HK Optimum Crossover Freq?

durholt

« on: 23 Aug 2004, 03:24 pm »
I have 5 Emeralds serving as Center, Front, and Surround. I also have a Harman Kardon 525 serving out the sound along with a Force Sub to kick out the lows. I am trying to determine the best configuration for the most complete usage of the speakers.

The 525 has a Speaker setup that has all the speakers currenly set at small. I am trying to determine if I should perhaps use the XOver option and set their individual XOver Freq. What is the best XOver Freq for the Emerald / Force setup I have in place?

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2004, 07:28 pm »
With all 5 bring the same - why try different for the rear? See what sounds best in your room between 80-90-100. 80 is everybodys standard, but it won't hurt to try the higher numbers.

I used to own a 525. It should sound great with the Emeralds!

Good Luck - Let us know how it works out.
E

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2004, 09:00 pm »
80 is likely to be the optimum, but depending on relative placement etc. 90 or 100 may work out as well or better. The higher the cutoff, the greater will be the apparent dynamics of the system. The tradeoff is that as the frequency goes up it becomes easier to localize the sub, particularly if it is less than optimum in placement, phase, or volume. Let us know what seems to work the best!

durholt

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2004, 09:51 pm »
Thanks to both of you. The 80 is what I was looking for and it definitely sounds the best. The only thing left is to get a good digital coax cable from my DVD to the HK for true digital sound.

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2004, 10:18 pm »
Quote from: durholt
The only thing left is to get a good digital coax cable from my DVD to the HK for true digital sound.

This fits the "good digital coax" bill rather nicely...