lol.
below is a shot of my setup.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
IN-LINE MARASCHINO REVIEW
« Reply #127 on: 26 Aug 2017, 08:35 pm »
Here's a STELLAR review of the In-Line Maraschino (48V with upgraded WBT Gold posts):
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152271.0

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
DAC DAC review comparing HS vs TL versions in the Audio Beatnik
« Reply #128 on: 3 Sep 2017, 10:40 pm »
DAC DAC review comparing HS vs TL versions in the Audio Beatnik.  Check it out!
http://theaudiobeatnik.com/index.php/2017/08/02/comparing-high-spec-version-tube-like-version-digital-amplifier-company-dac-dac/

"I think both the HS and TL versions of the DAC DAC are simply remarkable. These hot-rodded DACs don’t give you any frills, but they give you really great sound for a reasonable price. I know there are a lot of little DACs for under $300, but I haven’t heard one that can touch either of these two."

jonbee

No need for a Spectral now!
« Reply #129 on: 13 Sep 2017, 10:11 pm »
Sorry, double post
JB

jonbee

Re: No need for a Spectral now!
« Reply #130 on: 13 Sep 2017, 10:56 pm »

I recently bought a pair of Avalon Opus speakers, with ceramic mids and tweets and a dual 9" woofer system. Like many Avalons, they are known as a finicky speaker to get sounding right. They are easily the highest resolution speaker of the 250 or so pairs I've owned, which cuts both ways, of course.

I managed to get quite good sound with my modded NuPrime ST-10, but felt there was yet more to be extracted from the Opus. I was hoping for a little better woofer control and a bit smoother, less bright presentation from the mids on up. These speakers were developed with Spectral amps, which have 2mhz. bandwidth and prodigious damping. A friend has one, which I've admired.
Tommy's amps have a very wide bandwidth and high damping, and I thought the 60V version might have the cajones I wanted.
Today I got the King Maraschinos up and running, and they are everything I wanted and more.
What a g** d*** superb amp!
The Avalons are now singing like nothing I've heard in my home in my 49 years in the hobby.
Transparency, image depth, width and solidity, bottom end control. Beautiful detail, air, and delicacy on top. All aces. Perfect immediacy and astonishing detail, yet with notably less brightness and glare. The whole enchilada.
I noted Charlie_flowers above successfully used Maraschinos with MG3.7s, which is a damn tough test, as are the Opus. Same story.
I've probably owned 75 good amps over the years, too, and heard a great many more. Matchups tell the final tale, of course, but these little guys stand tall with anything I've heard at $10k or under, IMO, and would embarrass some higher priced units.
My simple advice if you are looking for a truly great amp that will do justice to even the finest speakers- just contact Tommy and try one. Pretty simple, no brain required.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2017, 01:17 am by jonbee »

MttBsh

« Reply #131 on: 14 Sep 2017, 01:59 am »
Thanks Jonbee for your excellent review. As much as I love my Job 225 amp, I've recently been thinking about trying out the Maraschinos after reading so many great testimonials. Are you using the King Stereo Maraschino STM (60V) which is a single stereo unit or the King 60V Desktop Maraschino which is two separate modules? Digital Amplifier Company's product line can be just a bit confusing...

Can anyone comment on any sound differences between these two different 60V offerings? Many thanks for any info.

jonbee

« Reply #132 on: 14 Sep 2017, 02:22 am »
Are you using the King Stereo Maraschino STM (60V) which is a single stereo unit or the King 60V Desktop Maraschino which is two separate modules? Digital Amplifier Company's product line can be just a bit confusing...
Complete dual mono- two desktop monoblocks and 2 PSs. I wanted to get the stiffest drive I could for the Avalons. Easier to drive speakers may not need this.
If you want to improve on the Job this may well be the cheapest route that could actually provide meaningful improvement.
I'd ask Tommy what he thinks about the two models. I'm not sure many have spent a lot of time with both models.

MttBsh

« Reply #133 on: 14 Sep 2017, 02:58 am »
Good info, thanks Jonbee

uncola

« Reply #134 on: 14 Sep 2017, 03:01 am »
I own some 48v Inline Maraschino monoblocks and I recently had the chance to audition the D-sonic m3a 1200 stereo amp in my home for a week..  that one is a 600 watt per channel at 8 ohm monster with a new class a custom input buffer.. long story short I prefer the inline maraschinos, just sounded more transparent. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #135 on: 14 Sep 2017, 03:21 am »
I have had a lot of Class D amps come through my system and none has come close to my Cherry amps in detail and transparency. I am using the 30V PS. On both my Zellatons and Audio Nirvana alnico full range speakers the SQ is superb.

The Job 225 amp I use to own sounded grainy in comparison.

jonbee

« Reply #136 on: 14 Sep 2017, 02:26 pm »
I have had a lot of Class D amps come through my system and none has come close to my Cherry amps in detail and transparency.
I've had quite a few as well, starting with a BelCanto EVO200.2 (not too good), several PS Audio Icepower amps, stock and modded (somewhat opaque, veiled top end). I felt the N-Core was a real step up in transparency, though still a bit hashy and bright on top. The modded NuPrime ST-10 is better yet, having a very nice balance of traits and no particular weaknesses. (I'm still using 2 NuPrime DAC10H in my systems, 1 stock and 1 modded, and have no plans to change). I still use the N-core in my office and a TBI Millenia in the bedroom (nice sounding, sweet, musical).
I'm a member of a small audio group with great systems. I'm the only member that has embraced class d amps.
The other members use various topologies, and their excellent amps are all more expensive than the KINGs. I feel the KINGs match up in every way to the best of the others, whereas the previous class d iterations fell short in various aspects.

orientalexpress

« Reply #137 on: 14 Sep 2017, 02:39 pm »
I love DAC amp,not many class D amp sound come close.I"m still using the original 4800 with upgrade power supply.Jonbee I'm glad you finally try it. :thumb:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
CRISPIN review in Stereo Times
« Reply #138 on: 26 Oct 2017, 10:09 pm »
Check it out:
http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/orchard-audio-crispin/

"CRISPIN is one warm and wonderful sounding product with the Maraschino Cherry Core"....

Wind Chaser

« Reply #139 on: 12 Dec 2017, 09:38 pm »